Education | Gay Youth | News | North Carolina

Booneville, NC Parents to Hold Separate Prom to Keep Their Kids Separate from Gay Teen Couple?

Teens

Remember North Carolina gay teen couple Chase and Jordan, whose prom dreams were saved by Jordan's mom after she stepped in and threatened action against the school?

Well, things have apparently taken a turn for the worse.

Leesa Nixon writes, on Jack Mackenroth's blog:

"We agreed to do an interview with Fox8 news after they contacted us wanting to do a story about this, the reason we agreed was to offer hope to other GLBT teens who may find themselves in the same situation at their school. Since that story aired, I have felt an extreme amount of disappointment in my fellow man and North Carolina neighbors. Some of the comments that we have received about two gay boys attending the senior prom have been hateful, disheartening, and some have even been scary. They have threatened to hold a separate prom so that their 'straight students' aren’t exposed to Jordan and Chase’s gayness. They have raised 'holy' hell, preaching nonstop about the abomination of homosexuality and I have been told repeatedly, that not only, both boys, but myself included are going to hell."

Nixon, who included some of the parents' hateful comments, says it's unclear what will happen.

Watch the Fox8 interview, which aired earlier this month, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Gay NC Teens Allowed to Go to Prom After Cool Mom Steps In [tr]

Comments

1. @ David Ehrenstein - My point is not that kids should submit to the status quo. In fact, I think it's very good for these young men and women to take a stand and I commend their bravery for doing so. I just don't that they (and kids in general) should submit to these standards through some type of ritualized tradition to begin with.

The whole concept of a prom is reinforcing this idea where a boy belongs with a girl and vice versa (i.e. where one kid is expected to bring another kid of the opposite gender). The whole construct and rules are based on this. For instance, they have to registers guests (for approval) ahead of time, they enforce dress codes, they get announced as a couple/ dates as they enter the prom, elections of prom king and queens, etc. So now, instead of celebrating an achievement - this becomes a human rights battleground.

(I keep reflecting back to my own grad formal 10 years ago - where I wasn't pressured or required to bring a specific date. (I've gone with a bunch of guys from my usual clique) - and yeah I could have gone with a boyfriend and I don't think the admin would have made an issue because the focal point was celebrating what the graduates have accomplished - not who we brought to dinner...)

At the core of it, I just don't think it's fair for any students (gay or straight), when little changes [to how these proms are considered and administered] could have made everyone's life a lot easier. Particularly, I don't think these GLBT teens should have been put in the position where they to have to put themselves out for the national scrutiny (and be judged publicly by their local community and beyond) or to bear our expectations on them as social activist/ rights pioneers. Can't we (as adults) let our youth enjoy their youth without making things more difficult for them?

Posted by: Dan | Apr 29, 2010 1:28:13 AM

2. MIKE C:

As I have said before, I never made any type of "DEAL" with the school not to go to the media!!

Furthermore, the media came to me and asked for the story about what was going on, which BTW was after the school told Chase not to tell anyone about their decision, because they didn't want other kids, who may be gay or otherwise, to change their prom dates!

And after they told the media, that none of this ever happened and that they had a strict non-discrimination policy!

What would you have me do, sit there with my mouth shut and allow them to stomp on the human and civil rights of these kids?

The point of speaking out on this matter is this, if it makes it easier on one GBLT teen to enjoy their constitutionally protected rights in this country, at their school..well then it is worth all the bullshit.

You do not end discrimination, hatred and intolerance by sitting quietly in the corner, the only thing silence does is enable the abuses, these violations of rights to continue and increase.

I for one, want a better world for my children, their partners and all GBLT...what do you want? And exactly what are you willing to do to make that happen? Equality will not be handed to you, you are going to have to fight for it every step of the way!

So either get out there and speak up and fight for equality or get the hell out of the way and back into your corner with your mouth shut! There is no middle ground either you want to be treated equally and are willing to fight for it or you just sit there with your mouth shut and hope that it comes to you! As for me and my house, we will shout it from the roof tops!

As for why it was filmed at a gas station, well that is simple we live in the middle of no where and agree to meet them in town, to be nice.

I am not trying to be a bitch, but honestly, don't demand equality on one hand and then condemn those who are speaking out for it on the other.

Posted by: faghagmom | Apr 29, 2010 2:53:50 AM

3. Mike C:

I am sorry if I seem too harsh in my previous comment. I am trying to fight so my children are treated just like everyone else!

I want them to be able to get married, I want them to be able to have children or adopt and if I have to start by fighting the school just so they attend the prom, with the date of their choice, then I will start with the school!

Posted by: faghagmom | Apr 29, 2010 3:09:49 AM

4. We can't forget about the South or the Midwest -- that's where the majority of the problems still are, as this case and all the others we've been hearing about aptly demonstrate.

As for what FagHag Mom has been doing, bravo. -She's doing what a mom is supposed to do.- Moms (and Dads) are supposed to fight for their kids, they are supposed to raise holy-hell, from the street corner to the media and all across the net.

We've been listening to the nutjob parents nabbing headlines when they protest the teaching of even the mildest of positive information about homosexuality, all in the name of "The Children."

That people here are complaining about a mom who is looking out for the best interests of her gay kids AND the rights of -all- kids at the school, is utterly ridiculous.

Posted by: Jody | Apr 29, 2010 3:20:58 AM

5. you know it is funny, I was talking to a friend at the gym yesterday who is from Mexico. In Mexico, a very Catholic country, same sex marriage is legal...that speak volumes to me about the forces of this country. Here...we can never seem to get away from the bible. People don't use any common sense, they just stick nose into the bible as though it is some manual for life. it is really sad.
    And for those that don't think the mother should have taken this to the press...how do these stories get out there if they are not publicized? do you think ACT UP would have been successful if it was quiet? Think about that. It is a small leap, but this will soon change the landscape.

Posted by: Paul | Apr 29, 2010 6:43:40 AM

6. Leesa, whom I have gotten to know quite well because of our shared experience, is a no-nonsense, to the point, call-it-as-you-see-it sort of person...she is extremely courageous, adoring of her kids, and an inspiration to us all!

As a gay parent there are many issues one faces with one's straight kids...who also have to face silly comments ("so which of your dad's is the mom?" for example). It is tiresome. Our son came up with a solution so people would stop whispering...when we enrolled him in a private school, on his first day of class he introduced himself to the class by saying, "hi, my name is Zac. I'm adopted and have TWO dads...any questions?"

He empowered himself and took away from his new classmates any chance of them using his family as a source of shame...my husband and I are very involved with his school (Catholic) and function perfectly well as an open, married gay couple in a Catholic school environment.

We need more parents like Leesa!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Apr 29, 2010 7:40:33 AM

7. ARTURO:

And we need more big hearted, loving people like you in this world...you are the best!

Leesa

Posted by: faghagmom | Apr 29, 2010 4:23:49 PM

8. The ones going to hell will not be gays, God said he has a place for gays in heaven.

Posted by: hinbww | Apr 29, 2010 4:42:26 PM

9. If she had not threatened to sue the school board her son wouldn't have been able to go to the prom with his boyfriend AT ALL. The press could have gotten wind of this from any party at some point, especially if it had gone forward. She pays taxes in the school district, her son attends the school in question. He ought to be allowed to be incuded without this type of shunning. How we as readers found out about it is immaterial. Whats important here is that NC bigots are taking pages from Mississippi biggots book.

Posted by: g_whiz | Apr 29, 2010 6:59:24 PM