Report: School District Punks Lesbian Student Constance McMillen by Secretly Moving Alternative Prom

A north Mississippi blog is reporting that the alternative prom thrown by Itawamba School District on Friday to replace the one that was cancelled because Constance McMillen wanted to bring a female date was a sham, with only seven kids attending.

The blog alleges that those organizing the prom (possibly in cahoots with school officials) pulled a bait and switch and organized yet another "secret" prom to which Constance wasn't invited..

Here's the report:Constance

The prom the school district promised at the country club in Fulton was a ruse. Only seven kids, Constance, and her date showed, and at the same time, everyone else held a “real” prom at a secret location out in the county.

This is all after the school district had represented to Judge Davidson that Constance was invited to a parent-sponsored prom to be held at Tupelo Furniture Market. The school represented that Constance was invited in court filings, testimony, and representations by the school district and its lawyers. In reality, Constance had not been invited, but, based on the representations by the district and its counsel, Judge Davidson denied Constance’s request for a preliminary injunction that she could go to the prom.

The school reneged, or possibly didn’t ever intend to follow through on its representations to the court. The parents didn’t want Constance at the prom and didn’t want to be sued (as they told the Clarion Ledger), and so on Tuesday announced the cancellation of the prom.

But what they’d done was secretly relocated it.

Shortly thereafter, the school’s attorney announced (on Wednesday) that “the prom” was to be held at the Fulton Country Club on Friday. But yet only seven kids showed up.

Meanwhile, there’s a rumor that school officials were directly involved in setting up the “fake” prom.

If true, this is of course very disturbing news. As of now it's just a report, so take it as that. I'll follow up with any more news, reports, if any of these reports are verified.

Comments

1. Travis says

the fake prom, the real prom, pant suits, hillbillies…drama much? While I feel for the girl and it is discrimination…

Are there not bigger fish to fry? Does this girl realize that any employer can fire her for being gay in her home state?

Fight the good fight girl, but maybe choose one that will matter in 6 months…

2. Robert says

I can understand all the crazies in charge ruining it all, but how on earth did they practically get the entire school to go along with it and not tell her? What the fuck is wrong with that student body?

3. says

OK. This is war.
    Go straight back to Judge Davidson, file a motion to re-enter the original proceedings and add a motion for contempt against those responsible for misleading the court in a deliberate way.
    Also seek aggravated damages for such contempt and seek at order for attachment of the school district members.

4. says

I support Constance 100%, however I agree that maybe this is a tempest in a teapot. Re-enter the proceedings in court, because we just can’t have public schools willfully violating a court order… and sue their pants off… but I agree that focusing on something that will be relevant in 6 months would be the way to go. Frankly, I think the best thing she could do would be to get the hell out of that sesspool of a state.

What I want to know is who were the other 7 people at the fake prom?

5. says

I think it matters because it won’t be the last time this happens. Next year it’ll be another kid gay ejected from an important rite of passage that straight kids take for granted.

This isn’t a tempest in a teapot. It’s actually worth fighting for.

6. walter says

the school district seems to wasting a lot of time and money to keep from doing the right thing. i hope the whole trailer park crowd gets wiped out. this is clear show of true and up standing christian principles.
    teach hate and deceit instead of love.

7. Marco says

Disgusting am fed up of gay haters and their hanger on’s .. being Christian is no excuse for this ..

She must have felt awful when she realized what the spineless , yellow bellied , haters had done !!

Alot of us behiond you Constance .. as for the haters (straight to hell)

8. says

This will still matter in six months, because schools will be planning their proms for next year.

And how those proms are handled will teach young adults how to behave towards the LGBT folks they encounter as they go through life.

This isn’t just about Constance missing a party. It’s about what ethics, or lack thereof, that schools are teaching.

9. seeldee says

So, no tweets from attendees? No FaceBook photo updates? I find it hard to believe that those yokels managed to keep it quite if the secret prom did actually happen.

Still, with only 7 kids, plus Constance and her date, showing up at the country club, something isn’t adding up — I don’t think that many kids would have boycotted the event if that was the only prom option available to them. Weird.

10. Disgusted American says

Constance – put all this behind you – take that summer Inernship ellen offered in NY – and Expand your Horizons…you may find out – that you’eve actually OUTGROWN all those immature pussies and that small town pettiness!

11. How Sad says

My heart breaks for those seven kids that showed up and no one else was there! Can you imagine, a party and you were the only ones that showed up and the “real” party was somewhere else? That is just so mean and vile. These parents are teaching their kids to be hateful and spiteful. Sad, just sad.

12. How Sad says

The next question is, were the other kids duped as well that went to the fake prom? Why weren’t they invited to the “real” prom, were they not part of the clique? Were they also not popular and shunned? I hope somebody looks into this as well!! With parents like these it is no wonder some of the hateful comments have come out of her classmates. This just stinks all around.

13. ravewulf says

Wow that district sucks.

I don’t even know what I would do in that situation.

I bet Constance can’t wait to just get out of there and go to college, and I couldn’t blame her in the least if she does feel like that.

14. Fred says

Seems to me a successful outcome stemming from the discrimination lawsuit was assured when the school violated a court order to invite Constance to Prom. ACLU can easily depose other students in an effort to ascertain details of the relocation and how it was communicated and by whom.

I will enjoy watching upcoming coverage of this. I’m curious how the court will determine damages.

15. Charlie says

It will be interesting to see if this story is true. With all of the uproar the story has had so far if this really happened you would think a reputable news source (like the AP) would be covering it by now. So far, just Towleroad and Perez Hilton pushing this story. It is clear that the best course for Constance McMillen is to graduate, go to college, and shake the dust of that hick town off.

Of course, this would be good advice for every teenager in the state.

16. Ruddigore says

There have been several comments that state that this is somehow inconsequential and the Constance should pick a battle “that will matter in 6 months”, or that she should put this behind her and move away from Mississippi. There are many gay and lesbian kids that will be coming up behind Constance in the same Mississppi school systems for years to come and they will be facing the same discrimination and hatred. It is important to fight the little battles as well as the big. Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat on the bus was initially a small battle, but her actions (and Irene Morgan’s before her) led to larger changes in policy and law. While Constance McMillen’s and Derrick Martin’s struggles with their school boards over a prom date may not be on same level as Rosa Parks, their battles are important to them and to many gay and lesbian kids in high school. Try to remember the issues that were important to you when you were 18, stop being so dismissive and give the kids a little support.

17. says

@Ruddugore: I agree fight all battles, big or small.
    George W. Bush treated the Geneva Conventions with contempt.
    The law on wiretapping only with a warrent was treated with contempt.
    Habeus Corpus was treated with contempt.
    Yoo and Bybee wrote their bogus opinions to serve their masters and treated hundreds of years of precedent with contempt.
    People were locked up without trial or resort to Human Rights with the contempt of Bush.
    No small battle is too small to fight.
    Haven’t we learned that from the slogans, the grafitti , the thugs of the 1930’s ? no inequality no slur no put-down is too small to ignore.
    That’s my opinion. that’s what I believe.

18. LG says

I was at the prom and I have no affiliation one way or the other. The fact is, a prom was held, 12 people (rather than 7, I know it isn’t a big difference) were there, and 4 left when Constance walked in the door. There were numerous parents and police officers at the prom, a lot of food, nice decorations, an awesome DJ…all of the things a prom should be, minus the people. There was a private party held by students and their parents at a private location and it is my understanding that most of the students attended it. And it was no secret that a party was going to be held. It was not billed or represented as a “prom” in anyway as far as I understand things, and surely the school system cannot be held responsible because those individuals took it upon themselves to compete with the prom and refused to invite Constance. The actual event was the real deal, but people were so upset at the entire situation that they chose not to attend.

19. Catalystic says

This is contempt of the Court, violators can be jailed.
    This is also an act of harasment since the intent was to exclude and ridicule the victim.

20. soleftimright says

Aren’t these people exhausted from exercising so much hate? I can’t even imagine the level of insanity it takes to keep this kind of nonsense up. I certainly hope Constance is getting out of there as soon as she graduates.

21. Marco says

Yeah they did it to make her look stupid .. well guess what jokes on them .. all the community here in england are behind you constance and let me say this ..

To tha haters in the words of Tyler Durden –

All the ways you wish you could be, that’s me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

^ so stick that in ya pipe ya homophobic hicks !! As for the decent broadminded folk in the state .. feel bad for ya all .

22. heather says

BTW GUYS TAKE A LOOK AT MYSPACE AND FACEBOOK THERE ARE PIX EVERYWHERE OF THEIR PROM I am honestly so embarrassed. I am from Mississippi and sad to say it. Everyone get online and harass as many as these students, parents. and school board as possible. Shut down the school and let all the teens get geds or become farmers they will not get far anyways. With this kind of attitude they really need to be shown a lesson that you cannot treat people like this. Not only is it morally wrong but it is against the LAW there are adults encouraging this behavior. These teens need to be taken into protective custody because the “morals” they are being taught are child abuse. They are only as ignorant as they are brought up to be. I wish there was a way to arrest the parents and school board.

23. Disgusted says

Oh, yeah, there are plenty of photos and comments on Facebook. That’s how they found the “fake prom” scam in the first place. Just go and search on “Itawamba County Agricultural High School,” and you’ll find the images soon enough. A lot of kids–and some of the parents, for God’s sake–haven’t bothered to use anything but the skimpiest FB privacy settings. That’s stupid and dangerous all by itself, but that should come as no surprise, considering. The “real prom” seems to have been nicknamed a “dance party” in a feeble attempt to tippy-toe around the court order, but plenty of kids are just openly calling it “prom.” It seems to have been held April 2 at the Evergreen Community Center in Itawamba County. Parents appear to have organized it. One kid openly thanked them, and some replied. The legal question is whether school officials were involved in the planning. Since the nickname “dance party” appears not to have stuck, and dozens of kids are calling the event “prom,” the school may be liable, even though it sent its “chaperones” to watch the kids at “fake prom.” Just to make it all the more beautiful, a number of other kids at “fake prom” were special ed students. Nothing like tricking some gay kids and some kids with “learning differences” into staying away from the teens we actually care about!

24. fantastikitty says

Tell the truth about them. They are bigoted, hateful, and mean-spirited, and I fear for their children and this community if this is the standard of behavior that they are raising their children to.

Constance, I hope that you will rise above all of this horrible behavior and allow yourself to become the beautiful and amazing woman you were meant to be.

25. contragenic says

This is not just a Towleroad report, I received a similar report this morning from Daily Beast that presented the same info as fact. For Travis, this is most likely the very first time Constance has had to fight and she rose to the occasion. Certainly there were people who advised Constance that this was a not a big deal, and she made the choice to be heard rather than lie down and take it like a good southern girl.
    I am looking forward to hearing more from Constance as this incident has no doubt lit a fire under her ass that won’t be going out any time soon.
    The actions of the school board in this matter are intentionally cruel,bordering on hate crime, malicious, cowardly, and hateful. It will be very disappointing if the ACLU does not follow up on this shameful situation.

26. contragenic says

Quoting fantastikitty,”I think that what makes me the most angry about this is all the comments about how people did this to this young woman because they are Christians. Speaking as a Christian, it is very difficult for me to recognize these bigoted, mean-spirited people as my brothers and sisters in Christ.”
    Please, please read that bible again and see it for the hate manifesto that it is. The xian bible is full of situations where people are separated into us and them categories. Throw the dirty book out and realize that there is No Them baby, it’s just us, people, humans who have been forced into believing the hate filled language in that bible, often at gun or sword point. Religion is to blame for this situation and many others, how long we allow it to continue is dependent on our willingness to be like Constance and rise up.

27. Johnny says

bravo! I think its wonderful the kids through their own prom at a secret location so that she and her drama wasn’t involved. I would of loved to be part of it.

28. Anonymous says

I find it rather hypocritical that some people who are angry about discrimination are using terms such as “redneck” and “Hillbilly.” Sounds like you came from the same mold as the people that you are fighting against. I don’t support the actions of this town, but I will not stoop to their level by discriminating against the discriminators.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ”

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

29. says

Bahahahaha, that’s hilarious!

A secret prom! Next, we’ll have secret classrooms and secret football games! Then maybe we’ll move on to secret lives, and we’ll move into the closet you guys vacated so you’ll still be excluded!

Rofl

30. Jay says

Typical close-minded Christians (probably Protestants). With a dose of redneck thrown in. Before anybody leaps on my shit, let me tell you that my boss and several coworkers are close-minded Christian Protestants who go to the same church, share the same narrow view of LGBT, Obama, Republicans, blacks- you name it. I’m a Christian but Roman Catholic, and I’m ashamed to be associated with boss & cows- because It’s a shame to see somebody so devout in their faiths that can hate, hate, hate so much, not be open minded or open hearted to their fellow men. Or women.

Poor Constance, she needs to get out of that dickwater burg.

31. Anonymous says

Just because these people have an opposing view of homosexuality doesn’t mean that their concerns aren’t legitimate in their eyes. From what I have seen on this message board, the gay community is as full of hate for the “redneck, christian, bible thumping” community as they have for them. In posting hateful comments, you are just as wrong as they are for discriminating as they are.

To put it in perspective:

You are gay, you are wrong in their eyes

You are christian and hate gays, you are wrong in the gay community’s eyes.

Two opposing views, two sides to the issue. Lets stop the hate speak on both sides. I am not gay, but I fully support the rights of my gay friends. When someone is derogatory against my gay friends, I stand up for them. When some of my gay friends are derogatory against my more conservative friends, I support them to. It needs to go both ways. Eliminate the hate from both sides, and we will have a winning combination.