Michigan | News | Tea Party

'Straight Pride' T-Shirts on Sale at Michigan Tea Party Rally

Straightpride

The Michigan Messenger happened upon a vendor selling "Straight Pride" T-shirts at a rally of the Tea Party Express in Lansing, Michigan:

Straightpride2  "The person selling the t-shirts told the Michigan Messenger that his company — the name of the company could not be made out on the tape due to a loud blast of noise, but it ended in 'free media' — was an official sponsor and financial supporter of the Tea Party Express, saying that they typically give 10-15 percent of their sales to the organization. He wore a button saying 'official sponsor.' ... Gay advocacy groups say the shirts are reminiscent of the 'white pride' slogan adopted by racist groups who oppose equality. 'It’s like white supremacy,' says Penny Gardner, president of the Lansing Association for Human Rights, a Lansing area lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights group. 'It’s as if they are saying the idea of supremacy is some how the American way. The American way is about equality, and equality is all we’re looking for.'"

Said Marilyn Vogler, spokesperson for the Democratic Party’s LGBTA Caucus: “It is clear from events at the April 10 Tea Party Express rally on our capitol steps in Lansing that homophobia and racism are alive and well in Michigan. The day was hi-lighted by stark black and white ’straight pride’ shirts, calls to impeach Obama, a poster with a black hand holding a knife stabbing the Statue of Liberty. Certainly, Tea Party folk have a right to express their opinions, but homophobia and racism should not be tolerated, least of all by our elected officials.”

Comments

1. how nice that you can live in your own world where conservatism means all those things, knottie. Welcome to reality, where conservative means less government regulation of big business and more government condemnation of those who exist outside the majority of white christian societal 'norms'. Get real.

Posted by: wtf | Apr 12, 2010 4:57:22 PM

2. "Please don't judge all those who want Conservative politics (less government interference in our lives and pocketbooks) by the behavior of a few."

I didn't see too many conservatives out protesting the massive (and ongoing) military expenditures of America's foreign adventures. Nor have I seen them protesting the enclave mentality and blatant corruption of the Pentagon.

When conservatives talk about wanting "less government", they're actually talking about "less government that we don't like."

"For me personally Conservative means wanting freedom, true freedom, for people to lives their lives as they chose. "

That is not possible. Society is forced to slap any number of restraints on personal behaviour in order to ensure its functioning. Even the most extreme of wilderness libertarians only lives by virtue of hundreds of others who don't choose his lifestyle. But it's a hallmark of conservatism to focus on buzzwords: "freedom" "taxes" "government" without ever really considering implications and denying everyday complexities.

Posted by: Zach | Apr 12, 2010 5:16:06 PM

3. And WTF is right. American conservatism has been so thoroughly subsumed by the Moral Majority crowd that only a generation of religious zealots dying off will produce a legitimate strain of 'less government' conservatism. Every moderate conservative suddenly becomes an ardent theist the moment they want the national spotlight. And no national conservative figure has tried to advance gay rights further than the most conservative Dem.

Posted by: Zach | Apr 12, 2010 5:20:45 PM

4. @ZACH: Dayum! Scorched Earth all the way Bro! You were spot on.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 12, 2010 5:21:46 PM

5. This is so frustrating because I want to hate it, but I know if I do all those people are going to cry foul and jump on the whole "elitist gay agenda" wagon. The issue is that there are those who are ashamed to be gay, gay pride is a way of saying, "I don't care if society disapproves I'm not going to be ashamed of who I am anymore!" I haven't met or heard of a single straight person who is ashamed of being straight, so I really don't see the need for them to reaffirm themselves. The only reason for wearing this shirt is to mock us. Instead of saying "We aren't ashamed anymore." They are saying, "We are superior."

Posted by: Matt McD | Apr 12, 2010 5:52:03 PM

6. I'm not going to lie... if I was straight I would totally wear one of these shirts.
    I sort of want one anyway.

Posted by: Eric26 | Apr 12, 2010 6:19:20 PM

7. I agree this could be a big best seller in some gay neighborhoods. This is America we all have the right to express our point of view.

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 12, 2010 6:23:09 PM

8. I would never buy this shirt, actually (because it would be made by some bigot). Maybe I'll make my own straight pride shirts.

Posted by: Eric26 | Apr 12, 2010 6:44:28 PM

9. "'It’s like white supremacy,' says Penny Gardner"

that is preposterous!

Posted by: m.safra | Apr 12, 2010 6:52:08 PM

10. And of course, this is how conservatism deals with policies they don't like:

"Oklahoma tea parties and lawmakers envision militia"

Posted by: Zach | Apr 12, 2010 8:10:00 PM

11. Hatero Pride. Expected. Happens 24/7/365

Posted by: Bill | Apr 12, 2010 8:37:58 PM

12. I was manning a booth at a gay pride festival in Tulsa, Oklahoma when a man who was clutching his wife a little too closely, says, "how come there aren't any straight pride days?"

His obviously gay friend replied, "because for you people, EVERY day is a straight pride day."

Posted by: Wrecks | Apr 12, 2010 9:27:58 PM

13. Let them have their stupid little T-Shirts, but if I ever see someone wearing one I will probably hurl something at said shirt. Preferably a thick, tasty, strawberry shake that leaves a nice stain.

Posted by: Isobel | Apr 13, 2010 1:50:09 AM

14. Sadly, these have been around for YEARS... I've seen them all over knuckleheads here in San Diego. I have a love hate relationship with them. I hate the the sad bigoted message they portray, but I love that the wearer lets me know right away that I am dealing with a horrible asshole and I should stay far FAR away.

Posted by: Karen | Apr 13, 2010 2:52:09 AM

15. It seem like some people find it impossible to accept the fact that everyone has the same rights (or at least that's what the whole community supposedly fights for, right?).

It's easy to call anyone elses but yours efforts "bigotry" (and you're Lilly white. of course), but it doesn't change the fact in itself.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 13, 2010 12:23:04 PM

16. Thank you for this blog. That's all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something that's eye opening and important.

-mikee

Posted by: wholesale clothing | Sep 24, 2010 12:36:02 AM

17. The homosexuals (yes, it homosexual, not gay. Gay means happy) needs to stop having the "woe is me" attitude. Christians and Jews have had it way worse than the homosexuals. I know some had died, but haven't seen homosexuals lined up in a Coloseum to be killed just because of their belief, or even out in gas chambers. Homosexuals! Stop acting like you have it so bad.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 13, 2010 10:39:35 AM