Anish Kapoor | Architecture | Art and Design | London | News | Olympics

BigGayDeal.com

Video: Structure Being Called 'London's 'Eiffel Tower' to Be Built for 2012 Olympic Games

Kappor

It's being called London's Eiffel Tower, it's designed by Anish Kapoor, and it's going to be built for the 2012 Olympics. If only they'd build a version with a roller coaster attached.

BBC: "The 115m tall piece, named the ArcelorMittal Orbit, will be placed in the Olympic Park and will be 22m higher than New York's Statue of Liberty. The £19.1m design incorporates the five Olympic rings and will offer visitors panoramic views of London. London Mayor Boris Johnson revealed plans for the tower on Wednesday."

Watch video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. please let that be an April Fool's Joke coming from the BBC....r

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Apr 1, 2010 11:58:15 AM

2. That is hideous.

Posted by: bunker | Apr 1, 2010 12:00:05 PM

3. Kind of leaves me speechless. I'm hoping that a straight guy designed that. We've got enough to worry about these days.

Posted by: romeo | Apr 1, 2010 12:06:21 PM

4. Ahh, I just wanna put it on top of a bus and drive across the Australian outback.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 1, 2010 12:07:52 PM

5. Looks like my arteries after eating a large pizza.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Apr 1, 2010 12:08:52 PM

6. It looks like something I have pulled out of the bathtub drain.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 1, 2010 12:10:55 PM

7. Isn't that some of that crap Edna bought on "Ab Fab"?

Posted by: REYnoldo | Apr 1, 2010 12:20:50 PM

8. I agree
    This must be an April Fools Joke
    It is hideous, and given the British Budget crisis I can't imagine wasting money on this.

Anyway, London already has something to rival the Eiffel Tower, the London Eye.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 1, 2010 12:24:53 PM

9. Looks more like a Kelly Kapoor.

Posted by: Clanky Mish | Apr 1, 2010 12:25:17 PM

10. I checked the date as soon as I saw this item come up on the BBC site - unfortunately it was before April 1st.

I swear the UK olympics are going to be remembered as the "ugly" games. I know we don't have the resources of China to produce beautiful and innovative architecture, but surely we could have matched the Greeks - our economy has to be at least equivalent. If anyone is looking for a Husband, I'm just about ready to renounce my Britishness ahead of 2012.

Posted by: Greg | Apr 1, 2010 12:29:59 PM

11. First they put out that absolutely hideous Olympic 2012 logo that looks like Lisa Simpson giving head, then they come out with this mess! Incorporate the Olypic rings?? where is that at? This is just wrong on so many levels? I luv England and the Brits but man what a travesty!

Posted by: Keith | Apr 1, 2010 12:30:43 PM

12. On second thought, it does kind of remind me of the Eiffel Tower -- after it's been hit by an ASTEROID.

Posted by: romeo | Apr 1, 2010 12:36:27 PM

13. Fug.

Posted by: HomoDM | Apr 1, 2010 12:47:40 PM

14. I may be the most passionate Anglophile on the planet, but this is a step (or ten) too far. This grotesquery, planned for the London Olympics, looks like the Eiffel Tower after being struck by a tornado...an arteriovenous malformation...the misbegotten offspring of a wild night of passion betwixt the Space Needle and The Monument to the Third International...just awful. Please, London, do not build this.

Posted by: Pinky | Apr 1, 2010 1:04:40 PM

15. I hope it's an April Fools Day joke, maybe a joke played on the UK or the Olympics.
    Either way it's a horror, any apartment with a view of that loses at least half its value.

Posted by: Rob West | Apr 1, 2010 1:20:05 PM

16. Kinda looks like a stiletto to me.

Posted by: Blazed | Apr 1, 2010 1:28:13 PM

17. Utterly hideous. I fear the British have lost the plot.

Posted by: Traveler J | Apr 1, 2010 1:44:06 PM

18. What a mess! Looks like a theme park ride. Combined with the London Eye and the Gherkin, London may soon have a skyline that resembles a Six Flags.

Posted by: matt | Apr 1, 2010 1:46:47 PM

19. My friend's cat coughed up something like this once. It died days later.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 1, 2010 1:46:55 PM

20. I hate this like poison! PTOOEY!

Posted by: TANK | Apr 1, 2010 1:50:13 PM

21. People thought the Eiffel Tower was ugly when it was first erected, and it was supposed to be a temporary job for a famous exhibition in Paris that year.

So, giving this one the benefit of the doubt - - it's still the ugliest thing I've seen all year.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 1, 2010 1:50:41 PM

22. It looks ridiculous. It has to be an April Fool's joke.

Posted by: Ninong | Apr 1, 2010 2:01:17 PM

23. Where's the foot and leg that goes into that thing?

Posted by: Maverick69 | Apr 1, 2010 2:10:49 PM

24. as for gay men -- this is an uptight group that visits this website .... conformists

Posted by: Walter | Apr 1, 2010 2:10:57 PM

25. BWAHAHAHAHA

The logo does indeed look like Lisa simpson Kneeling and giving head to another:

top left column...wait to load - lol!!!!

Posted by: New jersey girl | Apr 1, 2010 2:23:31 PM