Australia | Football | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Australian Footballer to Gay Players: Stay in the Closet, We're not Ready to Accept You

Jason Akermanis, a player for Australia's Western Bulldogs football club, has written a column for Australian newspaper Herald Sun in reaction to rumors that two players have been offered $150,000 to come out of the closet.

Akermanis says it's not a good idea. Akermanis

He writes:

"If a player wants to out himself, then I say good luck. But I believe the world of AFL footy is not ready for it. To come out is unnecessary for a lot of reasons. Imagine the publicity associated with a current player admitting he's gay. It would be international news and could break the fabric of a club. Football clubs are very different environments. Locker room nudity is an everyday part of our lives and unlike any other work place. I believe it would cause discomfort in that environment should someone declare himself gay. I have played with a gay player in the twos for Mayne in Queensland in the mid-1990s who was happy to admit his sexual persuasion. He was a great guy who played his heart out and was respected by everyone in the team. The only time I noticed a difference was when I was showering with 10 other players after a good win and I turned around to see all 10 heading out in a second with their towels. Sure enough, our gay teammate had wandered in. For some reason I felt uncomfortable, so I left. I am sure most players these days would do the same."

Akermanis goes on to say that he's against homophobia, and that he hopes the environment will change for gay players.

But apparently he's not willing to step up and change it himself.

Comments

1. Unnecessary? Hmmmm....sounds like he has something to hide, doncha think?

Posted by: Steve | May 19, 2010 4:32:37 PM

2. Another unintelligent opinion from another supposedly hetero athelete who is so afraid and insecure in his own masculinity that another man checking out his tiny meat makes him squirm. Sooner or later he'll be coming out of the closet..3..2..1.

Posted by: SFshawn | May 19, 2010 4:57:12 PM

3. Oh god, another moron like Hollywood who wants everyone to believe that all straight men can be "had" by the right gay guy given an opportune moment.

As someone else said, how come gay men never turn to women when they need some quick sex? surely many a fag hag has made herself available, yes? You're having sex with the Ted Haggards and Sen. Craigs of the world. gross.

Back to the point. This guy just summed up the whole argument against DADT, which is straight men don't want to be oogled by gay men.

Yes, you can order someone to allow gays in the military but how does than play itself out in the actual situation? You can't "order" someone to like or accept someone and in war-time what is more important?

Not advocating anything, just recognizing it's not as simple as "telling" someone you have to accept someone, especially when it comes to war and security.

Posted by: Marty | May 19, 2010 5:05:11 PM

4. Marty,
    The military "ordered" the integration of African Americans and Women into their ranks(pun intended) and you can bet many didn't like it or want to accept it(and still don't!). Gays have been serving honorably in the military for hundreds of years. If they are "man" enough to kill strangers in strange lands in the name of patriotism,"terrorism" or whatever bullshit excuse they use to justify slaughtering their fellow humans then they can certainly handle being looked at naked. Who knew straight men entrusted to protect our country could be such pussies?

Posted by: SFshawn | May 19, 2010 5:32:31 PM

5. Matt honey, that ain't platinum blond. That's chicken fat yellow, or in his case, chicken shit.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 19, 2010 5:34:37 PM

6. SFShawn, yes, of course, but in neither case was their a "sexual"component. I'm sure things might have played out differently if, when integrating women, the women had to shower with the men.

Likewise, with AA, a straight man would rather shower with a straight black man over a gay man any day. This involves sexuality which is not the same as race or gender.

Yes, it sucks. But even from my own experience in the gym, sometimes it's just creepy and gross to have some gay guy standing the shower or steam room oogling you. And I say this as a GAY MAN. Again, I'm not excusing anything, I'm just saying that to say "get over it" sounds great, but likely is easier said than done. Is there a reason the showers just couldn't have curtains? or does than diminish male bonding??... more questions than answers....

Posted by: Marty | May 19, 2010 6:09:06 PM

7. "Straight" men who worry about gays ogling them in the locker room are probably closet cases...( and this guy at least in that photo looks more freaky than sexy)

Posted by: jaragon | May 19, 2010 6:29:53 PM

8. HOLLYWOOD, I'm sorry to hear that you think that "Guys grabbing each others cocks, humping each other, groping" is SEX. Your boyfriend must really be missing out.

If you'll read my comment again you will see that I never referred to any of the shenanigans that you listed. My comment was that 100% straight men don't have SEX with other men unless they are being paid or raped.

For your information I was in a very large fraternity at one of the most Greek schools in the nation. I also played sports and spent a lot of time in locker rooms with other naked men, without once having a sexual encounter. I am still a very active athlete.

I'm sorry if you have poor reading comprehension. I'm more sorry if you think goofing around is sex and I'm most sorry if you get turned on by the delusion that straight men are going to have sex with you. But alas, I won't lose one second's sleep over it.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 19, 2010 6:43:49 PM

9. @Marty -- The reason gay guys don't turn to women when they are horny is because THEY DON'T HAVE TO. They just turn to one of their fellow gays, of which there is NO shortage. Jeeezus, for someone so opinionated, you sure are fucking dumb. But sometimes gay guys also have sex with women, under specific conditions and circumstances (not so much to get off, as have an experience).

@Tampazeke (or is it Marty again LOL) -- What is straight, pray tell, in your book? Let me guess -- men who have never had sex with other men? By definition, of course they aren't having sex with other men willingly! (That is, UNTIL THEY DO.) There is no fantasy here, my friend. Straight guys are sluts, just like gay guys, and I have my personal experience to prove it. Oh wait, they aren't straight unless you say so.

There was a gay guy in my neighborhood who, for TWENTY YEARS, dispensed free blowjobs to male joggers, mostly straight married types. Hundreds of men, lots of whom reciprocated.

No one is saying straight guys are hot for cock all day long. But they cross the line all the time, and that's a fact, my sad deluded friend.

Posted by: Fred | May 19, 2010 7:00:24 PM

10. Fred, you're a degenerate. You bring us all down a notch like an embarrassing racist and unhygienic uncle. Get bashed.

Posted by: TANK | May 19, 2010 7:12:28 PM

11. This guy is an ugly douche bag

Posted by: KFLO | May 19, 2010 7:16:34 PM

12. Fred, get real. So all these "straight" men in your neighborhood all knew of this mystery "hole" where some guy is sucking other guys off...because they couldn't find anywhere else to get off...no other women around...but this lone guy?? and this was "hundreds" of men?...in your neighborhood that ALL got their dicks sucked by this one person?

I won't even bother to tell you how ridiculous that sounds..because I think you are one of "those" gays who desperately wants to believe he's having sex with a straight man. Sad, but you are not alone.

Did this person have a job by chance? no, I'm guessing he spent his waking days and nights "perched" at this mystery hole awaiting all this straight cock. Yeah, that's it. Must have been a real tight nit neighborhood. Sounds like fun.

Posted by: Marty | May 19, 2010 7:17:46 PM

13. ...and here I thought that the Aussie clubs and players were being "revolutionary" by being such vocal supporters of equal rights, and squashing homophobia. Clearly, it's just a select few.

Posted by: Kevin | May 19, 2010 7:47:02 PM

14. Under certain conditions it is undesirable for males and females to co-habitate such as locker-rooms,because...guess what? There's a BIG issue around sexuality, drama and tension. Other examples are various situations in the armed forces, such as ships where men and woman serve and the pregnancy rate goes through the roof causing many serious problems.

Homosexuals should recognize there is legit concerns/issues with gay men under close,intimate circumstances with heterosexual males. Ditto lesbians and heterosexual females. MOST people recognize the problems with having males and females showering together, etc., under similar circumstances. Males and females have separate bathrooms/restrooms for obvious reasons.

I'm not in anyway saying there shouldn't be any gay/bi athletes or that they shouldn't be open about it But I do see the shower,locker-room,sexual attraction/tension issue. I think well paid pros should have decent locker-rooms and showers where this issue can be mitigated, I also think they should just suck it up....they're getting well compensated for playing a game. But under lesser circumstances there are legit issues.

Posted by: John in Boston | May 19, 2010 7:48:43 PM

15. Oh, that guy was a degenerate, not me. And yes, hundreds over 20 years, in an upscale part of LA.

As for desperation, who is repeatedly banging his head against the wall trying to convince people there are STRAIGHT and GAY categories ONLY. You're just wrong.

As for Tank, how's trolldom these days?

Posted by: Fred | May 19, 2010 8:25:30 PM

16. I am reminded of a time in high school when a "straight" guy told me that the worst thing for a man to be called was gay. That it is simply the most terrifying thing in their life. That is what this is about.

Posted by: Phil Listrom | May 19, 2010 8:35:04 PM

17. FRED, nice way to completely change what you said and then attack me for disagreeing with something that you didn't say. Ever heard of a strawman argument?

I NEVER said that there was no other category for men but gay and straight. In fact, if you read what I actually said, my point was EXACTLY the opposite.

YOU said that men who are "straight in every way" have sex with men voluntarily and enjoy it. My contention was that they, by definition, can't be straight in EVERY way. They aren't 100% straight. They must have some bisexual tendencies. SOMEHOW you twisted my point that they must be somewhere along the continuum of sexuality between totally straight and totally gay into an accusation that I believe that men can only be gay or straight.

What color is the sky in your world?

Your "friend" who supposedly sucked off all of these "straight" men sounds like a compulsive liar with exceedingly low self-esteem and you sound like an idiot for believing him. I guess it's easy to believe someone's ridiculous stories when they tweak your fantasies and fill some void in your life.

But hey, whatever lifts your luggage!

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 19, 2010 9:03:34 PM

18. JOHN IN BOSTON, I definitely see the point you are making. I think it is a valid concern for discussion. What I don't understand is why it's the STRAIGHT men who seem most disagreeable to the idea of private showers.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 19, 2010 9:06:43 PM

19. Look folks: MOST people really are straight heterosexual. Some are gay, some are Bi.......but most are only attracted to the opposite sex. It is what it is. Everyone stop kidding yourselves.

Posted by: John in Boston | May 19, 2010 9:09:06 PM

20. These guys are tough, but NOT THAT TOUGH!

Posted by: anon | May 19, 2010 9:47:20 PM

21. Shaddup, fred. You're not even worth dignifying with a response.

The argument presented against integration of lesbians and gays in the military is as follows.

Some men are uncomfortable showering with gay men because they believe that they are being objectified sexually, and don't want to be.

If some men are uncomfortable with being objectified sexually by gay men, their concerns should be taken into account in integrating the military.

Therefore...

This line of thought is unsound for many reasons. First, it doesn't posit that those uncomfortable are uncomfortable with being objectified period, just by gay men, so it is rooted in some form of homophobia. How many of those men objectify women? Probably quite a few given the strong link between homophobia and sexism. Second, it's not a crime to have a sexual fantasy, and barring any sexually inappropriate behavior (e.g., unwanted advances, etc), I don't see a reason to accomodate their insecurities as it's essentially their problem (in a purely abstract hypothetical). Third, not many gay men serving are going to sexually objectify his fellow soldiers in a inappropriate manner (a lot less than straight soldiers rape and otherwise sexually harass their female counterparts); not in that environment. And in that case, it's just a person with psyho-sexual deficiency, like it would be for everyone else gay, straight, bi whatever. First, they aren't there for fun, but want to serve their country--and likely aren't interested in their fellow servicemen in that capacity. Second, who's to say that gay men would find those men insecure sexually appealing? Homophobia is not sexy...and these guys are fooling themselves if they think that they're in any way appealing to gay men who would serve. Third, the very real fear of being assaulted or killed as a result would serve to supress these inappropriate behaviors from manifesting against someone who was so insecure...as they do in just about every other context...because self preservation trumps momentary fantasies.

And it is not like females showering with males at all, as gay men aren't women. And to suggest that gay men are incapable of controlling themselves is one step away from labeling gays deviant perverts because they're same sex oriented. Does it create the potential for actual harm to occur? No more than allowing a racist to serve, or women who could be victimized by men who serve (and they are victimized). So this a nonstarter, and an embarrassment of reasoning. Yeah, not many people like to be oggled, and I highly doubt that in those contexts, they would be for the many reasons provided (gay men don't find all men attractive...for another)...but is this a valid concern? I think I've demonstrated it's not. Interesting insight into the people who think it is, though...

Posted by: TANK | May 19, 2010 9:48:40 PM

22. Do I get this straight:

This homophobe wants Gays to stay in the closet because he's afraid someone will look at his Wee-Wee?

What ever will he do when those FAA Full-body scanners comes to an airport near him?

Demand that straight people examine his 'screening'?

Pathetic. And Hollywood: You're a moron.

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | May 19, 2010 11:25:27 PM

23. I've always been puzzled by the fact that so many 'straight' men are so afraid of male desire. It truly does perplex me. Makes me think that if anything the armed forces in the USA should be asking for MORE gay men to fight as apparently the most fearful things would be a bunch of gay men coming after you ;).

With this story. Really? The very fabric of your team's society would break? Seems to me that the person(s) who have the problem are not the gay players but the misogynistic idiots who are playing with you.

Another poster made a good point.. I never see--in the public media--any discussion of the fact that homophobic behavior is deeply misogynistic. Afterall when you denigrate the gay man you are basically putting him down by comparing him to a woman.

Posted by: Jimmy Jessex | May 20, 2010 7:45:35 AM

24. In a weird way I give this guy credit for openly discussing his discomfort and giving his honest assessment of the situation (even though I don't agree with it). I think many people just sort of keep their mouths shut and are unwilling to admit that they have some ugly feelings inside. Well, we all do, and I think we all know it. The problem is going to be there whether people admit it or not.

On some matters, he's correct: yes, an openly gay player would generate a huge amount of publicity, yes, that publicity might be a strain on the team, and yes, a lot of players would be uncomfortable. The fact is, though, that treating someone fairly outweighs all these other hassles. I hope he figures that out.

Posted by: Yeek | May 20, 2010 8:46:10 AM