Film | India

Is This Bollywood Actor A Gay Icon?

Ik
Bollywood star Imran Khan recently posed for a series of shirtless for a recent photo shoot and apparently the results have his gay fans in India pushing to make him an icon of sorts.

According to The Times of India, the production company producing his next film has made the following claim: “For three days now, we have been getting weird calls from various people who seem to have been so impressed by Imran’s shirtless pictures that they insist he’s the next gay icon. Some of them said he’s turning out to be the sex symbol they’ve been waiting for."

Marketing ploy for his next film or genuine interest from the gay community? Either way Khan is okay with the attention: “I haven’t received any such calls yet so I don’t know if I am the next gay icon. But if I can capture the male audience as well as the female audience, it’s all the better for me.”

Another photo of Khan (who is engaged to a woman) from the shoot, AFTER THE JUMP.

Mirror

Comments

1. Beautiful, soulful eyes...and the rest ain't bad, at all. Dunno about the "icon" thing, though.

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | May 1, 2010 1:16:37 PM

2. I'm sure he's quite attractive, but those photos are so photoshopped, he looks like a painting. Good grief.

Posted by: Kevin | May 1, 2010 1:41:39 PM

3. What's so "weird" about gay guys liking hot, shirtless pics?

Posted by: Robert | May 1, 2010 2:07:22 PM

4. very suckable nipples

Posted by: Jeff in NC | May 1, 2010 3:44:36 PM

5. Cute, but NO icon. I sure won't spend any money to watch him.

Posted by: Art | May 1, 2010 5:04:02 PM

6. He looks very much like Sal Mineo!

Posted by: Bob | May 1, 2010 5:17:29 PM

7. Yes, the first thing I do when I see an emerging new celebrity is call the production company and get into an earnest debate about whether he's the next It boy. The boy's cute; the story's BS.

Posted by: slick | May 1, 2010 5:19:15 PM

8. Am I the only one who thinks that those washboard abs are painted on?

Posted by: KenCT | May 1, 2010 7:34:40 PM

9. He's very cute, but yes, those abs are fake. The area below his navel doesn't even match across the two pics. I'm not even sure his two pecs match in the first pic.

Posted by: Paul R | May 1, 2010 8:13:34 PM

10. love the small nipples, large ones are scary!

Posted by: tyler | May 1, 2010 9:11:03 PM

11. In what alternative universe is this an "icon"?

Posted by: steve satlow | May 1, 2010 10:42:09 PM

12. @STEVE SATLOW

one which is very repressed

Posted by: BD | May 2, 2010 2:26:23 PM

13. He looks malnurished - dark circles under his eyes and bones sticking out of his stomach/lower chest cavity. I have no clue who that would be a sex symbol for except someone who is into necrophilia.. gosh he even makes Patterson look normal.. and that's hard to do.

Posted by: steve talbert | May 2, 2010 4:42:54 PM

14. Seriously? This guy?

I'm from India and I call BS.

This is just a silly publicity stunt. Who does what those guys are talking about?

It's 2010. No one is so repressed that they need to ask for 'shirtless pictures' like that, when thousands of even more explicit images are just a google search away.

The thing is, the Indian press has no idea of 'the gay community'. So most of the stories they write about gay people are ironically pulled out from the reporter's ass!

And, to reiterate, THIS GUY?

Posted by: Zanny T | May 2, 2010 5:02:33 PM

15. I know when I put on a suit, I demand to walk around shirtless as well.

Posted by: omi | May 2, 2010 5:52:29 PM

16. I don't think you can be an icon just because you want to be. Especially when your only qualification is quasi-soulful eyes.

I'd call him an icon manque.

Posted by: Soren456 | May 2, 2010 7:45:07 PM

17. i love imran khan and he is a preaty gay boy love him.

Posted by: Shahzad Baig | Jul 24, 2010 12:19:09 AM

18. Oh lord, picky picky picky. Tell you this, Indian men are the next big thing. The guy on Rubricon (Hal) HOT, this guy HOT. Kareesh on Heroes, tall but HOT.
    Ok I wish his nipples were a little bigger.

Posted by: Visitor | Sep 3, 2010 4:29:46 PM

19. Sex symbol? Icon? To who? He's "cute" at best. Nothing more, nothing less, but sex symbol or Icon, I don;t think so!!!

Posted by: Absolutely | Jul 10, 2013 4:14:13 AM

20. This seems like a planted story to me. Isn't the "shirtless photo shoot" a standard thing for a Bollywood actor?

Posted by: Chris | Jul 10, 2013 8:16:00 AM

21. Most Indian guys I've met were rather hairy. It seems like most Bollywood studs are waxed smooth. Has manscaping become popular in India?

Posted by: bravo | Jul 14, 2013 3:43:56 PM

22. He's a look, but Bollywood's got MUCH hotter men--by the dozen!

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jul 14, 2013 7:58:54 PM

23. This is India . Still very close minded country when it comes to gay right. To have an actor openly embrace the attention of gay men is very rare. If he is willing to be the first to step up and be an ally. Years later who knows he might be the icon.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Jul 17, 2013 9:48:47 PM