Boston | Catholic Church | Discrimination | Education | News

BigGayDeal.com

Boston Archdiocese Says School That Denied Admission to Boy with Lesbian Parents 'Was Not Following Policy'

In response to St. Paul Elementary School's decision to deny admission to a boy whose parents are lesbians, the Archdiocese of Boston said that the Hingham school was not following policy, the Boston Globe reports:

Stpaul  "Spokesman Terry Donilon said the archdiocese has no prohibition against same-sex couples sending their children to Catholic schools. “We want kids to come to Catholic schools,’’ he said. St. Paul Elementary School admitted an 8-year-old boy earlier this year but recently withdrew the acceptance after learning that his parents are lesbians, the archdiocese confirmed yesterday. Donilon said the archdiocese would have no further comment until it had finished reviewing the matter and speaking with all parties involved. The Rev. James Rafferty, pastor of St. Paul parish, and Cynthia Duggan, the school’s principal, did not respond to requests for an interview yesterday afternoon. Lisa Lipsett, an adviser to the school’s PTO Executive Committee, referred all questions to the archdiocese. The decision incensed state Representative Garrett J. Bradley, a Democrat from Hingham who grew up in St. Paul parish. 'These parents thought enough of St. Paul’s to want to send their child there; St. Paul’s thought enough of their child to admit him. For the school to then discriminate against him and withdraw his acceptance because of his parents’ sexual orientation is not only inappropriate, but mind-blowing,' he said in a phone interview last night. 'Shame on St. Paul’s, and shame on us as a community if we allow it.'"

Comments

1. I personally think hebatank come across as the world's biggest douche bag who S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y needs his bullying, nasty, mean, know-it-all, smarmy head caved in by a shiny new garden shovel-only $12.95 at the depot.

The world would be a much better place without him and others like him and my garden could use the organic fertilizer such a shit filled Ahole would provide.

Posted by: STANK | May 14, 2010 8:15:54 PM

2. I beg to differ oh cranky one:

And where are the so-called errors in my post?

Lastly, yes, you do come across like a
    "cranky ole fart".

Posted by: aleabeth | May 14, 2010 8:17:42 PM

3. Oh don't be silly, aleabeth. You aren't seriously saying that atheism is communism and stalinisn, are you? That's just ridiculuos. Those who say that don't know what atheism is. I suggest looking it up. Atheism isn't religion in the soviet union, nor is it its prohibition. To repeat so you get it: it's not a worldview, not a political theory, not an ethic, not an economic system....

I'm probly younger than you.

Posted by: TANK | May 14, 2010 8:48:41 PM

4. er... no Tank. Don't try to put words in my mouth. Atheism is a form of 'belief' and it fuels just as any other 'belief', which then can prompt action. Your a smart individual, even if you are 'cranky'... so stop looking for something to fight over.

My original post was making the comparison of the 2 (belief in 'a' god(s) and the absence thereof) trying to dictate to 'the whole'. In other words, NO theism should win out in the arena of 'law of the land'.

As for my own age... I think I've mentioned it already a couple times posting. But what's that got to do with the price of eggs in china? It doesn't change my view that you 'sound' like a 'cranky ole man'.

And I still wuv's ya
    *bk*

Posted by: aleabeth | May 14, 2010 10:35:35 PM

5. @ Aleabeth he is always looking for someone to fight with - he seems to get off on trying to prove how much smarter he is than other posters here. He is an obnoxious bully-period.

Ultimately though he just proves himself to be a miserable prick with some major issues.

My guess is he has a micro penis and pretty darn angry about it.

Posted by: Steven | May 14, 2010 11:00:34 PM

6. ROTFL god I needed that laugh.

Steven methinks you hit the (micro) nail on the head.

Too funny

Posted by: STANK | May 14, 2010 11:12:13 PM

7. Atheism is the absence of belief in god or gods. It can't prompt or cause any behavior on its own. Even so-called hard atheism or what some call a belief that god does not exist, cannot prompt any behavior on its own, as it is not a claim about how one should behave. Religions like christianity do prompt behavior because they are beliefs and are instructive and make normative claims. Atheism makes no normative claims as it contains no "should". So you're wrong about what atheism is from a dictionary definition.

Posted by: TANK | May 14, 2010 11:13:23 PM

8. And atheism is not a religion, or religious belief, either.

Posted by: TANK | May 14, 2010 11:16:42 PM

9. Steven, yes, I know he looks for debates, he's just a little confused on the rules (like staying away from personal attacks).

I do "BELIEVE" that he is an intelligent human being however... and there were a couple times I even laughed at a comment or 2.

To use a metaphor, Tank is like a dog with a bone that your trying to get away from him. He's a snappin' and a snarlin', but eventually you'll get that damn bone or just give up.

And yes Tank, atheism is the 'belief' that there is no supernatural entity that oversee's humanity. Because even atheists have no 'proof' that one (or more) doesn't exist... so therefore, it IS a belief.

My contention is that those, whether individually or en mass, have tried to push those beliefs on others at some time in humanity's history, usually employing adverse/inhumane tactics to do so.

Lastly Tank, I wasn't singling you out, or at least I didn't mean to... the post was directed towards all that resort to name calling, i.e., attacking the person instead of the behavior on this blog... which unfortunately I see quite often and it always unsettles me. It's ineffective at changing anyone's mind.

However, if that's truly what your seeking to do, is to verbally attack people until they literally hate you...

Well, anyway... this is my last post on the issue. I'm not so competitive that I 'need' to win.

Posted by: aleabeth | May 15, 2010 2:23:57 AM

10. Oh, I forgot one counter-point...

I never said atheism was a 'religion'.

Posted by: aleabeth | May 15, 2010 2:26:35 AM

11. OH boy, aleabeth, you don't know what atheism is. Simple as that. Do you also insist that you know what particle physics is and dictate the beliefs of a particle physicist to them? How about a jew, or a muslim? Do you insist there, too? No? Only atheists? Because it's just as insulting to be as completely ignorant of what atheism is and yet insist that you know what it is. But you're an intelligent person, and you don't know any atheist argument. You're fresh to the debate, and have absolutely NO understanding of the issue at hand.

Posted by: TANK | May 15, 2010 10:37:04 AM

12. "Pushing atheism" isn't identical to atheism, stupid. For the last time, atheism isn't a normative belief system.

Posted by: TANK | May 15, 2010 10:37:53 AM

13. Oh, and I may call people names, aleabeth, but usually (like here) there are arguments as well. Just because you don't have the capacity to detect them and respond to them intelligently doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Posted by: TANK | May 15, 2010 10:40:09 AM

14. @Patrick, until your church stops sticking their nose into the civil laws that govern people that aren't members of their religion, the only ones who need to STFU are people like you, and the church you belong to. I pay taxes, they do not, so I have about 10000x the right to have an opinion and voice it, since they make a lucrative business of destroying lives.

Posted by: Joey Y | May 15, 2010 12:57:41 PM

15. Aleabeth some dogs need their balls cut off.

And others need to be put down.

Plain and simple.

Posted by: Derek | May 15, 2010 3:00:54 PM

16. Religion is a drug that allows people full of fear and hate to feel good about themselves by villifying others. The speak about the so called christian martyrs and now they are the ones that make Homosexuals into martyrs at the hand of the Christian lions.

Jesus's LOVE lives more in a gay bath house than any church. At least they TRY to love one another instead of talking about it while stabbing others in the back.

Screw all religion. It is all Satanic.

Posted by: Art | May 16, 2010 7:04:18 PM

17. The point is, gays and lesbians are christians and have a right to send their kids to whatever school they choose. By being denied this right, is called discrimination. That is illegal, it was illegal for banning blacks to enter white establishments and it is also illegal for Gays and lesbians to be denied that right. DUH!

Posted by: LuckyBlueEyez | May 19, 2010 12:11:11 PM