Chely Wright | I'm Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Country Singer Chely Wright Makes it Official: She's Gay

The official People cover story breaks two days early following reports that broke late last week and over the weekend:

Chely-wright "Country singer Chely Wright's reasoning was sound. 'There had never, ever been a country music artist who had acknowledged his or her homosexuality,' she tells People. 'I wasn't going to be the first.' But now Wright is changing her tune. 'Nothing in my life has been more magical than the moment I decided to come out,' she says. Wright, 39, recalls of her youth in the South: 'I don't have a memory in my life that doesn't include the dream of making music.' But during her childhood and rapid ascent to fame in the county world, she also experienced a community in which homosexuality was shunned. 'I hid everything for my music,' says Wright."

Comments

1. Uh, anyone who has ever heard KD sing "Western Stars" or anything else before she went all "Miss Chateleine" knows who the very first Out Gay Country Star was.

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 4, 2010 12:46:37 AM

2. Got to admit I'm another who has never heard of Chely Wright, and yes I do buy country music.

But having said that (and even if some have said, just in time for a new album release) congrats to Chely for taking that step out of the closet.

Each time someone else steps out it gets lonelier being in.

Not to dampen everyone's "k.d. lang" statements; but maybe Chely is referring to American country singers because as we all know (and love her all the more for) k.d. is Canadian

Posted by: Lez | May 4, 2010 7:56:03 AM

3. Good article:

Just because gays in Gayland don't know who she is, doesn't mean red state types don't know. You were never her audience before, you're probably still not her audience.

Posted by: Andrea | May 4, 2010 5:48:47 PM

4. I think it's great that Chely Wright has come out, and I support her 100%. I am a big fan, and I would like to think that everyone would be supportive and positive, whether they know of her or not, instead of being snarky and rude.

Posted by: Ron | May 5, 2010 7:45:48 PM

5. If you don't know who Chely Wright is, that means that you weren't listening to country music until a couple years ago, so who cares what you think. She's a great country singer, and still will be long after you go back to pop, or rock, or where ever else you came from.

Posted by: fy | May 9, 2010 11:21:08 PM

6. kd lang is not and has never been featured on mainstream country radio, whatever the Grammys (or Grannys) might think. Chely Wright was--her song "The Bumper of my SUV" was a reasonably big hit a few years ago (I think 2004 or 2005, thereabouts--I think it's a dumb song, and I don't know a lot of her other work, but if you haven't heard that song, then I'm guessing you only started listening to country radio very recently or you listen to alt-country or something. kd lang is featured much more--or was--on "adult contemporary" stations and that kind of thing, and I frankly think you'd be hard-pressed to find a mainstream country music fan who listens to her.

As for the first "out" gay male star, my money is on Kenny Chesney. I've been waiting for it...

Posted by: Julie | May 10, 2010 6:05:26 PM