George Alan Rekers | News

Liberty Counsel Offers to Back George Rekers in Defamation Suit

Anti-gay litigation firm the Liberty Counsel has offered to get behind George "Rentboy" Rekers:

Staver Officials at the Liberty Counsel said Wednesday they would back Mr. Rekers if he followed through on his threat this week to sue media outlets and others for trying to discredit him.

"I think [Mr. Rekers] would have a great case to file a defamation action," said Mathew D. Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel said.

"I think it was a completely arranged setup," he said, referring to the presence of writers of the free weekly Miami New Times at Miami International Airport when Mr. Rekers and his hired travel companion arrived in the United States April 13.

***

The Liberty Counsel's Mr. Staver said he believes Mr. Rekers' recent court appearances, in which the professor testified in favor of state bans on gay adoption, became "a major focus of people trying to discredit him as an individual."

"I think that it's the classic [tactic], 'If you can't destroy the message, you destroy the messenger,' ... and I think this is a personal attack designed to cast aspersions on his character and reputation," Mr. Staver said.

Comments

1. Truth is still an absolute defense in a defamation allegation, right?

Posted by: Jane Roe | May 13, 2010 1:32:07 PM

2. Bring it on - I want to see the lawsuit. We don't have nearly enough detail on this situation yet (although the visual image I have of wrinkly Rekers and Jo-Vanni are pretty awful).

As for defamation - can you "defame" a public figure? I don't think so.

Posted by: Steve | May 13, 2010 1:38:14 PM

3. If anyone had questions about the quality of a Liberty University School of Law diploma, this would suggest an answer.

Posted by: Soren456 | May 13, 2010 2:04:42 PM

4. Memo to Mathew D. Staver: Go ahead. Make our day.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 13, 2010 2:05:51 PM

5. We've only just desrtroyed the messenger now, we destroyed the message ages ago.

Andy, love how you phrased this:
    ".. has offered to 'GET BEHIND' George 'Rentboy' Rekers"

Posted by: ravewulf | May 13, 2010 2:12:36 PM

6. The idea here is to scare Roman into changing his story. I'm not sure what aspect of defamation they would try to pursue. False light?

Posted by: anon | May 13, 2010 2:23:59 PM

7. It's like a red cape being billowed through the air, waiting for a bull called the Liberty Council to charge through it.

I implore Mr. Staver -- proceed with your lawsuit, post haste.

And let the show begin!

Posted by: Gregoire | May 13, 2010 2:31:54 PM

8. From Wikipedia:

"A close partnership exists between Liberty University and Liberty Counsel. Liberty University was founded by the Rev. Jerry Falwell. Mathew D. Staver serves as the law school's Dean. In 2004 Liberty Counsel became affiliated with Liberty University/Falwell Ministries and Liberty Counsel opened an office at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia."

Well, that helps to explain everything....

Posted by: Igor | May 13, 2010 3:34:15 PM

9. What a moron. period.

Posted by: Dave in Boston | May 13, 2010 4:33:29 PM

10. I'd like to officially nominate the classic song "Stroke" by Billy Squire as the theme song for the circus this will surely be if it goes to court.

Posted by: RONTEX | May 13, 2010 4:58:38 PM

11. The Supreme Court has held that calling a person gay is NOT defamatory, especially if (as in THIS case), it's true.

Posted by: Nathan James | May 14, 2010 8:32:51 AM

12. Rekers reminds me of the scene in... Midnight Cowboy, was it?... where the old guy throws open his pop-up shrine and commands the young man to beg for forgiveness. "I'm gonna work you, boy!"

Posted by: Red Katie | May 14, 2010 10:54:07 AM

13. Believe me, there isn't going to be any lawsuit. First off because there is no basis for a lawsuit. But more importantly Mr. Rekers under no circumstances wants any more of his sleazy hidden past to make its way to the media. A lawsuit won't "make it go away" which is exactly what Rekers desperately wants to happen. It will only serve to make him a bigger and more public lying fool than he already appears to be.

Posted by: ChrisM | May 14, 2010 10:04:33 PM

14. If there is a God I want so badly to receive a summons for jury duty when this case comes up on the docket.

Posted by: ChrisM | May 14, 2010 10:09:40 PM

15. Before proceeding with the lawsuit I have two words to Mr. Rekers - LARRY CRAIG.

Posted by: ChrisM | May 14, 2010 10:13:51 PM

16. Wonder who would get laughed out of court first the Rekers or Staver?

Posted by: ChrisM | May 14, 2010 10:24:45 PM