New York | News

Man Arrested in Times Square Bomb Plot

Faisal Shahzad, a 30-year-old Connecticut man, was arrested last night trying to board a plane to Dubai, the NYDN reports:

Timessquare "'Mr. Shahzad, an American citizen, was taken into custody at JFK Airport in New York as he attempted to board a flight to Dubai,' Attorney General Eric Holder said in an early-morning news conference. 'This investigation is ongoing, as are our attempts to gather useful intelligence, and we continue to pursue a number of leads,' the Queens-born Holder said. 'But it's clear that the intent behind this terrorist act was to kill Americans,' he told reporters. The Customs and Border Protection agents at Terminal 4 had Shahzad's name and photo, a source told the Daily News. 'He was looking to get out of the country,' a source told The News. Shahzad, 30, of Connecticut, bought his mobile weapon of mass destruction on craigslist - and paid a 19-year-old college student $1,300 cash for it. He is believed to have links to international terrorists and was already under surveillance for two days when the feds moved in."

ABC7 News reports, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wait...I thought this was the work of a right-wing tea partier listening to Beck and Limbaugh.

Posted by: Brad | May 4, 2010 8:03:47 AM

2. I don't understand, Andy. Usually I can count on this site for a ridiculous string of over-the-top adjectives and conclusions. Why isn't this "Religious Bigot Arrested For Planning Horrific, Hurtful, Anti-American Attack," or some such? Hmmmmmm.

Posted by: I don't understand... | May 4, 2010 8:11:41 AM

3. Sorry to disappoint you.

Posted by: Andy Towle | May 4, 2010 8:42:48 AM

4. I can't understand why so many wished it was an American tea bagger. Some people get way too crazy with right vs left. The crazies from the right and left usually go after one person. The radical Muslim terrorists usually try to kill large groups of American citizens. He was a naturalized American citizen with residency still in Pakistan. He wasn't born here.

Posted by: Name: | May 4, 2010 9:19:46 AM

5. For the life of me, I can't figure out why a few people who are so critical of this site continue to visit it. If they're deriving SOME value, they could at least try to be constructive.

Posted by: sparks | May 4, 2010 9:20:28 AM

6. I'm with Sparks. Just like the television or any other form of media, if you don't care for it, go someplace else. What an asinine critique, "I DON'T...".

As for the arrest, I'm just saddened and sick to my stomach that ANY religion can be used to warp the mind of anyone to the level of justifying murder and yet it is still happening. I've been reduced to paranoia when flying (again) when I've seen a husband and wife wearing patently Islamic garb, about to enter the same plane as myself. And Shahzad was attempting to fly to Dubai? What's that say about Dubai? He felt safe to fly there? But only because his intentions were noble, right?

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 4, 2010 9:44:41 AM

7. What struck me was the "But it's clear that the intent behind this terrorist act was to kill Americans".

Posted by: MammaBear | May 4, 2010 9:48:53 AM

8. After additional reading and according to a few other articles, the guy has a wife in Pakistan so Dubai was possibly a stop on the way, but even so...

Naturalized citizen. Hrmph. This is all grist for the mill.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 4, 2010 10:14:38 AM

9. How on earth did this guy manage to attain citizenship?!

But don't forget to blame the Mexicans somehow...

Posted by: stephen | May 4, 2010 10:16:34 AM

10. Ok, admit it. A whole bunch of us were hoping it was a Teabagger. I was and I realize that I'm not proud of that.

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 4, 2010 11:43:29 AM

11. The loony left will somehow figure out a way to blame this on Israel.

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | May 4, 2010 1:00:00 PM

12. Thanks for your honesty, Derek. So many who visit this site can learn from you. You have integrity.

Posted by: JT | May 4, 2010 3:33:37 PM

13. Possible Islamic extremists, not Muslim terrorists.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the govt. just arrested a random person on their terrorist watch list to shut us all up. Just sayin'.

Posted by: B | May 4, 2010 8:18:26 PM