Obama Issues LGBT Pride Month Proclamation

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
May 28, 2010

LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, AND TRANSGENDER PRIDE MONTH, 2010

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As Americans, it is our birthright that all people are created equal and deserve the same rights, privileges, and opportunities. Since our earliest days of independence, our Nation has striven to fulfill that promise. An important chapter in our great, unfinished story is the movement for fairness and equality on behalf of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. This month, as we recognize the immeasurable contributions of LGBT Americans, we renew our commitment to the struggle for equal rights for LGBT Americans and to ending prejudice and injustice wherever it exists.

LGBT Americans have enriched and strengthened the fabric of our national life. From business leaders and professors to athletes and first responders, LGBT individuals have achieved success and prominence in every discipline. They are our mothers and fathers, our sons and daughters, and our friends and neighbors. Across my Administration, openly LGBT employees are serving at every level. Thanks to those who came before us — the brave men and women who marched, stood up to injustice, and brought change through acts of compassion or defiance — we have made enormous progress and continue to strive for a more perfect union.

My Administration has advanced our journey by signing into law the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which strengthens Federal protections against crimes based on gender identity or sexual orientation. We renewed the Ryan White CARE Act, which provides life-saving medical services and support to Americans living with HIV/AIDS, and finally eliminated the HIV entry ban. I also signed a Presidential Memorandum directing hospitals receiving Medicare and Medicaid funds to give LGBT patients the compassion and security they deserve in their time of need, including the ability to choose someone other than an immediate family member to visit them and make medical decisions.

In other areas, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced a series of proposals to ensure core housing programs are open to everyone, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. HUD also announced the first-ever national study of discrimination against members of the LGBT community in the rental and sale of housing. Additionally, the Department of Health and Human Services has created a National Resource Center for LGBT Elders.

Much work remains to fulfill our Nation's promise of equal justice under law for LGBT Americans. That is why we must give committed gay couples the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple, and repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. We must protect the rights of LGBT families by securing their adoption rights, ending employment discrimination against LGBT Americans, and ensuring Federal employees receive equal benefits. We must create safer schools so all our children may learn in a supportive environment. I am also committed to ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" so patriotic LGBT Americans can serve openly in our military, and I am working with the Congress and our military leadership to accomplish that goal.

As we honor the LGBT Americans who have given so much to our Nation, let us remember that if one of us is unable to realize full equality, we all fall short of our founding principles. Our Nation draws its strength from our diversity, with each of us contributing to the greater whole. By affirming these rights and values, each American benefits from the further advancement of liberty and justice for all.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2010 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon all Americans to observe this month by fighting prejudice and discrimination in their own lives and everywhere it exists.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand ten, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.

BARACK OBAMA

Comments

1. Zlick says

The man has a way with words … and little else. I think the proclamation would have worked better without his laundry list of pathetic to-date accomplishments, most of which haven’t even been enacted.

Otherwise, though, a very nice proclamation, and a nice use of the Bully Pulpit … well, it would be nicer if he read it aloud on national tv, but a nice use of the Bully Buried Pen at any rate.

2. ravewulf says

He talks big, but on the big issues his actions are so weak if not non-existant that it’s maddening.

3. Gridlock says

The usual faggot friday media death dump by President Wifflebat

Thanks, glorious leader.

4. why? says

Obama.. cut the bullshit. Now back to the real issues at hand.. DADT & Gay Marriage.

5. MB says

“As Americans, it is our birthright that all people are created equal and deserve the same rights, privileges, and opportunities.” I guess he forgot we are missing about 1,152 rights and privileges the federal government gives to married heteros. Immigration rights for partners, income tax benefits, social security survivor benefits, estate transfer, and on and on…. We can’t even get killed serving our country in Iraq and Afghanistan without lying about who we are. Of course, we still have to pay full freight on our taxes – subsidizing the benefits given to other but denied to us.

I had high hopes for the big O but he is a real disappointment. I am tried of voting for the lesser of evils. For now on, I will cast no vote for any politician who does not publicly proclaim that ALL Americans are entitled to the same benefits and cast their votes accordingly. I will stay home on election day – and my checkbook is closed until I hear and see what is overdue.

6. says

Reuters: “Gates tells U.S. troops: no gay ban repeal imminent”

Gates reassures troops that they aren’t REALLY repealing DADT, and that they will have the final say about when, if ever, gays are allowed to serve.

At the same time Obama is claiming to be a hero to our community, his thugs at the Pentagon are reassuring the bigots that it’s all just for show. At least Gates is telling the truth.

7. Lez says

Not fully understanding how the American govt actually works you guys never seem to give Obama (what we in Australia would call) a fair go. The man seems to be working his arse off and the more he gets done the “not enough” he has done keeps getting shouted.

As an outsider I read the proclamation and thought – Wow, wouldn’t it be great if our Prime Minister put pen to paper and announced a LGBT month, or at least acknowledged the existence of our history.

Politics is about give and take and your Republican party only seems to want the white male middle-to-rich class to take and not give – so every step forward Obama takes is mired in mud and negotiations. The other problem I see is the interference of the Church and lobby groups – they sure seem to have a hell of a lot of power in the USA.

All I am saying is give the man a break. In this “modern” world nothing, and I mean nothing, is changed overnight. Yes we don’t live in the USA and maybe that helps to see things differently but from what I am seeing things are changing, and in most cases changing (on a federal level) for the better.

Don’t give up the fight but don’t bludgeon to death the hope.

8. says

I dont live in the US…So I dont know how much of this is just demagogy…But I just know that a president who embraces something like “gay pride month” is a really cool man!

I wish we had a president like that here in Colombia.

=)

9. Gridlock says

As an outsider you have no idea how Obama says one thing, and then does a 180.

He says a lot of pretty things, and then knifes you in the back on almost every issue.

It’s not about give and take. We’ve watched him for a year, and this is his pattern: say something good, then do the exact opposite.. or say something good, and then kick you in the crotch with something bad 24 hours later.

Every. Single. Time.

Maybe in Australia you’d be satisfied with someone merely talking about you. On this side of the pond, we’re fed up with pretty words and then getting thrown under the bus.

That time is over. Hopefully Australia will catch up.

10. TANK says

Well, it was a tasteful statement, but rhetoric never fired me up. I need something more tangible at this stage in the game. ENDA and DADT repeal, and he’ll have my vote again. (BTW, I never supported hillary…always barack…but unless those two pieces of legislation go through congress and to his desk for signature, I can’t bring myself to vote for him again…the new strategy will be adopted).

11. anon says

You Obama haters make me, well, hate you. The idea that you would even think of letting the Republicans back in power leads me to believe you are evil and selfish to the core or just unspeakably stupid.

12. Gridlock says

ANON:

What’s the difference? A knife in the face or a knife in the back.

The Democrats have slid so far right they’ve just occupied the space the GOP have been in for 25 years.

Today, Nixon would be a Democrat.

13. Nick says

How does he reconcile his “marriage is between a man and a woman” stance with this proclamation? Coward doesn’t even mention it.

And now the Democratic party has authorized members of the world’s largest welfare service (the US military) to make civil rights decisions.

14. says

ANON is living in a fox news world where everything has a political polar opposite. If you criticize Obama, you are therefore an evil republican. No nuance in their universe. People with that type of world view are easy to control. And it is easier for them because it saves them from having to actually use their brains to figure out complex issues, using facts rather than rhetoric and propaganda. It’s what we’ve been saying about the drooling right wingers for years. It seems to be catching.

15. Catalystic says

The guy who says Democrats are in the same spot Nixon was 40 years ago is right….now what does it say about Republicans????????

16. says

I know a lot of people feel that Obama is “not doing enough,” but you have to realize that everything he does as far as LGBT issues go is being constantly impeded by conservatives, religious grous, lobbyists, etc. It’s not a matter of ‘not trying hard enough.’ It’s only now that he’s president is the issue facing real presidential support. Considering that, I’d think you’d be a mite more considerate of the challenges faced when trying to pass such resolutions.
    There are so many more rights that married, heterosexual couples enjoy and take for granted, and it will take at least a few years to finally bring equality. Such movements do not happen in fell swoops.

17. anon says

Gaylib, you are the one without nuance. I didn’t say you were an evil Republican, just evil–OR stupid. I think you are stupid. To say there is no difference between Reps and Dems is about as non-nuanced as it gets. Did you read about Michelle Bachman’s friends who want gays EXECUTED?! The POTUS is not a dictator–there are hoops to jump through. That is the reality of which you have no grip. You want him to be your ally, HE wants to be your ally, yet you cut him off at the knees with every step. As if he doesn’t have enough to fight, he’s fighting those he’s fighting for. Rather, you’re fighting him.

What I find evil is your willingness to throw the whole fucking world to the wolves for the sake of your self-righteous indignation. What was the story about Soloman cutting the baby in two?

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

18. Adrian says

“In other words: You’re not the mother. You just don’t care. Put the goddamned baby in the woodchipper, for all you care. But you get to bloviate like you care.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.”

lol You massacred Gaylib with words. Could not have said it better myself. I truly believe if President Obama had it his way then we would be given equal rights, but we live in a nation of checks and balances and right now that’s the very thing that’s preventing progress with LGBT rights. Voting Republican or not voting at all is equivalent to undoing any progress we’ve made so far, which is minimal (ie. it would be completely stupid as Anon said). You have to think, being brash is not the answer.

There is the executive order, I know, but like Obama needs to add fuel to the fire of everyone thinking he’s this socialist tyrant after passing the health care bill through reconciliation. Plus the votes are there to end Don’t ask Don’t tell. It’ll pass, no worries.

19. says

How very interesting that you would mention the story of Solomon (it’s an “o” at the end brainiac) because it very beautifully illustrates my point. Solomon’s “compromise” SEEMED like the right thing to do. But it only takes the barest of critical thinking to realize that the compromise is horribly inadequate. The decision of the mother to forfeit her baby to save it demonstrates that people’s reactions, while at face value may seem illogical, are sometimes justified by their righteousness. The story teaches us to think critically about decisions that we make instead of accepting the ruling of wise leaders at face value. It also demonstrates that when one is personally threatened by an authoritarian’s decision they will do whatever it takes, no matter how uncoventional, to make sure that they and their interests are protected. Your mess of a mixed metaphor (One might get the impression that Solomon was going to feed the baby to the wolves) plainly illustrates the great extent to which your brain has atrophied from disuse.

20. JuJuBeeBee says

The Typical Anti-hatred of the Black Pres from the white gays..

Oh Hillary where could you be????

21. JuJuBeeBee says

And remember Ms GAYLIB is a cocksucking CLINTONISTA..

Bitch is just Sestak….Just can’t let go!

22. says

typical knee-jerk lizard brain reaction. Did she really just call me a cocksucker? Like it’s a bad thing? I’m glad I’m not YOUR boyfriend.

23. Patric says

Lez, yours was one of the best comments I’ve ever read on this site. Sometimes one has more perspective from a distance.

24. Patric says

Gaylib, you’ve totally misrepresented the article you cite, in particular with regard to Gates.

First, let’s consider the very first sentence of the article you cite: “Gates, in his first major address to U.S. troops on the politically charged legislation, said he did not expect Congress to pass the repeal for months, perhaps not until the end of the year.” So your article says that Gates is telling soldiers that Congress is going to finally pass repeal before the end of the year? How is that bad?

Second, Gates said to these troops: “So please let us know how to do this right.” You Obama haters are usually obsessed with the “how” vs. “whether” usage in individual statements but here you completely ignore that Gates is asking soldiers to have input on HOW to do this.

I think Mullen’s statement further on is more worrisome but Mullen’s other statements on this issue have been pretty strong.

In any event, your statements that “Gates reassures troops that they aren’t REALLY repealing DADT” and “his thugs at the Pentagon are reassuring the bigots that it’s all just for show” are a misrepresentation of what this article actually says.

25. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

@ Daxxglax and the gang:

1. In 1983 Congress gave the power to ANY President to ignore ANY other law and unilaterally [that means “by himself”] stop the discharges of ANYONE in the interest of national security in times of national emergency. Therefore, Obama had that power the second he was sworn in 16 months ago.
    [Bush declared the “national emergency” status in 2001 and Obama extended it.]

2. Last June 29th, the President said that such discharges weaken our national security.

3. The majority of the public, including Republicans, support letting gays serve.

Therefore, it is not the way Obama lacks, but the will.

26. JT says

I’ve always bent over backwards to defend Pres. Obama, but this is just b.s. I don’t want a special Month, just full equality. Get to work, Mr. president! I voted for you.

27. Jedi says

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, this is amazing!

You Towleroad commentators better give credit where credit is due!

28. JT says

No, Jedi, it’s not amazing, it’s ridiculous. What am I supposed to be, some handicapped doofus who needs a Gay Pride Month proclamation to feel better about myself? To impress the straight majority? Just give me full equality now, as I should have always had!!! I really wish I could speak to Pres. Obama adult-to-adult and tell him that.

29. hotguywxw says

So we have black, women, and gay months…WTF what about white people…they need a month to. And besides that…I think Obama has to suck a cock on live TV to satisfy some of you. SURE he hasnt done much and by munch I mainly mean end ENDA and DADT, but I’m sure they’ll be gone by 2012…he needs left big time in 2012

30. EJ says

Maybe all of you who have bad mouthed this proclamation what really like “W” back in the White House,

Ah yes for the good old days!!!!!!!!

Where is Maureen Doyd when we need truly straightforward comments?

31. EJ says

Maybe all of you who have bad mouthed this proclamation would really like “W” back in the White House, Ah yes for the good old days!!!!!!!!
    Where is Maureen Doyd when we need truly straightforward comments?

32. DougChgo says

The comment by HotGuy WXW reminds me of what we used to say around the time of Mother’s Day and Father’s Day when we were kids: we’d ask, “When do we get Kids Day?” The answer, of course, is: EVERY DAY is Kids Day. That’s why there’s no White Persons Month — EVERY MONTH is White Persons Month.

33. Musicboy says

Frankly, I’m surprised that he even bothers to issue an LGBT proclamation given the amount of bitchiness with which it’s met.

34. Tim says

Obama is not the first president to issue gay pride proclamations. Clinton issued them as well. So, Obama has not broken any new ground here. Obama “proclaims” support for the LGBT community while he actively works against the community. Obama instructed his OPM to ignore a judges legal court order to provide health insurance for the same-sex spouse of a federal court employee. He didn’t tell the OPM to argue against the order in court, just to ignore it. Obama instructs his DOJ to defend DADT and DOMA in court using the most heinous language that could have easily been written by the far-right. And, the DOJ has no legal obligation to make these defenses anyway. There are examples of ALL past presidents from Reagan forward who didn’t have their DOJ defend laws they disagreed with in court. Obama instructs the Homeland Security Department to not enforce an immigration law that would deport foreign widows/widowers of deceased american citizens while waiting for congress to “fix” the law, but at the same time claimed he couldn’t issue an executive stop loss order to end DADT discharges while waiting for congress to repeal DADT.

For those of you who claim that gays sitting home and not voting will put the republicans back in charge and ruin it for everyone else, there’s a solution. Stop tell us that we should be willing ONCE AGAIN to give up our rights for the good of everyone else. Instead, fight with us to get the politicians to follow through on their promises to EARN OUR VOTES. It’s time for the non-progressive dems to take one for the team instead of expecting the progressives to do it once again. Because, quite honestly, I’m willing to let the republicans have control back and ruin the country for EVERYONE and not just gays and real progressives.

Of course heavy losses will probably teach the dems the wrong message and they will figure they need to move further to the right in the future.

35. Musicboy says

“Because, quite honestly, I’m willing to let the republicans have control back and ruin the country for EVERYONE and not just gays and real progressives.”

That makes you irresponsible.

36. Patric says

Tim, it’s quite presumptious of you to refer to those of us who happen to have a different view than you on the President’s motives and on whether it would be feasible and to the benefit of our community for the President to attempt to bulldoze through other significant, powerful Washington players like Gates, Mullen, Ben Nelson, Byrd and others whose support is critical for an enduring and successful repeal of this policy as “non-progressive”. Some of us probably have significantly more progressive views than many of you on issues like immigration reform and health insurance reform, etc. but differ from you in our assessment of how progress can realistically be achieved in a town like Washington. Neither the health insurance reform bill nor the financial regulation bill is “progressive” enough for my tastes but in my view they represent what this President could accomplish at this time in the face of intransigent resistance and frankly, given what we’ve observed, I’m pretty amazed that he’s been able to accomplish this much.

37. Randy says

“Across my Administration, openly LGBT employees are serving at every level.”

Really? Who are the openly LGBT members of cabinet?

“… we must give committed gay couples the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple, and repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.”

Your Supreme Court appointee appears to disagree with you. And how are you going to convince next year’s Republican congress to go along with this?

38. says

Y’all remind me of many of the East European activists I know, all of whom claim THEY live in the most homophobic country. It’s far far worse in Hungary. No, Poland is the homeland of homophobia! No, it’s the Serbs. Let’s find some reason to claim that we are the worst off of all!

Hate crimes, HIV ban lifted, hospital visits, and DADT in the works. It couldn’t get any worse, could it? I’m sure Hilary would have done much much more for us in 16 months and probably proclaimed an LGBT pride year! Because she wouldn’t have had any opposition and could have done everything she wanted.

39. says

Sounds good to me. Yeah, a Friday dump is a fair thing to say…it’s the Friday before the month in question. But okay, keep reveling in your outsider status and whining that Obama hates you. (This is not for the people who have criticisms of Obama, which he deserves, but for the more histrionic types who foolishly believe he’s a gay disaster, homophobe, etc.) I think Hillary would’ve been a great prez but let’s not forget she shares Obama’s fake civil-unions-only opinion and also probably shares her husband’s careerism…I’m not sure she’d have done much, if anything, more for gay people.

40. Toonces says

“…our nation has striven…”?

Going with the outmoded past participle? Really?

Maybe the awkward just kicks in whenever the subject of the queers comes up.

Remember how Hillary was just such a ‘politician’ and this guy was going to change everything, and that so-well-informed Melissa Etheridge drooled all over him during the “gay debate”? Yeah, good times.

41. Aidan MT4 says

The turn that the GOP has taken is the worst since the McCarthy era, perhaps in history. It’s beyond scary. They will come back into power, make no mistake about it–the upcoming midterms look bad for Dems, despite the fact that most Reps are certifiable loons–and when they do, they’ll finish the job that G. W. Bush nearly succeeded in accomplishing: destroy the country.

Pressure Obama about the issues that matter to us, and pressure him hard, but maintain some perspective. Symbolism, like Obama’s proclamation, does matter. It changes public opinion over time. Read today’s piece in the New York Times about the implementation of the end of DADT. It’s not merely a matter of waving a magic wand; some gay service members genuinely worry about harassment and violence in the military when DADT ends.

Again, an aggressive course to our goals, but maintain perspective.

42. Tim says

Really Patric? Did you enjoy learning that Obama had promised the Hospital Associations that the Public Option would not be in the final bill before the process even started and then throughout the process he kept saying he supported a public option and went so far as to say in one address that he wouldn’t sign a bill that didn’t contain a public option? Did you enjoy learning that Obama had told the military BEFORE the SOTU union address that he would not work to get congress to act this year on DADT? I notice you didn’t address the fact that Obama won’t issue health benefits that have been legally ORDERED by the court. And, Gates and Mullins work for Obama, not the other way around. If they aren’t on board with their commander in chief, they need to be replaced You may be amazed at what he has been able to accomplish. It is my view that he could have accomplished much more if had had recognized early on that republicans had no intention of supporting ANYTHING no matter what. He wasted too much time in Senate negotiations with republicans on health care that gained him no votes. He should have spent his time beating up wavering dems and showing some strength instead of always backing down. But, then again, you would have to believe he actually wanted progressive reform in the first place and his backroom deal on the public option shows that he didn’t. The admin needed to get as much of their agenda through while they still had 60 votes in the senate. He should have shown strength and followed through on his message of “change” and “yes we can”. He is governing out of the fear of riling up the far right for turnout this fall and in the process he is depressing the turnout of the left. What we have gotten to date on all issues is watered down legislation that has riled up the far right anyway. If you are going to get them angry, you might as well do it with something worth getting angry about. He’s not gaining any support from the right by passing weak legislation. But, he is losing support from the left. So, it’s a net loss for the mid-terms. A good example is his support of Blanche Lincoln. It was quite clear last summer during the health care debate that she had no chance of being reelected. The White House should have told her to get on board and do what is right because you’re going to likely lose anyway. And, if you don’t get on board, you will get no support from us for reelection. Instead they let her drag out the debate forever. And now they look weak because they are supporting her in what will be a losing battle in her primary. If she manages to win her primary, just watch HOW FAST her amendment on derivatives is dropped from financial reform because she only proposed that to try to win back some support from the left. In fact, she doesn’t even understand her own proposal. She couldn’t explain it when asked for details. Another senator had to jump in and save her by explaining it for her. I understand that that having even conservative dems in the senate can be helpful especially when you reach 60 of them. But, they really aren’t of any use when they won’t even vote for cloture and allow filibusters on actual progressive legislation. They should at least be there for the party to allow an up or down vote.

43. Tim says

HOTGUYWXW said….”SURE he hasnt done much and by munch I mainly mean end ENDA and DADT, but I’m sure they’ll be gone by 2012…he needs left big time in 2012″

And, just how do you think Obama will get these done when there are going to be fewer dems in congress after this fall?

44. says

Pres. Obama has released a pro-gay proclamation. Outrageous! How dare he? Does he think we’re idiots? I’d rather be burned at the stake by Republicans. At least they’re honest!

Funny how when Obama does something minor yet positive for gay people, it’s cause for frothing at the mouth. But when McCain makes anti-gay showboating the center of his campaign, the most frothy-mouthed Obama critics are nowhere to be found. Yet you can’t imagine why anyone would suspect you’re a Republican troll.

Look, Obama deserves criticism. And proclamations aren’t worth anything if they never become reality. But every time he puts his promises into writing we can ask the President how he’s doing with those promises and continue to demand action. When politicians make promises, you spend your energies and use whatever leverage you have making sure they make good on them.

We can’t make demands of those whose only promise to us is that they will use our deviant lives to whip up enthusiasm from their wacko right-wing base. Instead of whining about proclamations, we should be working to elect more Progressives, to hold the Democrats to their promises, and to prevent the homophobic Republican majority from becoming a majority. But it’s easier just to hate Obama with his evil proclamation while offering no plausible alternatives.

45. anon says

Tim, you seem to know every vote counts, every seat matters. You also understand that lack of support for the Dems sends the message that they have gone too far, not that they haven’t gone far enough. That may be the wrong interpretation, but it is an easy one to make, when the net result is everything slips further to the right.

There is a right side and a wrong side to this and Obama is on the right side. You may think his position too far over the line, or his stance too weak, but throwing up your hands to jeer as the crazies take over is not the answer. Get behind him and help him pull in the direction you want the country to go.

My personal political ideals are far more progressive than just about any Dem in office, but I can’t magically teleport myself and the whole country to that sweet spot on the spectrum that’s to my liking. There are many powerful and entrenched forces pulling in the other direction. Why would you relinquish an inch to them? They’ll take your inch an add a mile.

You seem to have forgotten that progress involves a progression, one step at a time. When you actually support the steps being made, they have a way of quickening.

46. Patric says

OK, Tim. Let me start where we are actually in agreement. “It is my view that he could have accomplished much more if had had recognized early on that republicans had no intention of supporting ANYTHING no matter what. He wasted too much time in Senate negotiations with republicans on health care that gained him no votes.” I couldn’t agree more and, though I am a strong supporter of the President and believe he has accomplished more good for this country in the past 16 months than any President had in the past 50 years, I too was frustrated at the amount of time and energy he spent in 2009 on attempting to forge bi-partisan compromises with a party which clearly has no interest in cooperating with him on any matter of significance. “He should have spent his time beating up wavering dems and showing some strength instead of always backing down.” Yes, there were certainly moments in the health insurance reform debates where I wanted a little more Lyndon Johnson and little less Adlai Stevenson from the President.

As for the public option, you should address your fire toward Joe Loserman and others. You may believe, as I do, that Dems should have attempted from the beginning to pass a health insurance reform bill with a public option through reconciliation but, given the resistance of many in the caucus to pursuing that path, 60 votes were needed and there were not 60 votes for the public option. Loserman in particular went out of his way to torpedo that.

As for your allegations about what the President told the military before the SOTU address, you should cite your sources. In any event, I think we know pretty clearly that Gates and Mullen, despite their support for repeal, didn’t want action by Congress prior to completion of the study. Despite the views of some of you that repeal can be successfully accomplished by the President bulldozing past the concerns of the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and conservative Dem Senators like Nelson and Byrd who are willing to lend their support to a repeal effort which gives some deference to the conclusions of the study, others of us see this as a delicate negotiation in which the President recognizes that, in order for repeal to be implemented in a durable fashion, he needs to secure the backing and support of other key players. He’s done that and our prospects for long-term success in this effort are all the better as a result.

As for Blanche Lincoln, of whom I am not much of a fan, she did vote for health insurance reform in December and her opposition to a public option was meaningless given that Loserman and a couple of other Dems were already committed to sinking the public option. Her vote for reform in December in no doubt came about in part because of the White House’s efforts to woo her. I don’t see how your proposed approach of the White House having threatened to pull its support from her last summer would have increased the odds that she would have supported any health insurance reform She presumably would have looked at the polls in her state regarding support for health insurance reform and regarding support for the President and would have positioned herself for re-election by running against the President and touting his dismissal of her. Sure, it would not have been a strategy without risk for her given the possibility of the primary challenge which in fact came but she probably would be in a better position (one more like Charlie Crist) today had she taken that course. She didn’t take that course, and instead cast a needed vote for health insurance reform which, however flawed, has achieved the elusive progresive goal of dramatically expanding access, in large part because of how the White House handled her.

“I understand that that having even conservative dems in the senate can be helpful especially when you reach 60 of them. But, they really aren’t of any use when they won’t even vote for cloture and allow filibusters on actual progressive legislation. They should at least be there for the party to allow an up or down vote.” I agree with you but, again, your beef is not with the President but with Loserman and conservative Dems.

47. GaryJ says

Like all good politicians, he’s good with words.

Mr. President, where’s the goods?
    Where’s the equality?

48. SkepticalCicada says

Gridlock is right. The usual Friday afternoon dead media dump.

Did anyone else find the mention of the hospital visitation order insulting? We get to designate SOMEONE OTHER THAN AN IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER? WTF? Excuse me, but my partner of two decades IS my IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER!

49. FunMe says

yada yada

yada yada

Words are cheap. ACTIONS is what we are still waiting for.

I still stand firm on my pledge:

I pledge not to donate to the Democratic National Committee, Organizing for America, or the Obama campaign until Congress passes, and the president signs, legislation enacting the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), repealing Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (DADT), and repealing the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

50. Annoyed says

I love how people dismiss those with critical views of Obama as either being “white gays” hating on the “Black Pres”, or “bludgeon(ing) to death the hope”, or “evil and selfish to the core”, or “just unspeakably stupid”. What a strange worldview.

My opinion, not that you asked, Obama is a produced politician just like every other mainstream politician is. Every single one. Is he full of rhetoric? Completely. But he has to be in order to be safe and comfortable in his job. That’s how they do it. Say what they need to say to get elected and keep their supporters happy, do a little here and there so then their rhetoric comes across as more legit and tangible, but, when pressure comes from opposing sides to stop progress, Obama has folded just like nearly every other president and politician has done and will do.

Yes, it would have been amazing to have some real change. But, let’s be honest, it was a bit idealistic to believe that Obama, a politician molded and arising from the Chicago political elite, would change the status quo and fight the establishment. It was never gonna happen. He was produced by the mainstream politicians to be a mainstream politician. Change will come from the outside, but it seems our community hasn’t started thinking outside of the spoon-fed political box we are in.

Sure, Obama will go down as the greatest president for the gays, but it’s not like that was a hard thing to do. Thanks for the things you have done Obama, every little thing helps, but save the arrogant and indulgent proclamation. At least from my perspective.

Here’s a little secret. If a President REALLY wanted change, he could make it happen. Sure there are steps and procedures that take time, but the power is there. History shows that some presidents, despite enormous odds, have brought real change to this country. Obama, unfortunately, isn’t even close to one. Same old story, just another day.

51. says

One thing you can say about our current President . . . he sure doesn’t lack for chutzpah! The words “Gay Pride” ought to burn his tongue when he says them. Hypocritical bastard, comparing Gay Americans to pedophiles and incest perpetrators on one hand, and kissing up to them on the other! Barack Obama represents cynical politics at its absolute worst.

52. TANK says

The people completely overjoyed and happy about this…are message managers or are extremely stupid. It’s either extreme cynicism or stupidity…or a combination.

For those who would like to know why people are dissatisfied with this, imagine giving black americans black history month instead of the civil rights act. Do you think they’d be satisfied? Do you think they’d believe that they’re being honored by this country short of any tangible equality? And I’ll it for you, because some here have their heads buried so far up their asses that the sun revolves around the earth for them.

53. Mike In Philly says

I don’t see how anyone can see this as anything but a good thing. Reagan didn’t utter the word AIDS till his last year of his Presidency. Mr. Towleroad, I believe you must have a very young,impatient and ungrateful demographic. To me this is amazing.I used to be arrested for merely being in a gay bar. Now the President of The United States hires openly gay staff members, holds gay functions in the White House and issues proclamations such as this one. Gays will be able to marry and D.A.D.T. is in the process of being overturned. These things take time.President Obama has to climb over a mountain of hatred to get these policies passed. Show some gratitude, for God’s sake . George W. wanted to change the Constitution to FORBID gay marriage. What the hell is wrong with some of you ?

54. TANK says

That’s right, mike. We are young and likely haven’t faced the discrimination that you have. We expect more, and our expectations will not be dampened by descriptions of how bad it once was and how far we’ve come. We haven’t come nearly far enough. Never forget, but never be afraid to demand more…especially when you have so little, and so little control over why you have so little.

55. Kyle Sullivan says

Obama talks a lot and does as little as possible, and his little weasels in the White House do their damnedest to make it seem like he “really, really wants to but other things get in the way.”

Anybody want to bet he vetoes the defense spending bill “because it has that jet engine in it he doesn’t want,” then in the new bill there’s nothing about DADT? “Sorry, tried but it won’t happen till next year.” Just like he and Gates and the Pentagon wanted.

As Church Lady used to say, “How convenient.”

56. MrRoboto says

Mike in Philly… The reason many of us younger gays are mad and dissatisfied with this tokenism is because we want to see true change take place not only before you die, but before we do too.

If significant change doesn’t happen before these upcoming midterm elections in November, it’s not likely to happen afterwards. Decades of election precedents have shown us that conservative voters show up in droves in midterm elections, while typically Democratic voters (the young, black voters, women) tend to stay home. One group of typically Democratic voters that bucks that trend is gay voters. As a bloc, we have one of the highest turnout rates in both midterm and Presidential election cycles. What many are saying here is that that might actually change this year. The President’s laundry list of accomplishments above are crumbs. Some of those crumbs might be tasty, but they’re still crumbs. If something significant doesn’t get pushed through before November (and that means FULL repeal of DADT, which now is clearly NOT going to happen, or the passage of ENDA), neither is likely to get much movement before 2012 either. And the reason is simple: there won’t be enough votes for either in Congress. EVERY realistic prognosticator in the game is saying that Republicans will gain in the 2010 elections. If there aren’t enough votes in Congress now, there sure as hell won’t be enough after November 2nd. And no matter how much Obama might realistically want ENDA passed or DOMA repealed, there won’t be enough votes in Congress, and as his puppet Gibbs keeps telling us, these are Congressional matters to take care of, Obama can’t do it himself. And here’s how DADT is likely to play out. Congress may vote this year to actually repeal the Congressional DADT law. But that repeal as we now know has not effect whatsoever on actual Pentagon policy. It does not include a non-discrimination requirement. It gives 2 certification votes out of 3 to members of the military (both of whom are Republican appointees and holdovers). And even IF those 3 certify the findings of the implementation study, there is then a 60 day delay thanks to our buddy Sen. Byrd. That takes any further vote or say out of Congress’ hands during their lame duck session, when outgoing Democrats can undo some of their foolish damage. Those 60 days carry us into the next Congress’ hands, a Congress that EVERYONE with any sense of reality says will be more heavily Republican. We had to struggle, threaten and cajole to even muster enough votes in this Congress to pass this out of committee. How does anyone with a sense of reality think we’re going to muster enough votes to actually get it done when there are more Republicans in power? Seriously. Can anyone who’s content now to say, “Progress takes time, I’m fine with all of this,” explain to me how you realistically think that things are going to get done when more Republicans are in office in 2011? Gay voters have virtually nothing to do with that. Whether we stay home or not, Republicans are gaining more seats on November 2nd. End of story. The lesson we’ve learned, thanks to Obama himself, is the “fierce urgency of now.” It’s not selfishness or impatience. It’s reality. If some of this doesn’t happen before November 2nd, it likely will not happen until after 2012, when we’ll be begged once again for our votes for Obama and Dems, who really, truly, “honest injun” are for the gays. And then we start this whole cycle all over again.

Frankly, I don’t believe it anymore. I believed with Clinton, in both of his elections. I desperately tried to believe it with Gore and Kerry, and watched as our community got scapegoated and blamed for the 2004 election loss. I had hope again with Obama in 2008, and watched as he’s soft-pedaled and done little more than give more and more pretty speeches. If all of this gets pushed out to 2012, then I’m done. I will have no reason whatsoever to believe the promises of equality that Obama and the Dems have trotted out since 1992.

57. HawaiiBill says

Kind of weird that everyone seems to gloss over the fact that the hate crimes protections are now law. we demanded them, made them a litmus test, got them. Would that have happened if the Republicans were still in power? How soon we forget.

58. Mike In Philly says

@TANK You just reminded me. I forgot the word naive. I’ve been involved in the fight for gay rights since that very first “rally” right here in Philly. If I remember correctly a dozen or so people showed up. I’ve worked with activists from Harvey Milk to Barney Frank . We marched in hundreds of gay pride parades,beaten up countless times for ungrateful little fools like you. Your welcome. Now I can see why you are considered Towleroad’s village idiot.

59. TANK says

And you, mike in philly, have achieved nothing for your efforts. So who’s the real idiot? Nothing. Your accomplishments are WORTHLESS. You and your worthless kind have gotten us nowhere, and now expect us to be satisfied with the pageantry and pretty words that mollify your type? You who have achieved dick? Go fuck yourself This isn’t about naivete, this about results–you have provided none.

60. Bryan says

All I hear in this comment section is “Waaaah waaaah The first president to ever truly be sympathetic towards the LGBT community isn’t doing enough GIMME GIMME GIMME.”

Suck it up, pansies.

61. anon says

TANK–FUCK YOU!!!!

Mike in Philly, thank you. I’m sorry you’ve had that kind of abuse hurled at you. Your efforts have been, are, and continue to be invaluable.

62. TANK says

So Mike, are you writing love letters to yourself under anonymous? That just achieves so much, too.

No longer are we satisfied with public statements of support, hiring token gays, not being harassed by the cops, and not being villanized by high profile politicians as much as we were. That is, just getting by (surviving while being treated unequally) isn’t enough for us any more. We have higher expectations for our lives and legislation than that…it’s a new generation that you can’t even begin to comprehend.

63. MrRoboto says

HAWAIIBILL – Don’t get me wrong, Hate Crimes are not insignificant, but both the 2007 House and Senate passed Hate Crimes Legislation, but they were pulled from the Defense Authorization Bill by Dems because of fear of a Bush veto. I wish they would have gone ahead let Bush veto that Defense bill so that his good ol’ boys could bash without fear. It’s great that they finally passed again in 2009, but I don’t know much of what Obama had to do with it, beyond an April 2009 photo op with Judy Sheppard (who was supposed to have a meeting with Obama on the matter and got one minute to snap a photo with him and hear his assurance that she had his support). It seems like the House first and then the Senate did all of the heavy lifting, and Obama got to put it in HIS column of wins.

Hate Crimes are great, but knowing that my killer might get a few extra years on sentence after he kills me doesn’t exactly make any more impressed by Obama’s alleged “fierce advocacy” that equals out to precious little.

64. james Brown says

This is a helluva lot more than any other President has accomplished! Especially King George!

65. Mike In Philly says

@Tank “my kind” (whatever that means) has accomplished nothing ? Are you out of your mind or can anybody still be that ignorant?
    Did you know that gays were still being castrated in this country in the 1950’s? In this country gays were institutionalized in 1960’s. Did you know that homosexuality was considered a mental illness as late as 1973. It wasn’t actually removed from the DSM until 1972.
    The rate of teen gay suicides have dropped 90% since 1968. “My kind” have saved thousands of lives. What have you done?
    Today gays are getting married in more and more states. Homosexuals used to be openly beaten by the police, now these attacks are considered hate crimes. You don’t see that as progress? Also you can no longer be fired from a federal job for being gay. And the vast majority of states have made it illegal to evict someone simply for being gay. The remaining few will follow soon. I could go on and on.
    You know nothing Tank. Nothing. Read some books, watch some movies and learn before you speak on subjects in which you are obviously ignorant. Start with “Milk”. It’s very easy to understand.
    And if I were going to praise myself don’t you think I’d have put in another name and not post anonymously? Idiot.
    And thanks to ANON and all the others who defended me.

66. Mike In Philly says

“It wasn’t actually removed from the DSM until 1972″ I meant 1974. Sorry about that.

67. anon says

NO ONE has proclaimed mission accomplished. However, some perspective, celebration, and gratitude (YES, GRATITUDE) for the victories along the way is in order.

Tank, your cause is just but you have a black, black heart. You make enemies of any would-be friends. Why? You are a small man who stands on the shoulders of giants, and you think you are all high mighty.

That you can’t even comprehend someone would praise and defend Mike from your poison says everything about you. We’re fighting for your freedom to love–and it will happen, fully and completely, not thanks to you, but thanks to Mike and his “kind”–but no one, not even the power of Zeus, will ever be able to help you actually feel love.

What a sad, empty victory it will be for you.

68. TANK says

You just don’t get it. We don’t have federal workplace protections, marriage equality, and don’t ask don’t tell is still on the books. The suicide and homlessness rate of lgbt teens is still the highest per capita. This is unacceptable. As I said, surviving ain’t the objective anymore. It hasn’t for a long time. People of your generation don’t get that, and likely never will. I understand why you’re impressed by rhetoric and token acknowledgement given how bad it once way, but we aren’t. The very real discrimination we face based on nothing more than empty bigotry and hate is more than we’re willing to tolerate. This is not enough for us. It is enough for you, but not for us.

69. TANK says

In terms of federal law, you have achieved nothing. We are still second class citizens who pay first class taxes. And no, the federal hate crime bill is simply not enough, and if anyone is satisfied with that, they are no friend of this community, whatever their sexual orientation happens to be.

70. HawaiiBill says

@MRROBOTO: I totally agree with you that hate crimes legislation is not enough. Nor is it or was it a priority for me. Murder is murder to the person killed regardless of sexual orientation, race or creed, but that is a different intellectual conversation for a different thread.

My point was that many do not recognize or acknowledge achievement when it bites them in the ass…that’s all.

We have a loooong way to go and that will be accomplished by agitating, holding feet to the fire, lobbying, marches, kicking and screaming and playing the political game. None of those by themselves are effective. But the immature name calling and denigration of allies that is practiced by some on this site frequently only makes it that much harder. The right wing loves it when we eat our own.

71. anon says

I don’t hear anyone saying it is enough. We are saying it is progress. To attack someone for making progress is crazy. Attack those fighting progress.

72. says

Tank, do you ever leave your house? Seriously. Young people should be out playing in the sunshine.

This pitting one generation against another is useless and ludicrous. I know young gay people who don’t even know enough to think the bigoted status quo is bad. And I know fierce, passionate young gay people. And I know older gay people who have been on the front lines for decades and have no plan to accept anything less than full equality. (Those old farts can get married in my state because of their work, BTW.) Of course in 30 years the next generation will be telling today’s young people that they’ve achieved nothing, too, except making endless masturbatory comments on those quaint old blogs. And they may be right.

Like it or not, we’re all in this together.

73. TANK says

No, you are saying that we don’t have a long way to go by praising this “proclamation”. It’s as simple as that. Your zealous defense of this rhetoric which achieves nothing in terms of tangible rights, while talking about how bad it once was (castration, etc) for gays and lesbians is to quite literally implore people to believe that this is the best we can achieve, and to rest on our laurels. This deserves NO PRAISE for it accomplishes NOTHING (something you’re used to, Mike, anon, and ernie–and then slapping each other on the back for ACCOMPLISHING NOTHING). This is not progress, for there are no rights that come with this. And to have to explain that to you people underlines not only the generational divide, but more significantly, the fact that you have lower IQ’s, and are easily impressed with pretty words and colors… And ernie, do you know what an ad hom is? Because you’ve proven that you don’t have an argument. And I’m not the one who started to pit generations against each other, jizz mop.

74. says

Oh, Tank, I couldn’t care less if I have an argument or not or if you have an IQ of 4 million. It’s only a blog. I often agree with your arguments, when I can slog thru them. You’re just such a gratuitously nasty person on here, and that’s not a generational thing. I hope it’s an online persona rather than an indication of what you’re like as a person, but that’s your business.

I do like jizz mop, tho! No one’s ever called me that before, and I happily adopt it as my new nickname.

75. Irony at his best says

Is it not ironic that June is traditionally the month for weddings or rather is it a slap in the face?

76. James says

We are so politically correct now that our name is so long that no one in their right mind will ever say “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered”. That’s a mouthful. Instead we are reduced to an abbreviation: LGBT. At the end of the day, being an initial isn’t much of an identity. Just call me gay please.

77. Carlos says

why do we take for granted what he has already accomplished? not easy to fully focus on this when in the midst of a major economic crisis and an environmental disaster, two wars, threat from Iran etc I’m foreign born american and most american whites have NO idea, the level of persecution, discrimination and outright fear of being gay in most of the world. How awesome that he proclaimed June as GLBT month. Obama is headed in the right direction, given the myriad of issues he is dealing with CUT THE MAN A BREAK. DADT is on its way of being repealed – ANY of these issues would simply be unimaginable to even discuss in my home country (mexico) where the level of discrimination of every sort, criticism from the RC church and ostracism from society/family are rampant. Oh and by the way, there’s no such thing as “legal protection” you’re simply a PUTO (faggot) and that’s it. BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE IN PURSUIT OF A MORE PERFECT UNION, CHANGE DOES NOT HAPPEN OVERNITE WAKE UP!!!

78. TANK says

Carlos, this is america, not mexico. As Americans, we shouldn’t measure how we treat each other by how the rest of the world does. That is unacceptable to our founding principles, and to human dignity (most of the rest of the world doesn’t understand things like human dignity, and religion certainly never did). There’s a downside to this, too…we are slowest of developed nations to respond ethically to civil rights shortcomings. But the unitd states is not who happens to be an american, and never has been. it’s a whole lot bigger and better than that (to use an american colloqualism). It’s an idea, and shall forever be normative and based in the future (where we ought to be, not where we are or where we’ve been). No individual, time period, or group is the united states. Patience when it comes to civil rights is a strategy of defeated people…defeated without a fight.

This proclamation is not living up to that idea.

79. Greenman says

Well, so much for any kind of unity in the face of oppression! Does all this badmouthing each other and the President give you guys a hard on? Am I the only one who remembers that Ronald Reagan couldn’t even utter the word AIDS? Or that George W. Bush was responsible for DOMA? Hell, I remember when being GLBT was a crime. So Obama could have done more, said more, done better, yada, yada yada. BUT he sure as hell could have done and said worse. Maybe when you’re through complaining you’ll join the rest of us in celebrating GLBT Pride… maybe WE can make the differance. Yeah, that “hopey, changey thing” still looks pretty good to me.

80. Blaz says

I think Lez is spot on. There is so much power working against Obama and our rights. I think he has brilliantly fought for us in the best way that he can. I think he continues to deserve our support as his “laundry list”of benefits shows. Has any other president ever had a laundry list… or even a list? of things that they have done for us? Everyone expected (even I) for Obama to step in and turn night to day. Well it doesnt work that way. It takes slow change, which research shows is better for N. America as a whole. Does that mean give up our fight and sit idly by? Hell no, I think we should turn up the heat every day. But give credit where credit is due, and I think Obama deserves it.

81. jacksmith says

Alan Grayson Honors The Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9TRoYMtjs&feature=player_embedded

I want to commend all of you for working so hard and being so strong at helping the whitehouse and congress begin to address our U.S. and Global healthcare crisis. You have been AWESOME! my fellow Americans and peoples of the World. America and the World is better and safer for it. My greatest pride is the knowledge that I am one of you. And that you really get it. You really understand the importance of it all.

There are some potentially very good things in the healthcare legislation. Especially with the reconciliation fix’s. The Democrats, Bernie Sanders and the Whitehouse did a GREAT! job of fighting to produce the best healthcare legislation that they could. They have earned all our strong support. And we should give it to them.

But it was your relentless pressure and hard work that made the difference. Whatever good comes from this healthcare legislation, America and the peoples of the World will have each of you to thank. You were smart, creative, courageous and relentless. You fought together for the best legislation possible. And when you had to, you fought alone. No matter who stumbled and fell you continued to push and forge ahead. Fighting for the lives and health of the American people and the World. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR-SELVES :-)

It may come to pass that future generations will look back on us and say that we were ALL Americas Greatest Generations. And that healthcare reform was our finest hour. You should be proud of our leaders President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, Majority Leader Reid and the many other Democratic and independent fighters for the people in congress. They proved them-self worthy of the leadership of a GREAT! PEOPLE.

But we are not done yet. This was just the beginning of healthcare reform, not the end. WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES, ARE NOT! divided on healthcare legislation. The vast majority of you have been consistently crystal clear that this legislation does not go far enough. You want a strong Government-run Public Option CHOICE!! available to everyone on day one. And you want it NOW!

YOU MUST NOT ALLOW AN INDIVIDUAL MANDATE TO STAND WITHOUT A STRONG GOVERNMENT-RUN PUBLIC OPTION CHOICE! AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE.

WE THE PEOPLE have been crystal clear that we want an end to dependence on for-profit healthcare and the for-profit proxies called private for non-profit healthcare. The American people want the CHOICE! of a strong Government-run Public Option to replace their need or dependence on healthcare providers whose primary motivation is profit. Rather than providing the highest quality, easiest accessible and most affordable medically necessary healthcare possible. This is what the rest of the developed World has. And the American people want it too. They want healthcare ASSURANCE! Not, for-profit health insurance. And they want it NOW!

Now is the time to continue the push for a strong Government-run Public Option CHOICE! available to everyone that wants it on day one. Rationally it’s clear what we have to do to get this done. SUPPORT THE DEMOCRATS that supported you with a Public Option choice, and REMOVE as many republicans as you can. Not one republican in congress was willing to step across the isle to support a strong Government-run Public Option CHOICE!! available to everyone on day one. NOT ONE! Let no candidate prevail this November that does not support a Strong Government-run Public Option.

47,000 AMERICANS die each year from lack of healthcare. 120,000 die from treatable illness that don’t die in other developed countries. Hundreds of thousands of you are dieing from medical accidents in a rush to profit. And Millions of you are injured. Millions more are driven into bankruptcy. All for the privilege of paying two to three times as much as any other people in the developed world for healthcare. HOGWASH!

Additionally, tens of thousands of you and your children were killed and millions sickened and injured from a terror attack with H1N1 (swine flu). Released on the American people and the World by the for-profit healthcare industry. All in an attempt to panic and frighten you into accepting the oxymoronic criminal enterprise of private for-profit healthcare (The most costly, deadly, dangerous, and disgraceful product sold in America). H1N1 is still sickening people and killing them. Especially children, the young and the middle aged. And there will be a third wave. These are the terrorist you need to worry about the most. Even the so-called international terrorist would not do something so INSANE! But greed driven medical profiteers would and did.

Apparently as far as republicans in GOVERNMENT are concerned, YOU! my fellow Americans – CAN JUST DROP DEAD! Including their own family members. Fools!… Hundreds of thousands of you, and possibly millions of you will die from the long-term effects of your infection and poisoning with H1N1.

So my fellow Human Beings. Rest-up, Take good care of the basics (Balanced nutrition, hydration, exercise, rest and POSITIVE emotional supports). Then wade back into the FIGHT! for a strong Government-run Public Option CHOICE! available to everyone on day one. Drug re-importation, Abolishment or strong restrictions on patents for biologic and prescription drugs. And government controlled and negotiated drug and medical cost. You must take back control of your healthcare system from the Medical Industrial Complex. You MUST do it NOW! This is a matter of National and Global security. There can be NO MORE EXCUSES.

God Bless You My Fellow Human Beings. I’m glad to know of you. And proud to be one of you.

See you on the battle field.

Sincerely

jacksmith – WorkingClass :-)