Gay Pride | Music | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

Rapper Cancels DC Black Pride Appearance, Accused Of Homophobia

WaleRapper Wale has been accused of being homophobic, this after pulling out of this month's upcoming DC Black Pride event.

Earl Fowlkes, a DC Black Pride board member, tells Metro Weekly: ''What happened is that when the first blast went out that Wale was going to be at Black Pride he got cold feet, and his agent first said Wale wasn't available because he had to do family stuff. Then we got another e-mail saying he didn't know what kind of event this was when he agreed to it.''

Wale's agent sent an e-mail to the group claiming they were misled about the nature of the event.

But Fowlkes isn't buying it: "We said, 'We told you up front, how could we hide that DC Black Pride is LGBT? They just said he couldn't do it. So it basically is homophobia rearing its ugly head once again, and on our 20th anniversary, it's really sad.''

As most celebrities naturally do these days, Wale has taken to Twitter in order to tell his side of the story. A few of his many tweets about the incident:

''How do people read publications and run with WHATEVER is said.jus because its said/written ..I don't get it."

''I didn't even know bout a show..I have done 48 shows this year..and I haven't booked one personally...ya smell me''

''Some ppl love a 'story'.. Sooo bad that they'll turn people against u..its sad, so u get ur story , in turn, u turn ppl against me?"

Watch Wale's video for his song "Chillin'," featuring Lady Gaga, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. He's really managed to back himself into a corner, hasn't he?

Posted by: Justin Wilson | May 22, 2010 1:32:36 PM

2. Because someone backs out of a LGBT event, they're considered homophobic? I'm not sure I agree with that.

Posted by: Barry | May 22, 2010 3:50:23 PM

3. doing a video with gaga leads me to doubt he's homophobic.

Posted by: hughman | May 22, 2010 4:01:10 PM

4. Hey, get real Barry and Hughman. Read this rapper's reaction to finding out he was booked at a GLBT event. Yep, he's as homophobic as rappers come!

Posted by: Texas Jaybird | May 22, 2010 10:15:02 PM

5. Hey, he just said that he wasn't willing to do "that kind" of event. That seems pretty homophobic. Also, Steve, why would you post a link to his music video? Why would we want to watch it?

Posted by: lessthan | May 22, 2010 11:35:41 PM

6. "HipHop music is for everybody..I love all the supporters"

- Wale

Posted by: JeffRob | May 22, 2010 11:58:13 PM

7. If he didn't what too do the event, then just say so and don't give people the run around, it's a waste of time and money.

Posted by: Dawnell_do | May 23, 2010 1:08:55 AM

8. A black rapper is homophobic! Shocking!

Posted by: Tank | May 23, 2010 1:22:40 AM

9. Not me ^. But...now that you mention it, can't really disagree...the few white rappers out there are homophobic, too.

Posted by: TANK | May 23, 2010 2:54:08 AM

10. If you read carefully, the underlying message is what he DOESN'T say in his tweets. He could say things like, "I support LGBT causes" or something like that. Instead, it's a bunch of back-peddling and obfuscation to try and get out of a real answer.

Posted by: johnny | May 23, 2010 6:34:17 AM

11. who wants this kind of garbage doing BS entertainment anyhow?????

Posted by: STEVE RICHMOND | May 23, 2010 11:56:20 AM

12. The same people who like the shit you listen to Steve.

Black Gay Pride Andy never posted anything about those celebrations before. But funny me and a buddy said yesterday watch this hit the Gay blogs when normally they don't. This is lite stuff I dred what that racist site QueertyKKK will be saying about it.

SMDH!