News | Ryan Philippe

Ryan Phillippe Sad Nobody Got to See his Gay Kiss

Phillippe

Ryan Phillippe gives an excellent interview to the Advocate's Brandon Voss that touches on various "gay" moments in his career, from his first acting role on One Life to Live, to Mark Christopher's 54, to his altercation with Jay Leno.

On his first acting role as a a gay teen on One Life to Live: "Until I moved to New York to do that show, I didn’t have any gay friends. Coming from a religious school and being 17, I did feel weirdness from the church, and I felt ostracized by people I knew back home who were uncomfortable with that subject matter. But not only did I have this whole awakening about humanity, the fact that I started my career doing something so provocative also gave me strength as an actor to make choices of value and substance as my career went on."

On 54, and the "secret" uncut version that exists: "I don’t know how big of an appetite there is for it, but I would certainly support a DVD release of that version. Breckin [Meyer] and I were a bit sad that nobody got to see us kiss."

On being sexually objectified: "You have to get comfortable with it and realize that sexuality and finding actors attractive are a big part of the entertainment industry."

On a visit he made to Austin, Texas: "We ended up going to a gay bar there, but I don’t even think anyone noticed me. I was kind of shocked. Maybe my gay fans are just better behaved than my straight fans."

Maybe he just wasn't giving his "gayest look".

Comments

1. He's quite a teriffic actor but so gorgeous it can be slightly distracting. He's especially good in "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Igby Goes Down" -- which he plays the hero's snotty upper-crust New York brother to perfection. The entire cast of "Gossip Girl" could learn from him.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 13, 2010 11:05:19 AM

2. Sweet Jesus. Is Brandon Voss still asking various and sundry celebrities how they feel about having gay fans?

Tired.

Posted by: 24play | May 13, 2010 11:29:45 AM

3. He's ridiculously beautiful. I agree with David that it can be distracting, and that the brother in Igby Goes Down was a great role for him.

He could play Hamlet and all I'd want to do is pinch his cheeks and put little bows in his hair.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 13, 2010 11:40:12 AM

4. This snippet doesn't explain the "altercation with Jay Leno," mentioned in the lead sentence, for those of us who don't know about it. Where was the editor when this was posted?

Posted by: nacinla | May 13, 2010 12:03:33 PM

5. Nobody noticed him in Austin because he's not famous enough. He is the asshole who cheated on Reese. Nobody cares about you Ryan, sorry.

Posted by: barf | May 13, 2010 12:27:19 PM

6. I liked 54 a lot, I just wish there was more homosexual content (all of the main characters, except for Steve Rubell, of course, were straight). For a nightclub that was known for homosexuality, the movie lacked it.

Posted by: Dave | May 13, 2010 12:29:43 PM

7. For those who didn't notice the hyperlink to the explanation of his encounter with that PIG Leno:

"No matter that [his role on "One Life to Live"] was a serious one in which a gay son came out to his father. Leno had to squeeze as much of a joke out of the fact that his first acting role was a gay part, even asking Phillippe to look into the camera and give his 'gayest look'.

To Phillippe's credit, he seemed annoyed with the line of questioning."

Cue the silly little gay girls who will predictably come to PIG Leno's defense in 10, 9, 8, 7 ....

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | May 13, 2010 1:01:31 PM

8. Nobody noticed him in Austin because gay men in general are snooty and cliquish. A casual smile is usually met with attitude that says "you aren't my type".. sadly.

Posted by: ty | May 13, 2010 1:08:11 PM

9. I bet nobody noticed him in the Austin gay bars because he's just average looking in a sea of hot college boys, sorry but that's truth.

Posted by: RONTEX | May 13, 2010 1:21:39 PM

10. The audience at Outfest in 2008 DID get to see Ryan and Breckin's gay kiss, and the storyline that went along with it.

The rest of us are still wondering why we can't see the director's cut of this film.

This should be released on Blu-ray.

Posted by: Randy | May 13, 2010 1:25:55 PM

11. "TY", you are so on point. Thank you.

Posted by: Q | May 13, 2010 1:47:05 PM

12. He's a crap actor, period. Total crap. And no one got to see his gay kiss? You mean all those hours questioning his sexuality for nothing? NOOOO!!!!

Posted by: TANK | May 13, 2010 1:55:27 PM

13. Ouch! Harsh comments.
    He's a descent actor, who happens to be quite handsome.
    I like to see his kiss, but not to Mike Myers.
    The acid comments here are quite disturbing.
    A simple you couldn't care less, would suffice.

Posted by: Rob West | May 13, 2010 2:45:46 PM

14. Rob-

The kiss wasn't with Mike Myers. The kiss was with Breckin Meyer.

Posted by: Dave | May 13, 2010 3:17:53 PM

15. I concur that he's a one-note kind of actor. Even in a role where a limited acting range can be concealed by the character and circumstances and he is surrounded by other actors portraying weariness, drained of emotion (as in Flags Of Our Fathers), he stands out as one-note. He should try a movie where he's got to laugh a lot, every scene he laughs.

Still, that kind of acting fits in with the 54 crowd, which is why the director's cut of 54 should be out on dvd.

Posted by: DireFates | May 13, 2010 3:29:46 PM

16. I love this guy. I have always been a fan. I like his looks, his attitude and his acting.

Posted by: Jim | May 13, 2010 4:46:04 PM

17. I couldn't care less about Rob West's spelling problem, holier than thou comment, or that douche bag Ryan Phillippe.

Posted by: barf | May 13, 2010 5:29:14 PM

18. he was in Austin? Why wasn't I alerted? LOL

Posted by: Mark in Austin TX | May 13, 2010 5:36:11 PM

19. Ryan is just ridiculously gorgeous. He better be thankful I wasn't in Austin because I would have mauled his sexy ass.

Posted by: daws | May 13, 2010 6:54:23 PM

20. I want those lips on my dick LOL!

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | May 13, 2010 8:13:13 PM

21. Lots of jealous about Ryan on here....is Newsweek right?....

Posted by: aalan brickman | May 13, 2010 8:27:54 PM

22. BARF apparently cares very much about Phillippe, which is why he/she keeps posting about him.

And a "douchebag" and "asshole" who "cheated on Reese"???

I'm always amazed not only by how many people get their "insider" data from the tabloids and the Internet, but how emotionally vested they are in it. Douchebag indeed!

That said, Ryan is a minimalistic kind of actor, it's true. Some things he can do rather well... But he's beautiful, on the inside AND outside.

Posted by: chuckie | May 14, 2010 11:25:32 AM

23. I don't believe anything any actor would say especially with all the acey/duecy marriages that they are involved in. It's all fake, like a spay tan.

Posted by: richard s | May 14, 2010 12:19:58 PM

24. Gee, I didn't realize that cheating on his wife (if he did) was any of our business. It's highly unlikely that Ryan cares much about who we cheat on (or with) and that's as it should be.

Posted by: ChrisM | May 14, 2010 10:03:16 PM

25. I remember when I came out and went to the gay bars. I was so beautiful they were afraid to approach me. And the ones who did were UG-LEE. I agree about Ryan's unbelievable good looks. I can't focus on what he's doing. And I DON'T think he's a bad actor--he's done some good work and made some bad choices. Like all of us famous or not. Cheating an Reese? I never thought she was that hot and that he was doing her a FAVOR. Also: I hoped Ryan was straight 'cause I prefer str8 boyfriends, not live-ins. After reading his openness I now doubt seriously if he is even bi.

Posted by: Luke | Oct 4, 2011 9:20:31 PM