Football | News | Sports

Speculation in Spain as Barcelona Footballers Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Gerard Pique are Photographed Having Intimate Moment

Footballers

A moment caught on camera between Barcelona football stars Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Gerard Pique is stirring up a lot of speculation in Spain and in the football world.

Guanabee writes: "The image has caused people to speculate over the nature of their relationship. We should note that Ibrahimovic is married with children, and Piqué has been linked to Bollywood actress Lisa Lazarus. That, however, doesn’t preclude them from being involved with one another."

Comments

1. That does look like a tender moment. Its not the way your average straight guy stands with another straight guy. The closeness isnt the issue, but the hands AND the closeness is a bit revealing, even for latin/Mediterranean men (who seem more comfortable doing such things)its a bit unusual.

Posted by: rovex | May 7, 2010 10:24:30 AM

2. I don't see why this is causing a stir. Zlatan looks upset; Gerard looks like he's comforting a friend.

There have been plenty of times in life when I've been upset and had someone there to listen to me, or hug me, and it's never been anything more than two human beings caring for each other. Replace these two with any other pairing (gay male/straight female; two females) and no one would bat an eye. Why does the world think that men showing sensitivity to one another means that they are gay?

Posted by: Ray | May 7, 2010 10:25:42 AM

3. Just leave them alone. It's none of our business what is going on between them.

Posted by: Kyle | May 7, 2010 10:28:09 AM

4. Aww. What a sweet moment.

Posted by: Robert | May 7, 2010 10:29:40 AM

5. CUTE!!!

Posted by: Jon B | May 7, 2010 10:33:03 AM

6. @ Ray

Uh huh.

I've NEVER been comforted like that by just a friend.

Posted by: Rowan | May 7, 2010 10:33:30 AM

7. tender and sweet. i wish i knew the story.

Posted by: nic | May 7, 2010 10:35:23 AM

8. I think it's sad that whenever 2 men express concern, deep feelings, or any kind of intimacy, it's immediately painted with a gay brush. I'm sure they don't think of themselves as gay.

Are we still stuck with stereotypes of men as macho and women as emotional?

Posted by: Kevin | May 7, 2010 10:40:53 AM

9. While I agree that moment looks tender and sweet their peen's are almost tip to tip and for most straight dudes that's a no fly zone, just sayin'

Posted by: RONTEX | May 7, 2010 10:44:07 AM

10. I agree, Ray. Rovex is probably right that the "average" straight man (well at least the average straight man in Peoria and Podunk) is too scared to get that close to his friends. But millions of people are not "average" in all kinds of ways. These guys are not at all "average" in their athletic abilities. They are way above average in looks. They are likely far above average in income and travel experience. Maybe something about them (trigonometry marks? -- I don't know) could be below average.
    I think it's unfortunate that men, whether straight gay or bisexual, are examined under a microscope upon any showing of affection or emotion.

Posted by: GregV | May 7, 2010 10:45:12 AM

11. I'm reminded of Ewan McGregor's response to George Stephanopoulos' question about a kiss. In this case, I think the appropriate thing to say when folks ask what this is all about is "it's holding hands."

Posted by: JT - the original | May 7, 2010 10:46:29 AM

12. WOW, leave these guys alone. If there is a chance they are gay and not out, WE should not be posting photos and making comments like this.

Posted by: Fred | May 7, 2010 10:50:16 AM

13. Ray - it's called body language.

Is "comforting" anything like "lifting my luggage" or "hiking the Appalachian trail"?

Posted by: Steve | May 7, 2010 10:50:47 AM

14. That is a very beautiful albeit innocent moment. The Eurospanish man is much like his Italian brother---VERY unguardedly emotional. Anyone who has been to Florence and Barcelona mustn't gasp at this photo. I call it the "Gareth Thomas Effect" where suspicion lurks everywhere now that reality had hit home with his coming out in the testosterone-saturated sports universe.

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | May 7, 2010 10:53:53 AM

15. Who knows what's going on between this two. But as noted by the Spanish press, this photograph is being released at a time when the competition for the title against the Real Madrid is at its peak.

Posted by: Rafael | May 7, 2010 11:10:30 AM

16. How dare you say someone might be gay? Don't you know that's the worst thing you can say about someone? Especially two public figures IN public? How horrible to show a picture of two men being nice to each other! I'm horrified and disgusted! We must never speak of these things! You must keep the secret -- NOBODY KNOWS GAY MEN EVEN EXIST!!!

Or, in other words, get over the self-loathing, Kyle and Fred.

Posted by: ohplease | May 7, 2010 11:13:06 AM

17. I'm not going to speculate on their relationship based on one photo.

If they're gay lovers, it's big news in the sports world. But on a personal level, this is Barcelona (aka, the San Francisco of Europe -- sorry Amsterdam!). I lived there for 5 years after college... and believe me, plenty of soccer and basketball stars were out at gay clubs and saunas, trying to fly under the radar...

Posted by: JTlvr | May 7, 2010 11:22:57 AM

18. Zlatan: "I wish I knew how to quit you."

Posted by: Felix | May 7, 2010 11:33:34 AM

19. Wow, I'm astonished at the level of homophobic sounding defensiveness in some of the comments here.

I'm hearing a number of you expressing the view that these men are being insulted and demeaned by speculation that they might be gay.

Though I TOTALLY agree that men, straight and otherwise, SHOULD be allowed to express themselves with each other more intimately, without judgment or assumptions of homosexuality, the reality is that we aren't there yet and straight men, not even in Barcelona, express this level of intimacy with just friends.

Is this an invasion of their privacy? Yes. Is sports stars privacy invaded each and every day without anyone complaining? YES. If this man is married with kids, why should the press keep this a secret any more than if he were caught in the same situation with a woman? If that were the case NONE of you would be crying foul.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 7, 2010 11:40:16 AM

20. Gerard is cute. Zlatan, not so much.

Posted by: Rodney | May 7, 2010 11:50:56 AM

21. Cute...and HOT!

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | May 7, 2010 11:53:58 AM

22. I've worked with Ibrahimovic and not at any time in the 14 hrs we spent filming the commercial together did my gaydar even blink

Posted by: matt | May 7, 2010 12:10:40 PM

23. Why on earth would this photo incite hysteria? What is wrong with people? (If they were punching each other, people would probably feel very comfortable with that. But intimacy between two men...people go crazy.)

Posted by: Hank | May 7, 2010 12:23:10 PM

24. Wow, so now that we've worked 30 years to get respect, straight guys want a piece of the action? And Matt, your gaydar wouldn't go off because they are not attracted to "out" gays, only other straights...

Posted by: ty | May 7, 2010 12:39:29 PM

25. How do you pronounce 'Zlatan'?

Posted by: gayalltheway | May 7, 2010 1:06:03 PM