Gay Marriage | Larry King | Laura Bush | News

Watch: Laura Bush on Marriage —
Gay Couples 'Should Have the Same Rights' as Everyone Else

Laurabush

Former First Lady Laura Bush discussed her views on same-sex marriage and abortion on Larry King last night. She said committed gay couples should have the same rights as everyone else and believes acceptance of it is a "generational thing." She also discussed her views on abortion, that she believes it should remain legal.

In late April I posted an excerpt from her new book, which said, "In 2004 the social question that animated the campaign was gay marriage. Before the election season had unfolded, I had talked to George about not making gay marriage a significant issue. We have, I reminded him, a number of close friends who are gay or whose children are gay. But at that moment I could never have imagined what path this issue would take and where it would lead.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(Clip via Good As You)

Comments

1. @DON: I'm just going to let your racist post speak for itself.

Posted by: peterparker | May 12, 2010 3:36:41 PM

2. I understand what she means. Just cause they're married people would assume it's how her husband feels and call him a hypocrate. It wasn't her place to have an opinion because she wasn't running. She was supporting her husband and by speaking her opinion she'd also be undermining her husbands. It doesn't matter doma was signed by clinton anyways.

Posted by: Hannah | May 12, 2010 3:48:44 PM

3. Clinton tried the same trick, Neither he or Laura Bush want to be thought of as bigots.

Too bad, too little, too late.

We'll have to wait and see if Obama apologizes for "gawd's in the mix." He supported same sex marriage when he started out in politics but did a quick about face when the christer bigots called him on it.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | May 12, 2010 4:11:21 PM

4. Is it un-pc to call a woman a douchebag?? I agree with all the other comments...she should of had the balls to speak out when she was in a position to do make a difference, NOT when she's trying to sell a book. These were the 2000s not the 1950s. She had little to lose, no one could vote HER out. Ok, maybe not "nothing" but the Bush's would hardly be destitue without the White House and she would have saved at least a little of her integrity. This has nothing to do with gay rights, it has EVERYTHING to do with self-respect and worth. Compromising what you believe for a man, even if he is the POTUS...sad! Her hypocriticism makes me want to burn down a library! (just kidding, I love libraries, just not Laura).

Posted by: BuckeyeWxGuy | May 12, 2010 4:52:02 PM

5. So many comments, so well stated… I agree with Jacob. She's a fifties wife trapped in a 21st century point of view. She's spoken her mind, it rings true, so be it and god (or buddha) bless her. Maybe now she's free at last.

Posted by: larry | May 12, 2010 5:49:29 PM

6. Great, so she supports "same rights".

She also distorts her husband's anti-gay record and tries to rewrite history about it.

Give her a cigar...

Posted by: BobN | May 12, 2010 6:18:55 PM

7. Three words....

"Fuck you, bitch".

Posted by: TJL | May 12, 2010 9:03:37 PM

8. If she had said all these things while First Lady, I'm sure all the Republicans would be up in arms and ask for Dubya to resign. Now we should be thankful she's speaking out. She could redeem herself by making gay rights and pro-choice cause her rallying cry, speak at conventions and the media and join the party of liberal ideas--the Democratic Party.

Posted by: mcmgrant | May 12, 2010 9:18:52 PM

9. I'm ok with her coming forward with this. I don't care what it takes, I want people to hurry up and realize gay marriage isn't the end of mankind. Good for her - she'll get flack over this from the extreme right.

Posted by: KFLO | May 12, 2010 11:16:36 PM

10. This has got me to thinking: how many straight supporters of marriage equality remain quiet on the issue? The first lady's mind was changed years ago, most likely by the gay friends (and friends with gay family members) she mentions in her Lary King interview. I applaud those unnamed gays, yet the first lady was too afraid of public controversy. I can relate because my personal closet had me terrified of the vitreolic judgement of homophobes. So for the same reason I won't criticize any LGBT for when they finally decide to come out, I too won't judge Laura Bush for finally publicly joining our side. Welcome! Glad to have you!

Posted by: B.G. | May 13, 2010 10:17:04 AM

11. Why can't a first lady give her opinions and speak for gay rights? Who says? It is bull crap for some of you to say they can't. I am still waiting for Mrs. Obama to strongly come out for the repeal of DADT or for gay marriage or ENDA. That would take guts. If I was her I would do it regardless of what my other half was doing. Wouldn't that get noticed? What a novel concept for a minority woman to speak for the rights or another minority! As for Mrs. Bush, at his point what difference does it make? Really, none.
    She had her chance and as some say she isn't taking a real stand now.

Posted by: Rann | May 13, 2010 4:48:07 PM

12. She should have been honest while in office, when she had the power to create real change, and help deserving people like my friends Andrew and Andy: http://ourscenetv.com/posts/281/internet-superstars-equality-heroes

We're all still without our rights, thanks to liars like you Laura.

Posted by: Sam Bids | May 14, 2010 12:31:45 PM

13. What did you say, Roscoe, you ignorant cock?

Posted by: Alec | May 15, 2010 10:10:34 PM