Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Ke$ha | Military | News

Watch: Straight Soldiers Show Their Support for Gays in the Military by Dancing to Ke$ha

Tank1

Popped collars, go-go dancing atop heavy equipment, nudity, lip-dubbing in the showers. These are all things to be extremely concerned about if gays are allowed to serve openly in the military!

Though it appears the straight guys have beat them to it.

Writes the video's creator:

"Created by Codey Wilson and his elite step team of volunteers. Don't give us a hard time for this, please? We're just a few good men trying to enjoy ourselves and get this deployment over with. No one is gay... that we know of. Not that there is anything wrong with that! (political correctness) As a young aspiring film maker I was forced to release this early due to our friend in Afghans high school lip sinked music video. You know you love it. Enjoy it. Spread it. Live it. Lastly, ignore the copy cats that will soon follow and keep your taste for original creativity. Much love from the east!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Tank2

(via gawker)

Comments

1. And here I thought the military was overworked.

Posted by: Wes | May 12, 2010 2:37:34 PM

2. This skanky wench is not deserving of a military tribute.

Posted by: Gregoire | May 12, 2010 2:41:31 PM

3. Wait, the showers in the army aren't open? Then what the hell has all this "But what about gays in the showers?" bullshit been about? Seems it's a non-issue. (Not that it was ever a real issue.)

Posted by: Wil | May 12, 2010 2:44:35 PM

4. I think it's a funny spoof that skewers stupid concerns supporting DADT, and is dead on in terms of straight stereotypes about gays. But I bet there will be many diverging opinions---not just from the people on this site, but from the military and the general public.

I also suspect that at least one guy involved in the video's production is gay (or at least has gay friends or relatives), but of course they can't reveal that.

Posted by: Paul R | May 12, 2010 2:46:36 PM

5. thanks for our troops dancing in Irak , i mean fighting
    lol

Posted by: josepe | May 12, 2010 2:48:02 PM

6. The two guys with the Devo sunglasses set off my gaydar. the bear and the tall guy with the giant schnozz are definitely not gay.

Posted by: Lothar | May 12, 2010 2:48:08 PM

7. Oh, that's lip-SYNCHED, Andy...apoologies of the pedantry.

This is a nice, fun, frivilous sorta of thing and it's exactly what the fundies are afraid of but I applaud it.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 12, 2010 2:48:48 PM

8. next step activeduty.com

Posted by: Dino | May 12, 2010 2:57:04 PM

9. Meet Me In The Back With The JACK and The Jukebox! <3

You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ;) haha. Rock On

Posted by: slippy | May 12, 2010 3:01:55 PM

10. Praise the Lord! That's excellent.

Posted by: Modern Meet | May 12, 2010 3:05:50 PM

11. This is really funny and clever. However, it does feed into the cliche stereotypes about gay men not being "real" men--and that they are sexual predators.

Although we get the joke, I'm not sure if everyone does. Opponents use this very sexual chaos theory to oppose allowing gays to serve open in the military. There are many who believe (or want people to believe) that gays serving openly in the military would look just like this--and they feed that fear with things just like this.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into propaganda for bigots.

Posted by: Mark | May 12, 2010 3:06:07 PM

12. Nice to see these guys have their backs.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 12, 2010 3:21:48 PM

13. Where do I sign up?

Posted by: Scooter | May 12, 2010 3:27:19 PM

14. I was deployed to Iraq before I was discharged under Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I must say it is very moving to see such support from combat guys who are currently there.

Let's get this law overturned!

Posted by: Jake Orlando | May 12, 2010 3:29:34 PM

15. "This is really funny and clever. However, it does feed into the cliche stereotypes about gay men not being "real" men--and that they are sexual predators."

I think the point is that everyone in the video is supposed to be perceived as gay, and that repealing DADT will (in the minds of fundies) make everyone this gay. The army will just be one big gay party. It's supposed to feed into the cliche. They are basically saying that what the fundies are saying is just ridiculous. I personally LOVE it. I think this one was better done than the Telephone video because they over-hyped the gay stereotypes.

Shower scenes were the best when they just showed everyone looking at everyone else over/under/around the stalls.

Posted by: Alan E. | May 12, 2010 3:30:26 PM

16. Is this like a hot new meme? I think we have Eric Prydz to thank...

Posted by: crispy | May 12, 2010 3:31:38 PM

17. This is support? It seems like it makes fun of gays portraying them as sissies and then offers more fear to those who think that this is the result of gays serving openly. No kudos here!

Posted by: Rich T | May 12, 2010 3:39:04 PM

18. Well-said, Alan E. In classic rhetoric, these guys are using reductio ad absurdum, "a form of argument in which a proposition is disproven by following its implications to a logical but absurd consequence."

"Oh heavens, if the homos get in (or come out) in the military, then it will be singing and dancing and soap dropping in the showers. Heavens to Betsy and clutch my pearls!"

This is fantastic. Smart boys. And very hot. Stay safe guys and keep laughing.

Posted by: Smartypants | May 12, 2010 3:45:31 PM

19. Wow that brought back memories of my active duty days...over 25 years ago, 20+ guys dancing with each other in the NCO club! On more than several occasions.Fun times in Wackernheim!

Posted by: greg2 | May 12, 2010 3:50:19 PM

20. maybe the gays should be worried about the straights?

Posted by: cd | May 12, 2010 3:51:51 PM

21. The creator's video caption was edited to add the following:

"The video is an EXAGGERATED act of a possible future military that is open to any sexual preference.

No one is gay... that we know of. Not that there is anything wrong with that! (political correctness) I am NOT saying it IS ok to be gay in the military. I am not saying it's NOT OK."

Obviously distancing themselves from making any kind of statement. I dunno if that insertion of "political correctness" is supposed to explain the gay supportive statement that preceded it as obligatory or something (as opposed to genuine), but it looks like these guys may not be exactly gay rights advocates, just a bunch of typical guys being frivolous and stupid.

Posted by: Wes | May 12, 2010 3:57:33 PM

22. I was all ready to be offended, but I think it is really skewering the ridiculous claims of the homophobes that if you let gays in the military, it will turn the Army into one big bathhouse. It is so over the top with cliches that it is clear that the joke is on the anti-gays, not the gays. Also, the fact that these guys are laughing about the whole thing shows that the issue is not nearly as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. So all in all, I think this is a pro-gay video.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | May 12, 2010 3:58:12 PM

23. CD - only because they can't dance :-)

Posted by: CPT_Doom | May 12, 2010 3:58:52 PM

24. It's fun.
    It's funny.
    It shows that the real troops, not the suits making political pronouncements and posturing for their electorate, have a perspective and a playful sense of humor about the whole issue. At one point the intimation that a man might be gay was cause for a punch in the nose (at least) -- and there are still plenty of places in the U.S. where that is the prevailing attitude (let's not talk global for a second, depending on where you're talking about it's obviously MUCH worse). Here we have a bunch of straight guys riffing on gay panic and laughing it off. Sweet and supportive and creative, that's my vote.
    p.s.
    and if they can start to move on from the "guess who's gay" game, then maybe we can too?

Posted by: JauntyJohn | May 12, 2010 3:59:40 PM

25. So... I love the video...

But I'm totally failing to see where it gets deep into the political debate. I don't see the expressed or implied statement that they'd be cool with gays in the military. It just looks like a bunch of guys having fun with stereotypes, and kudos to them for being comfortable with same... but it still doesn't help our cause.

Posted by: TommyOC | May 12, 2010 4:20:38 PM