Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Ke$ha | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Straight Soldiers Show Their Support for Gays in the Military by Dancing to Ke$ha

Tank1

Popped collars, go-go dancing atop heavy equipment, nudity, lip-dubbing in the showers. These are all things to be extremely concerned about if gays are allowed to serve openly in the military!

Though it appears the straight guys have beat them to it.

Writes the video's creator:

"Created by Codey Wilson and his elite step team of volunteers. Don't give us a hard time for this, please? We're just a few good men trying to enjoy ourselves and get this deployment over with. No one is gay... that we know of. Not that there is anything wrong with that! (political correctness) As a young aspiring film maker I was forced to release this early due to our friend in Afghans high school lip sinked music video. You know you love it. Enjoy it. Spread it. Live it. Lastly, ignore the copy cats that will soon follow and keep your taste for original creativity. Much love from the east!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Tank2

(via gawker)

Comments

1. TOMMYOC, its not making a statement. Gays are reading into it what they want to, but the creator has specified that the video is neither supportive or critical of DADT.

Pretty useless. Kinda sad that they wouldn't just outright show support for their gay service members, but then maybe they're afraid to actually make any kind of substantive statement.

Posted by: Wes | May 12, 2010 4:32:08 PM

2. Gawker has been updated with a clarification from the video's creator:

"Hey, I never said it was ok to be gay. I also never said it wasn't ok. I understand you have a web site to run and this could be a real controversial topic by saying that "codey says It's ok," but please don't bring this negativity towards me. I never said it was ok. The beginning of the video is a guy reading the paper in shock that is has finally happened, then the dancing which is an exaggerated view and joke of it. I do understand your job but please please don't make me look bad. I know this is pathetic but you have no idea what will happen to me by claiming that I support that. Thank you for considering this. Thank you also for considering the video on your home page. The title is wrong, but I appreciate the publicity. Thanks."

Posted by: Wes | May 12, 2010 4:43:52 PM

3. So the guy who made it almost certainly supports gays in the military and thinks it's absurd for there to be such hue and cry about it ("I know this is pathetic"). But he has to muzzle himself because of the shit it might attract from his superiors and peers ("you have no idea what will happen to me"). As always, there's no freedom of speech in the military. Sad.

Though I don't understand how anyone with half a brain wouldn't realize how quickly this kind of thing would spin through the Web.

Posted by: Paul R | May 12, 2010 4:50:40 PM

4. Paul R: Agree completely. Most young people today could care less about being gay. It is a non-event; and for that matter, it is a non-event with most people. The majority of folks making an issue really don't care either. They are just using it as a fund raising event. And the politicians are just pandering for votes. Most people really don't care, so why not say you are against and pick up a few extra wingnut votes.

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2010 4:58:42 PM

5. sorry, but that video is really lame. i suspect the only reason you featured it were the shirtless men. and that's even more lame–like no legs, panhandling on the sidewalk lame.

Posted by: EmpressIsIn | May 12, 2010 5:26:53 PM

6. I don't think this is the political statement people would like it to be. It's just gay jokes in military uniforms.

Posted by: Mark | May 12, 2010 5:27:50 PM

7. Maybe I missed something, but how does this video show them to be in support of repealing DADT? It seems to me that this video actually perpetuates the stereotypes put forth by the Republicans as to why gays should not be able to serve openly in the military. Especially with last comment about the need to "take a shower" after the video...I think it's awful. Why don't we dance in black face to show our support for integrated military.

Posted by: jcflondon | May 12, 2010 5:34:15 PM

8. HAHA Well, at least one gay guy made an appearance at 2.07 - I've never seen a str8 guy do that.

Posted by: Fred | May 12, 2010 5:55:00 PM

9. Loved it!

Posted by: daws | May 12, 2010 6:14:09 PM

10. I'm gay, and I support these Queens in the Military.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 12, 2010 6:35:40 PM

11. I think this video very creative and funny to some extent.  However if you really look at it is merely lampooning gays with ignorant stereotypes and commonly held beliefs about them. Mentiong DADT at the beginning is just giving it a thinly-veiled level of legitimacy.

The only thing I see here is ignorance about gay people. What if white soliders had made a video in blackface with all kinds of racist stereotypes back in the day when the desegregation of troops was an issue?

This video is certainly funny and clever, but I don't agree that this video is making a statement--and see it as the soldiers laughing more AT us than with us.

Posted by: Mark | May 12, 2010 7:04:30 PM

12. I want the hot mustached guy in the shower! Where can I find him naked on the net?

Posted by: Jimbo | May 12, 2010 7:04:36 PM

13. Yeah, I don't know. Their hearts may have been in the right place when they made this video, but I have strong doubts that it will do any favors for our community or help the cause for equality, in and out of the military. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, I swear. Sorry.

Posted by: Jack | May 12, 2010 7:20:55 PM

14. I think most gay soldiers would be offended by this portrayal--or the belief that if they were able to openly serve they'd suddenly be leering at other men at the urinal, go-go dancing on tanks, or sticking their asses out and prancing around like strippers. We want equal respect and recognition, not "we accept you even though you are a f-ggot".

Posted by: Mark | May 12, 2010 7:52:47 PM

15. Am I missing something? How does this show support for gays/bisexuals? It's just a series of cliches.....essentially they aren't laughing with, but laughing at, gays/bisexuals.

BTW: I'm a vet, am not into musicals, Madonna, Lady Gaga, antiques, shop till you drop,don't have a lisp/am not 'soft' spoken, etc., And I've always done my best to not be a walking stereotype (the best way I know how to help the gay/bi cause), which isn't hard or an act on my part, because I'm not. None of this means I hate or disrespect more feminine or so-called metrosexual males.

Posted by: John in Boston | May 12, 2010 9:17:28 PM

16. didnt Gaga fans beat them to this??????
    <3BH

Posted by: Brandon Hilton | May 12, 2010 10:10:41 PM

17. I meant to say Gaga ARMY fans!

Its also not a 'hot topic' to make fun of gay rights and equality! JUST SAYING.

you like your rights dont you? so do gays, we'd just like to HAVE SOME!
    <3BH

Posted by: Brandon Hilton | May 12, 2010 10:12:08 PM

18. I dont understand why people see a video of shirtless guys dancing and grinding each other and think "OH WOW! They must definitely support my sexuality and equality!" This is nothing more than another video of bored troops goofing around. Its pretty cliche by now considering every top 10 dance song that comes out gets at least one these. And they are definitely not gay since they always think that PT is a great substitute for choreography.

Posted by: Toto | May 12, 2010 10:51:43 PM

19. can you seriously update this post? Their video description reads: "I am NOT saying it IS ok to be gay in the military. I am not saying it's NOT OK." - - They're just making fun of brave men and women who want to serve our country openly. Distasteful. What a waste.

Posted by: KFLO | May 12, 2010 11:00:03 PM

20. The gay humor didn't bother me too much (son of an army man here)--it's almost weirdly progressive, for the military. I find it interesting that 98% of the video avoided traditional gay stereotypes of hairdressers, effeminacy, etc. that you'd think military folks would be emphasizing--nope, these guys were built, tough, and could shake their moneymakers. And if they were a little randy, it was portrayed almost playfully instead of "Oh no, the gays are going to get me!" (Notice in the shower it wasn't a gay guy cruising an uncomfortable straight guy, but two smiling guys cruising each other.) And yes, I think if you asked among this platoon, there's probably at least a couple closeted soldiers, and they can shoot just as straight as anyone else can.

Posted by: Dback | May 12, 2010 11:25:03 PM

21. I fail to see any underlying statement in that video, and that description they added proves that. Not funny.

Posted by: David | May 13, 2010 4:23:57 AM

22. have to say - not ONE of the dancers appeared to be gay - gays can dance so much better

Posted by: mtr0802 | May 13, 2010 6:49:33 AM

23. someone has to be gay in there, because they got that whole "bath house" element down...with the dark rooms and the strobe lighting...it reminded me of the basement of the Unicorn in Chelsea.

Posted by: amknyc | May 13, 2010 9:52:19 AM

24. the vid is completely offensive. while gay men and women are seeking respect in the military, these monkeys are adding fuel to the fire of the idiotic notion that gay people will diminish our armed forces to silliness and debauchery.

Posted by: nic | May 13, 2010 10:49:53 PM

25. I was just at a military base in North Carolina. My niece's husband had his buddies in his brigade over for a BBQ. Later in the evening, he told them he was coming with me to a gay bar to go dancing. NONE OF THEM cared.

The next day I went with him to the military gym with some of those guys.

The were really cool.

These are the guys that are going to change the world, especially the military, for the better.

Posted by: FunMe | May 14, 2010 11:45:39 AM