Charles Djou | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Hawaii Rep. Charles Djou Voted 'Yes' on DADT Repeal Because Soldiers Fake They Are Gay to Steal Re-enlistment Bonuses

Djou

Wonk Room reports on Rep. Charles Djou's (R-HI) "yes" vote on repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Djou offers a reason that has nothing to do with unit cohesion or military readiness:

"On that particular issue, it comes from personal experience. I have served for nearly 10 years now in the United States Army Reserve. What concerned me about the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy is that it just simply doesn’t work. And I saw too many instances as an army reservist, soldiers would sign up for a re-enlistment bonus. Get this gigantic sum from the American taxpayer. And then as soon as the unit gets called up to mobilize to Iraq and Afghanistan, they suddenly claim they are gay, with no prior indication of that whatsoever. Get the discharge and keep the bonus. That’s wrong, that’s unfair and that’s why this policy should be changed."

Djou was one of five Republicans to vote in favor of repeal.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. this is the caliber of person we have in congress. this is the reason we fail as a nation.

when did we start electing fools? 50 years ago? longer? I'm sure if we study this we can find a direct correlation between our downfall and the election of idiots to our government.

Posted by: wtf | Jun 2, 2010 9:59:15 AM

2. Well, you know, it's not the best reason to vote against DADT, but if he's right, it's a perfectly good reason ... the government should not have ANY occasion to have to inquire into a serviceperson's sexual orientation and we shouldn't have systems in place which invite people to cheat us of our tax dollars. And if he's wrong and just needs a good cover story for his vote, this sounds like a good one to me.

Posted by: Buster | Jun 2, 2010 10:05:13 AM

3. so basically he did not vote for the repeal because it discriminates..he ONLY voted for it - because people were saying they were gay,and taking sign-on bonuses...? ahhh I c....this guys an ass, I told him as much in a note I sent to his ofc....told him I didn't think "squinty eyed" people should hold public ofc/ cause we can't trust them since WW2...of course I was using sarcazm in that statement...since he has a "used to be" minority has NO Problem discriminating against LGBT americans.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 2, 2010 10:09:02 AM

4. Straight soldiers faking the gay so they can get out of military commitments is a myth. In my 12 years in the Army, I never saw this happen.

Posted by: sam | Jun 2, 2010 10:11:43 AM

5. He is so full of shit.

If, during the time he served in the military, the ENTIRE military discharged less than 700 servicemembers per year then how can he possibly have "personal experience" with "too many instances" that "[HE] saw"?

He's a disgusting liar and Log Cabin Republicans are disgusting for endorsing this man with a 100% perfect record of anti-gay positions.

Did HRC endorse him too? He seems like their kind of man too.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 2, 2010 10:15:20 AM

6. This soul-less mouthpiece clone is only there due to the idiocy of his two Democratic opponents...whose ambitions wrecked the election...pitiful on all sides!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Jun 2, 2010 10:22:14 AM

7. Interesting line of reasoning. Does the end justify the fucktardedness?

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 2, 2010 10:27:05 AM

8. look, he is an idiot. BUT, this is a vote for repeal. I'll take it.

Posted by: lessthan | Jun 2, 2010 10:28:31 AM

9. Ok... so who is fucking this guy? one... two... three... any day now...

Posted by: Dave | Jun 2, 2010 10:30:00 AM

10. He's correct. I mean, yeah its not the best of reasons, but its true. People use these loopholes just to get out ofdeploying. Same thing with pregnancy; not all, but some females will purposefully get pregnant to exempt themselves from a tour. I have seen both instances firsthand; the unit is then undermanned, which causes a certain degree of stress for those soldiers trying to fill the void ontop of combat stress. You may not find what he says admirable, but don't get it twisted. Slimy people do use this law as an advantage to cash out on taxpayer money and dupe the service, undermining our readiness. And I again say this as a soldier currently serving.

Posted by: davii | Jun 2, 2010 10:30:14 AM

11. I can only imagine this was a Spam-induced fantasy and that these gigantic sums were delivered by fairies in pink tutus, but thanks for the vote, Rep. DJou! You can now return to planet Earth.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 2, 2010 10:34:11 AM

12. This is just like the Underpants Gnomes!!!!
    1. Steal underpants / Re-enlist
    2. ??? / Say you're gay
    3. PROFIT!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rebel | Jun 2, 2010 10:36:29 AM

13. Um...whatever works. A yes is a yes.

Posted by: Willie | Jun 2, 2010 10:44:15 AM

14. WTF,

Here is a quote from Mark Twain in the late 1800's regarding his level of respect for Congress. "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

Idiots in Congress is not a new phenomenon.

Posted by: Alex Barnes | Jun 2, 2010 10:49:25 AM

15. Hey, if that's the story he wants to use, let him. We still get his vote. I'd rather someone weasel for us than weasel against us.

Posted by: Dusty | Jun 2, 2010 10:55:52 AM

16. The Secretary and the Chief of the Army sent a message to troops over the weekend assuring them this "is not a done deal."

So, remember repealing DADT is not necessarily the same thing as ending discharges, and it won't be unless we consistently, and loudly, make clear that's what we expect.

The only CERTAIN thing from this is that it is craftily timed so that we won't have any idea of whether discharges...or even just some discharges...will ACTUALLY end SOMEDAY until after midterms.

So the Dems have bought themselves some time

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Jun 2, 2010 11:10:10 AM

17. I have no knowledge of this guy at all... but citing one reason for repeal doesn't mean he does or doesn't support other reasons for repeal. I think if he were virulently homophobic, he would have cast a different vote. He's probably on our side.

Posted by: james | Jun 2, 2010 11:16:12 AM

18. Charles Djou is an idiot and a LIAR. What a sorry wretch.

Posted by: hephaestion | Jun 2, 2010 11:22:09 AM

19. JAMES, you obviously didn't take the time to do the slightest bit of research into this man's political career. If you had you wouldn't have made such an uninformed and inaccurate statement.

He ISN'T on our side on ANY issue; including DADT. His reason for voting against DADT was even homophobic, casting gay people as selfish, scheming, manipulative lowlifes who defraud the government and hurt the military for their own selfish gain.

His vote was to keep "the gays" from getting any of those "special rights" that anti-gays make up and then talk endlessly about.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 2, 2010 11:33:09 AM

20. umm.... wow. seriously? This is just WEIRD.

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 2, 2010 11:48:44 AM

21. I could see that happening, but I wouldn't say it's some mass epidemic. At least not nearly used as often as a woman choosing to get pregnant to get out of the service.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jun 2, 2010 12:11:23 PM

22. This guy is an idiot. What he has managed to fail to realize despite his military experience is that ANYONE for any reason could receive a bill in the mail from the government if they have not completed a specified term of service after earning a bonus....not just the big bad gays trying to scam the taxpayer.

Even I owed the military a few bucks after I was discharged from honorable service including service in Iraq. Talk about a farewell gift.

Posted by: Jake Orlando | Jun 2, 2010 12:33:26 PM

23. Interesting. I guess one could say that straight guys have come a long way, baby. In the 1960s, in order to get out of serving in the military (the draft was in effect then), hundreds of straight boys claimed they were gay so they could get out of serving their country (to save their cowardly asses, I guess). Now, they do it to bilk the U.S. taxpayer. While the guy's reasoning is a bit suspect, I'm glad he voted for repeal. He's a republicon so he's gotta answer to the baggers and all. This will give him good cover.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 2, 2010 12:39:56 PM

24. Seriously, I think some politicians get all their education on this issue from M*A*S*H reruns.

Posted by: Thomasina | Jun 2, 2010 1:21:52 PM

25. While Djou was running here in the special election he touted his "moderate" position against DADT but never gave that particular explanation. Interesting that it is only AFTER the election that he talks about it. And that interview is getting NO play here in Hawaii.

For the record, the idiots at Log Cabin and GOP Proud both endorsed him (HRC did not)...even though both organizations know that he is against ENDA, for DOMA and has been loudly and publicly proclaiming his "faith" and his opposition to the recently passed Civil Unions bill here (still awaiting the Republican Governor's decision). He was featured prominently at the large anti-Civil Union rally at our Capitol.

Fine, we got his vote on DADT (though we didn't need it), but make no mistake about this guy, he is NOT an ally of the GLBT community.

Posted by: HawaiiBill | Jun 2, 2010 1:47:46 PM