Eminem | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Eminem Comes Out in Support of Gay Marriage

Eminem

In a recent interview with Deborah Solomon in the NYT, rapper Eminem states his support for gay marriage:

NYT: You’ve been accused of writing gay-bashing lyrics in the past. Would you like to see gay marriage approved in Michigan, where you live?

EMINEM: I think if two people love each other, then what the hell? I think that everyone should have the chance to be equally miserable, if they want.

NYT: Is this the new, 37-year-old tolerant you?

EMINEM: It’s the new tolerant me!

Comments

1. Actually, David T, he didn't change his mind or decide he was wrong in demonizing gays. You must have just made that up or something.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2010 10:58:54 AM

2. I agree that perhaps the title of this post is a little strong to suggest that he supports marriage equality but then again, I'll take anything other than those "marriage should be between a man and a woman because the bible says so" bs answer that you hear ever so often.

I think it is his way of showing support and tolerance with his 'bad-boy, hard-core, bad-ass rapper' image intact. But I do hope that he stops using the the word 'faggot' in his lyrics though.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jun 17, 2010 10:59:32 AM

3. Did he get plastic surgery? Why does this photo look like FTM? Very strange.

Posted by: Tonic | Jun 17, 2010 11:08:02 AM

4. Well Whoop-de-do!

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 17, 2010 11:09:31 AM

5. I'll be impressed when he marries 50 Cent

Posted by: Chris in Sarasota | Jun 17, 2010 11:23:56 AM

6. I think he looks like a sexy lesbian in this pic. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Pierre | Jun 17, 2010 11:32:33 AM

7. he stated he didnt know Elton John was gay in the past NOT when he was performing with him. that was arguably the whole point of the performance

Posted by: JP | Jun 17, 2010 12:51:11 PM

8. The article was tagged "Eminem NOW for Gay Marriage?"

Was he EVER against it? He never once said in an interview earlier in his career as wanting homosexuals denied equal rights in this country. I think the media just loves to paint Eminem, and hip hop artists in general, as these negative archetypes which is disingenuous.

Posted by: TMNox | Jun 17, 2010 12:51:25 PM

9. TMNOX, don't blame the media. Hip hop artists like "hate fags? answers yes" Eminem and 50 "ain't into faggots" cent do it to themselves. Incredible that people would act surprised such an impression could be drawn on its own.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2010 1:11:35 PM

10. Actually, this is a pretty brave- and comparatively progressive- statement for an elder member of the rap community to make.

One of indifference, of course.

P.S. I think he's still hunkalicious at 37.

Posted by: Rodney | Jun 17, 2010 1:13:50 PM

11. Wishing gay people to be miserable is "tolerant" now? Great.

Well then I'll very VERY tolerant and say "I hope he's miserable for his whole life...every day... I hope he's so miserable that he just decides life isn't worth living."

Or... something.

Posted by: jasun mark | Jun 17, 2010 3:30:26 PM

12. @TMNOX--yeah, right, the homophobia in rap is just a figment of our imagination. Whatever. It was using gay slurs from day one, going all the way back to Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight." Only now, 30 years later, is the H8 barely starting to thaw.

Posted by: DH | Jun 17, 2010 4:01:33 PM

13. Sometimes I dint get you "us" fags!!! You act like the whole world should be kissing our ass! Say thank you for not giving a
    shit whAt we are! Stop crying like "oh my gosh he doesn't really love us". I don't love half of us! Drug addict barebacking whores! That's reality!
    Be glad a "rapper" is ok and doesn't care what we do! It's the little things in life that matter. Do u expect him to shake your hand and say he is sorry? Pathetic! I say faggot proudly! So tell this mother fuckers something they don't know about me!

Posted by: AzGayEminemFan | Jun 17, 2010 4:27:54 PM

14. AzGayEminemFan, you go ahead and say "thank you" for absolutely no reason. But don't get pissed if others aren't exactly lining up behind you to flaunt how pathetic and self-loathing we are.

I don't love probably more than half of us, as you have conveniently reminded me. But if its righteousness I sense when you suggest "drug addict barebacking whores" is our "reality" (which I actually wouldn't disagree with for some people), I propose you consider applying the same standard to your trashy gutter heroes and their emotionally retarded culture of drugs sex and violence as well. If for nothing else, consistency at least.

straight edge condom loving faggots for eminem! lol

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2010 5:33:47 PM

15. Better late than never.

Especially with some bite... LGBTQ people need marriage the way adolescents need abstinence.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Jun 17, 2010 7:43:23 PM

16. I always thought this homophobe was ugly but wow, in this pic is is fugly!

Posted by: Harry | Jun 17, 2010 8:29:48 PM

17. Amen Wes, took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted by: Jesus | Jun 17, 2010 8:36:52 PM

18. Gosh, he looks like an androgynous lesbian!!!

Posted by: nikko | Jun 17, 2010 10:19:42 PM

19. hmmi wanna be wary of these comments but i have a weird faith that he has changed...u have to admit he has allot of young dudes looking up to him,in a heavy macho music sector its nice to see him stand up for what is fair.....dont frigin disappoint me

Posted by: sal | Jun 17, 2010 10:40:56 PM

20. um.... he NEVER said anything about gay marriage or he supports it he says "everyone should have the chance to be equally miserable, if they want" ... where in that does Marshall Mathers aka Eminem say "I support homosexual marriages" he says everyone should have the chance to be miserable. lol.

Posted by: Ernest | Jun 17, 2010 11:21:05 PM

21. i would lick this dude's taint for hours... BTW, he's no homophobe.

Posted by: why? | Jun 18, 2010 1:32:34 AM

22. Support is support, no matter where it comes from. Save the vitriol for people who oppose us having the right to marry, like Darth Benedict and (insert any Republican senator here)

Posted by: wirrrn | Jun 18, 2010 3:34:26 AM

23. I'm sure this would be great news from a bit time celebrity, if only it was 1998.

Posted by: xsa | Jun 18, 2010 3:57:31 AM

24. I have been a fan of his forever and will continue to be.We all say faggot, queer, and other slang terms when refering to each other.Its like the black community and the N word. I got a ton of black friends str8 and gay and i say whats up niggah.So if this talented musician wants to say fag leave him be and let him make his living.Oh yea in the movie 8 mile his co-worker and friend was a gay man loosen your panties boys and relax.

Posted by: Jerald | Jun 19, 2010 12:27:13 AM

25. Eminem has posted Recovery on his myspace, FYI.

Posted by: Jedi | Jun 19, 2010 4:48:46 PM