Jesus Christ | News | Ohio

Massive 'Touchdown' Jesus Statue Destroyed by Lightning

Touchdown

An "iconic" massive statue of Jesus in Monroe, Ohio was struck down by God's wrath lightning last night, the Dayton Daily News reports:

Jesus "The statue was constructed of wood and styrofoam over a steel framework that was anchored in concrete and covered with a fiberglass mat and resin exterior, according to the church. It was slated to undergo renovations this summer. Gathered along Union Road were Franklin twins and storm chasers Levi and Seth Walsh, who said they were out in the thunderstorm when they heard about the fire through a Facebook update. 'It sent goosebumps through my whole body because I am a believer,' said Levi Walsh, 29. 'Of all the things that could have been struck, I just think that that would be protected. ... It’s something that’s not supposed to happen, Jesus burning,' he said. 'I had to see it with my own eyes.' 'I can’t believe Jesus was struck,' said his brother, who noted the giant Hustler Hollywood sign for the adult store across the street was untouched. 'It’s the last thing I expected to happen.'"

Sounds like somebody up there isn't so happy about how the Ohio Christians are behaving.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Can't imagine why a Jesus-shaped lightning rod covered in fiberglass, styrofoam and wood sitting in a lake could possibly burn to the ground. I'm glad no one's hurt and this eyesore is no longer on the drive home to my parents' house.

Posted by: UnemployedModel | Jun 15, 2010 7:28:18 AM

2. Call me a bitter, jaded queen, but, the comment about the "expensive" audio equipment in the "amputheatre" (or however he mispronounces amphitheater) makes me wonder if someone torched the statue for insurance money.

Posted by: Peter | Jun 15, 2010 7:30:52 AM

3. Christiantiy has become so hypocritical Jesus is striking down himself.

Posted by: kujhawker | Jun 15, 2010 7:45:49 AM

4. I like how these storm chasers are dumb founded that nature could do something like this! ... And yet they chase storms for a living? So when they watch twisters rip up homes they must be "believers" and know God did that to them for some reason. Interesting. What school taught them that?

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 15, 2010 7:53:24 AM

5. "Give me a sign that our faith is right and just, any sign... [CRACK!!! KA-POW!!!] Any sign, Dear Lord! Honest, we're waiting!"

Posted by: Rad | Jun 15, 2010 8:00:14 AM

6. these crazeee christains will probably now have some kind of picnic to "raise money" to have another one built....ahhh dear, the imaginary god wrks in mysterious ways.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 15, 2010 8:07:20 AM

7. Awesome comment RAD, I now have coffee all over my keyboard, thanks : )

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 15, 2010 8:09:37 AM

8. Every time some church in a war zone isn't hit, or a statue of Mary somehow makes it through some natural disaster event, people say God spared the religious article. I always just shake my head at the silliness. Going to save this article to send out the next time physics just does its thing.

Posted by: Andrew K | Jun 15, 2010 8:18:51 AM

9. Christians should simply learn to accept this as a giant "Fuck You!" from God.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 15, 2010 8:24:32 AM

10. If there is a God he should be mighty pissed. We have the brains to figure out that the oil we burn to run our society is destroying the earth’s ability to sustain life as we have it on this planet. We get warnings in the form of more violent and frequent storms with greater precipitation measurements each year, floods where before there were no floods. Each year is hotter than the last. The ice caps are fast becoming a memory. Ironically, the biggest believers in God ignore any of these “signs” and deny that it is even happening… Now we have a Exxon Valdez every other day… If there is a God he is just clearing his throat. I’m sure going to miss oxygen.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 15, 2010 8:50:12 AM

11. God's tryin to tell you somethin.

Posted by: Shane | Jun 15, 2010 9:11:45 AM

12. Insurance policy to follow, bet they will not consider it an act of God or else they don't get the $$$.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Jun 15, 2010 9:14:59 AM

13. Christians are the silliest people.

Posted by: Ronald McDonald | Jun 15, 2010 9:28:21 AM

14. I call shenanigans!

This statue is not that tall and there are extremely well electrically grounded high power line towers next to it.

It's a very insurance payout friendly lightning strike where the discharge happens on the face of Jesus.

Posted by: galore | Jun 15, 2010 9:30:44 AM

15. I'm not sure whether to snicker or belly-laugh.

Posted by: Garrett | Jun 15, 2010 9:31:23 AM

16. I suspect that the local fire brigade will be investigating this one very closely...

Posted by: arch | Jun 15, 2010 9:38:30 AM

17. God is self-insured

Posted by: chasmader | Jun 15, 2010 9:57:07 AM

18. Well, the Bible DOES say a little something about making graven images, doesn't it?

Posted by: Michael Cummings | Jun 15, 2010 9:58:16 AM

19. oh, puleeeeeze...

The only way it could have been better would be if it fell face-first into the water.

Posted by: stephen | Jun 15, 2010 10:09:27 AM

20. Jesus Spoke

Posted by: John Normile | Jun 15, 2010 10:19:51 AM

21. Don't mess with Thor.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jun 15, 2010 10:38:59 AM

22. It's clear. God hates anthropomorphic flammable lighting rods.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jun 15, 2010 10:39:39 AM

23. All I have to say is:

Posted by: Q | Jun 15, 2010 10:45:34 AM

24. The original looks like a man drowning.

Posted by: anon | Jun 15, 2010 10:47:46 AM

25. maybe god just could no longer handle teh ugly.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 15, 2010 10:54:44 AM