Gay Marriage | Mike Huckabee | Nancy Pelosi | News

Mike Huckabee's 'Ick Factor': Gay Marriage and Sex with Pelosi

In a profile in The New Yorker, Mike Huckabee talks about his opposition to same-sex marriage, citing the "ick factor" of gay sex:

Huckabee “I do believe that God created male and female and intended for marriage to be the relationship of the two opposite sexes. Male and female are biologically compatible to have a relationship. We can get into the ick factor, but the fact is two men in a relationship, two women in a relationship, biologically, that doesn’t work the same.”

You know, I could get into the "ick factor" of watching Huckabee screw his wife, but I'd still allow him to marry her.

Huckabee also jokes that his opinion about gay marriage would change if he were ever forced into a relationship with Nancy Pelosi or Helen Thomas:

"At times, he seems unable to resist the force of his own funniness. I joked with him once that I would write about his (fictitious) affair with Nancy Pelosi. He e-mailed back, 'The only thing worse than a torrid affair with sweet, sweet Nancy would be a torrid affair with Helen Thomas. If those were my only options, I'd probably be FOR same-sex marriage!'"

But, you know, Huckabee claims he accepts gays because they're just like him:

“I’ve had people who worked for me who are homosexuals. And I don’t walk around thinking, Oh, I pity them so much. I accept them as who they are! It’s not like somehow their sin is so much worse than mine.”

Still, he doesn't want to hear about studies that show children brought up by lesbians are better adjusted than their peers, or care if gay marriage might help society:

"Regardless of the past, wouldn’t Huckabee be curious to know whether allowing gay people to marry had a positive or negative effect on children and society? 'No, not really. Why would I be?' he said, and laughed. Because saying that something ought to be a certain way simply because that’s the way it supposedly has always been is an awful lot like saying 'because we said so.'"

(via the WaPo)

Comments

1. Huckabee is a disgusting hypocrite who should shut the fuck up. How many people have been murdered because of his pardons? Four police officers in Lakewood, Washington, were murdered because he pardoned the killer, notwithstanding clear evidence he would be putting a sociopath on the streets. Hell has a special corner reserved for Mike Huckabee.

Posted by: Will | Jun 21, 2010 10:34:34 AM

2. I find it absolutely hilarious that for someone who doesn't believe in evolution, he sure uses the word "biologically" a lot.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jun 21, 2010 10:35:39 AM

3. Perfectly demonstrating how homophobia and sexism go hand in hand.

Ummm PS have you seen Huckabee's wife? Nancy is about 3,000 times hotter.

Posted by: George | Jun 21, 2010 10:36:51 AM

4. Such a fool.

Posted by: bunker | Jun 21, 2010 10:42:25 AM

5. Go fuck yourself, Huck.

Posted by: DN | Jun 21, 2010 10:47:20 AM

6. TOUCHE Mr. Huckabee.

And while we're at it, let me point out...

If YOU were the only male option left in the world I would reconsider marrying a woman!

I might even reconsider my position against men marrying their dogs. It would still be a less disgusting option than marrying YOU.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 21, 2010 10:51:02 AM

7. The "ick" factor is one of two reasons for homophobia. The other reason is fear of being one. Which it is in Huckabee's case is for someone else to judge.

Interviews like that go a long way toward helping him solidify his base, which means his viewing audience. That's all he cares about. Everyone one else is just a stepping stone.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | Jun 21, 2010 10:53:39 AM

8. The best thing that Huckabee can do is throw himself in front of a moving bus. He want's to find his god, that's the fastest way...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Jun 21, 2010 10:56:11 AM

9. One of the biggest problems among opposite sex couples is that the men want sex more than the women do. This creates a "libido incompatibility" among opposite sex couples, which is less of a problem (in my limited experience) amoung gay/lesbian couples. So my new retort to the "biologically incompatible" argument is to note it is "unnatural" for people with incompatible libidos to be together. But like Andy, I, too, think it is OK for them to get married.

Posted by: DLB in ATL | Jun 21, 2010 10:57:43 AM

10. @huckabee “I do believe that God created male and female and intended for marriage to be the relationship of the two opposite sexes."

What you believe and what is supported by facts are two entirely different things.

For instance. your belief in creationism. Is it fact? Do you have something to back it up?

Your belief in God? Is it fact or is it just because you said so?

Where is the data to support your theory God created heterosexuals for the sole purpose of procreation? Did it ever occur to you that maybe homosexuals were created to for population control? Better yet, to help clean up the mess heterosexual behavior has made with unwanted children in this world. Maybe this is all "god's" plan.

Unfortunately, you are too short-sighted and immature to actually comprehend that possibility. I bet you still believe in the Tooth Fairy.

Posted by: Keith | Jun 21, 2010 11:03:15 AM

11. Hey Huckabee, Cheney called and wants to go Hunting with you...he needs an Ugly mug to shoot.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 21, 2010 11:16:02 AM

12. ..and seriously Huck...Im not into women at all..but IF I had to choose between Nancy Pelosi and your Heffer of a Wife..I'd pick Nancy anyday.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 21, 2010 11:17:13 AM

13. Indefensible beliefs, and he knows it. I find it pretty putrid he can be so light about that, when it's obvious he knows it. But while he is not going to champion gay equality under any circumstance, once society moves that direction, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd work very hard to hang on to the old, unjust way things once were.

Posted by: Andrew K | Jun 21, 2010 11:24:35 AM

14. Isn't gluttony a sin? His obese, dog lynching family is also an abomination to his imaginary friend in the sky.

Posted by: Miles | Jun 21, 2010 11:29:18 AM

15. Hey Disgusted, don't insult heifers. They're beautiful, useful creatures!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jun 21, 2010 11:33:21 AM

16. If he truely accepted gay people, he would not make comments like "It’s not like somehow their [gay people's] sin is so much worse than mine.”

If he made this sort of statement about any other minority, people would be outraged at the bigotry it exhibits.

Posted by: voet | Jun 21, 2010 11:44:54 AM

17. And my "ick factor" is the piggo Huckabee family. What a klan of whoppers, with one of his sons being a future serial killer - and he's fatter than John Wayne Gacy!

Posted by: Scott | Jun 21, 2010 11:47:47 AM

18. The most telling quote from that article:

“No, not really. Why would I be?” he said, and laughed."

What a stupid, hateful dick. Keep in mind that he's saying these things to the writer Ariel Levy, a lesbian.

If he talks this way in FRONT of a gay person, can you imagine exactly what he says behind our backs?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jun 21, 2010 12:05:43 PM

19. You know, the more I see of Huckabee, the more he reminds me of Jim Nabors.

Posted by: Hank | Jun 21, 2010 12:39:18 PM

20. The media only interviews him because he won in Iowa and is seen as competition for Palin. Both are trying to get as much media coverage as possible before 2012.

Posted by: anon | Jun 21, 2010 12:40:03 PM

21. @HANK, Please Hank, don't insult Jim Nabors. Jim is one of us.

Posted by: SONNIE | Jun 21, 2010 12:56:36 PM

22. Here's a few things good Christian Mike needs to think about. One: his disgustingly partisan not-funny joke about a fellow human being (Nancy Pelosi.) Funny, Mike? Christian? Neither.

Two: the "ick factor"? What are you Mr. Hukabee, in the third grade? Is this your level of intelligence? Seriously? Don't be embarrassed, Mike, I'm embarrassed for you.

Three: You clearly see other people in relationship to their (so-called) sins. Do you really think that's the playing field everyone jumps to when they discuss others? Their sins. This is some really sad, sad ingrained hardcore religious demogagary that says so much about the sad soul you are. What a horrible way to look at people and life.

Four: It is a sin in Leviticus to wear clothes blended from more than one fabric, and that hat you are wearing in the photo is clearly made of multiple blends of different fabrics. Do you know your Bible, Mr. Huckabee? Do you believe in it all the way? Did you know you were breaking God's law by putting on that hat? Just asking...

Posted by: Bart | Jun 21, 2010 12:59:58 PM

23. Gee, Hucko, you should have checked with me first. I mean, me and another guy works out just fine, ya know? The real "ick factor" is imagining you in the sheet-sack, doing the nasty with Mrs. Hucko. I mean, eeeeeewwwww, yuuuuucccckkkkk to the absolute MAX! Oh, by the way, Hucko, I had brunch with God yesterday, ya know, um, Father's Day, and He's pretty cool with same-sex love and marriage.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 21, 2010 1:18:16 PM

24. If I had to choose between marrying Huckster and Nancy Pelosi, I would go with the latter in a second. My sexual orientation notwithstanding, at least going to dinner with Pelosi isn't an exercise in "Dukes of Hazzard" level humiliation. And unlike Huckster, she doesn't have to sell snake oil to gullible religious types as a survival strategy.

Posted by: John | Jun 21, 2010 1:21:41 PM

25. Wow. If I were the editor of the newspaper I would have captioned that: A Moron Is A Moron Because?

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jun 21, 2010 1:38:55 PM