Al Gore | News | Oregon

BigGayDeal.com

Paper: Masseuse Claims Al Gore Groped Her, Police Dropped Case

Police dropped a 2006 investigation into a Portland masseuse's claims that former Vice President Al Gore groped her because it lacked evidence, according to a report in The Oregonian, though now some of the details of those allegations have come out. rather prosaically. Here's a bit:

Gore She tried to use an acupressure technique to relax Gore and thought she may have nearly put him to sleep. She went into the bathroom to wash up and came out to pack up. That's when, she says, Gore wrapped her in an "inescapable embrace" and fondled her back, buttocks and breasts as she was trying to break down her massage table.

She called him a "crazed sex poodle" and tried to distract him, pointing out a box of Moonstruck chocolates on a nearby table. He went for the chocolates and then offered her some, cornering her, fondling her and shoving his tongue in her mouth to french kiss as he pressed against her.

She said he tried to pull her camisole strap down.

She said she told him to stop it. "I was distressed, shocked and terrified."

She said she was intimidated by his physical size, calling him "rotund," described his "violent temper, dictatorial, commanding attitude" -- what she termed a contrast from his "Mr. Smiley global-warming concern persona."

Later, she said, he tried to lure her into the bedroom to hear pop star Pink's "Dear Mr. President" on his iPod dock. She said Gore sat on one end of the bed and motioned for her to join him.

Suddenly, she said, he "flipped me on my back, threw his whole body face down over a top me, pinning me down."

She said she loudly protested, "Get off me, you big lummox!"

The therapist later told detectives she did not call the police because she was afraid she wouldn't be believed. "I deeply feared being made into a public spectacle and my work reputation being destroyed," she said.

More at The Oregonian: "Wheat said police didn't investigate the woman's 2009 statement further because "they didn't feel there was any additional evidence that would change what they saw in 2006." That's also why the police didn't consult with the district attorney's office about the 2009 statement, she said. Wheat added that the woman received a lot of attention from police and a victim's advocate, who made sure she had counseling. In 2007 or 2008, then-Portland Tribune reporter Nick Budnick made a public records request and obtained the Portland police report, but the newspaper did not run a story."

Comments

1. Oh, this sounds just a bit suspicious, not least in the timing. Gimme a break.

Posted by: Hank | Jun 24, 2010 9:09:03 AM

2. Yeah this is fake, and that lady should be ashamed, there is way too much ambiguity in molestation and rape cases, she shouldn't add to it.

If she is right, Sorry!

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 24, 2010 9:12:17 AM

3. Sorry, but there is just sooo much about this story that just doesn't pass the smell test. I'm not surprised the police dropped it and didn't go to the DA. I'd look into the background of the masseuse. I just cannot imagine Al Gore having that much energy to begin with and to act like a "crazed sex poodle"? That's the best press Gore's had lately. If I were Gore, I'd put that description on a tee shirt with my picture and make a small fortune selling them on the internet.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 24, 2010 9:22:15 AM

4. What strikes me is the lapse in time and her logic that she did not want to be a public spectacle, if so why come out with this now?

Gore has many an enemy and this just sounds so out of character for him. If true very sad, if not it's an insult to true victims of rape.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jun 24, 2010 9:41:06 AM

5. Has anyone investigated this woman’s connections to rightwing organizations? Her accusation is full of rightwing tropes and tea bagger insults.

If it did happen Gore should be prosecuted. If it’s just a character smear then the woman needs to be outed for her attempt.

Posted by: Goober Peas | Jun 24, 2010 9:48:42 AM

6. I've said it before, politicians are ALL scum. I can totally see Gore doing this. I'm sure his infidelity is the reason for his divorce.

Posted by: Name: | Jun 24, 2010 9:49:58 AM

7. With terms like "Mr. Smiley global-warming concern persona" and the "Dear Mr. President" on his iPod dock this sounds a whole lot more like some asinine political attack by Bill O'Rielly than a legit claim of attempted rape.

Posted by: Toto | Jun 24, 2010 9:53:47 AM

8. I liked the detail about how she distracted him with a box of chocs...honestly sex attack victims do not usually think like that - except in comedy films.

Posted by: arch | Jun 24, 2010 9:55:06 AM

9. I bet there are even more incidents with other women that will be coming out.

Posted by: LOL | Jun 24, 2010 9:56:02 AM

10. Not to blame the "alleged" victim here, but she was groped in the massage room, but followed him to a bed in order to listen to a song on an I-pod?!!

Show of hands, please, who follows an "attacker" to a bed after an "alleged assault"???

Too bad for her- this is gossipy, but a "friend" of mine used the next urinal to Al's once, and said Al's got a BIG personality. Just sayin' : )

Posted by: stephen | Jun 24, 2010 9:57:26 AM

11. The good news is Woody Allen has his next script.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 24, 2010 10:09:48 AM

12. "The therapist said she injured her left leg and knee and sought medical care for several months. "
    ===
    This statement completely guts her credibility. Several months? Really?

Posted by: PMW | Jun 24, 2010 10:24:25 AM

13. Stephen, because he has a big dick, he's allowed to rape?

Posted by: Name: | Jun 24, 2010 10:30:57 AM

14. No, "Name," it's because he's a "crazed sex poodle," you "lummox."

Posted by: Anon | Jun 24, 2010 10:47:43 AM

15. She actually said "lummox"???

Posted by: Phil | Jun 24, 2010 11:04:22 AM

16. Quick, distract the rapist with a box of chocolates! Yeah, it works every time. Dumb sex poodles.

Posted by: niles | Jun 24, 2010 11:15:23 AM

17. I agree, there's a lot about this that sounds off, her using words like "dictatorial", "rotund", and then saying "Mr. Smiley global-warming concern persona" makes her sound too political--I don't think people talk like that after they've been molested. Plus, she was wearing a camisole? Most of the legit masseuses I've seen wear kind of surgical outfits or sweats.

Posted by: db | Jun 24, 2010 11:45:18 AM

18. Everyone knows Al Gore is too saintly and dweebish to ever have sex! It must be that nasty Tripper trying to drum up sympathy for her divorce! She must be working with Glenn Beck now!

Posted by: anon | Jun 24, 2010 11:56:36 AM

19. I don't know, have you had Moonstruck chocolates? The Mayan truffle is really good!

Seriously though, unless there are stained clothing items; this will likely turn out to a drawn out "he said, she said" and both sides will get all wound up insulting each other over the next few months with nothing ever resolved.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Jun 24, 2010 11:59:12 AM

20. Lunacy. Woman should be ashamed of herself ... she probably figured her political leanings were already paving the road to hell for her, so 'why not?'.

Posted by: Rodney | Jun 24, 2010 12:51:58 PM

21. This is a blatant attempt by the global warming denying right wing tool machine to discredit Al Gore. If they cannot win on substance they choose their favorite tactic, attempt to destroy a good man.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 24, 2010 12:59:33 PM

22. is it orly taitz?

Posted by: TANK | Jun 24, 2010 1:00:10 PM

23. The full article in the Oregonian mentioned that the woman had stained clothing items -- although you would think that back when she reported the incident, that might have counted as evidence enough to merit a bigger investigation. Unless the cops just didn't want to ask Gore for a potentially matching "sample."

Posted by: Mark in Portland | Jun 24, 2010 1:34:14 PM

24. I think it should be investigated, as any case involving a woman (or man, for that matter) claiming sexual assault should be. If, in fact, the clothing turns up something, then it was worth the time and effort. However, this is so completely un-Gore, it'd be a serious Jekyll-and-Hyde replay. Gore was horrified by Clinton's behavior during the Lewinsky scandal, and very vocal about his disgust and disillusionment with him (and, by extension, Hillary Clinton). It just doesn't jibe with his 30-40 years of public life and behavior.

The Right has always tried to tar Gore with one thing or another--"he said he invented the Internet." "He said he inspired 'Love Story.'" "He tried to steal the 2000 election." "He's a global warming hypocrite because of his big house." I'm trying hard to approach this story with an open mind, but considering the track record of mud and slime that has unfairly been hurled at this man in the past, I've got a lot of skepticism.

Posted by: Dback | Jun 24, 2010 4:47:16 PM

25. @DBack: Al Gore is my favorite person on the planet. So- given what you just said- I could very easily fall in love with you.

P.S. I too am keeping a mental checklist of every smear the right hurls at our should-have-been Mr. President.

Posted by: Rodney W. | Jun 24, 2010 6:00:37 PM