Aaron Schock | News | Republican Party

Rep. Aaron Schock 'Burned the Belt' That Made Him Look Gay

Schock

Over the weekend, Gawker posted a photo of Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL) at Tuesday's White House picnic that they said was "jamming up the gay staff listserve."

The photo quickly went viral.

More interesting than the photo, now, is Schock's reaction to the fact that people said it made him look gay.

Writes Schock in a Tweet: "Never thought a pic of me w/ my shirt on would go viral. Learned my lesson and burned the belt."

Schocktweet

Wow. Such a dramatic way to deal with one's shame.

Previously...
Congressman Aaron Schock Not Gay, Details Reconfirms... [tr]
CNN Turns the Focus to GOP Congressman Aaron Schock's Abs [tr]

Comments

1. I bet he thought the outfit was hot when he laid it out on his bed. There was definitely some thinking involved in that selection.
    Perfect for an Atlantis cruise, don't you think?

Posted by: excy | Jun 14, 2010 7:23:28 PM

2. The belt? Yeah...that's what made him look "gay"...the belt...so is he going to put a bag over his head next?

Posted by: TANK | Jun 14, 2010 7:32:30 PM

3. OMG! That is the GAYEST outfit I have EVER seen.

He looks like Dorothy Gale's queer as shit older brother.

I don't think that his tweet is all that objectionable actually.

(Presumably) straight guys still don't want to be thought of as looking "gay," which I think a lot of them interpret only to mean too fashionable or like they're trying too hard to look good. Metrosexuals have helped to defy that particular straight guy folkway, but we've got a long way to go in Peoria . . .

Posted by: Hermes in DC | Jun 14, 2010 7:32:30 PM

4. @Roland... supposed classmates who attended college with him have said that he was gay in college as far as they knew.

Posted by: Tim | Jun 14, 2010 7:42:19 PM

5. Who would dress that way for a White House event? Seriously. It looks like he's going to a BBQ in Fire Island or Provincetown. He's from Illinois, not some trendy hotbed, and he's at a White House event.

You couldn't get me or any of my 4 straight brothers (all of them gay friendly) into that outfit unless you paid us really well and no one had a camera.

Let me just point out again: it's a robin egg's blue belt. Possibly teal. I'm not even sure, but I bet he knows the exact shade.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 14, 2010 7:45:57 PM

6. Did he really burn the belt...or was he just being sarcastic? I read it as sarcastic... I've seem worse on the golf course.

Is he gay or bi?
    Maybe he just hasn't met the right guy yet.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jun 14, 2010 7:50:20 PM

7. its a nice belt Aaron...why can't straights wear color???

Posted by: alan brickman | Jun 14, 2010 7:50:37 PM

8. coulda just donated it.
    sensitive much?

Posted by: Tom | Jun 14, 2010 7:54:09 PM

9. I see some toe-tapping in his future.

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 14, 2010 7:55:12 PM

10. I soo can't wait for the gay sex scandal that comes next. After all, he is republican and that seems to happen frequently these days. Hope the scandal comes with video tape too!

Posted by: Victor | Jun 14, 2010 8:02:12 PM

11. I recall seeing him on Stephen Colbert when he first got elected, he is so green you almost feel sorry for him. He's so deep in the closet he'd never find his way out.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jun 14, 2010 8:16:43 PM

12. he's obviously been paying attention to the gay media...

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 14, 2010 8:16:55 PM

13. Well its not too late to get a replacement, Aaron:

Posted by: Wyre | Jun 14, 2010 8:18:50 PM

14. Shakespeare said it best. "The lady doth protest too much, I think."

Posted by: Red Seven | Jun 14, 2010 8:22:23 PM

15. burn the belt all you want.. it's in your face. gay face

Posted by: Alex | Jun 14, 2010 8:34:25 PM

16. Did she really think she could mince about in such an outfit and not get attention?

Posted by: Tone | Jun 14, 2010 8:35:52 PM

17. Oh, Aaron. When America's gays find out you are--in fact--gay and closeted, and the fine bloggers like Andy Towle remind us all of your anti-gay voting record, you'll have much more to worry about than your belt. A lifetime of shame, perhaps?

Posted by: Chicago | Jun 14, 2010 8:47:03 PM

18. And when a nude photo goes viral, Aaron, what will you burn then?

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Jun 14, 2010 8:52:30 PM

19. Not really blue...or teal. Perhaps...cerulean?

Posted by: TCD | Jun 14, 2010 8:57:51 PM

20. Not only is the outfit gay, it's gay from 1985.

Who cares if he's gay, he's a major douchebag. With very, very bad taste in clothes.

Posted by: Bart | Jun 14, 2010 9:03:53 PM

21. I didn't know they were remaking "Jeffrey"

Posted by: taodon | Jun 14, 2010 9:09:21 PM

22. Schock says; "Never thought a pic of me w/ my shirt on would go viral."

Hmmm??? Does that mean he thinks a pic of him with his shirt OFF would be so popular??? Okay, he's kinda cute, in a rural-prep sort of way. And he probably has a nice body. But GAYDAR alarms are going off all over the place. And a huge pile of burning belts wouldn't create a smoke screen big enough to disguise his true nature. AND.... if that's his mom..... well she just SCREAMS drag queen. Can't you just picture him toddling around the house in her heels??? Maybe even last week!!

Posted by: Jay Croce | Jun 14, 2010 9:14:12 PM

23. WAAAH THIS MAKES ME LOOK GAY.

Ugh, burning that belt is such a sin. He looks damn hot.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 14, 2010 9:20:50 PM

24. @ NeverStops: "Went to the Strawberry Shortcake Hoedown." LMFAO!!!

Posted by: Piper | Jun 14, 2010 9:24:16 PM

25. Oh, Aaron, without the blue belt it loses the whole Elly May Clampett meets Roy Rogers patriotic vibe you were rocking so well. You're going to miss that belt, you know you are. Next time, take some of Julia Child's advice on cooking, which is equally apt for fashion: Learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 14, 2010 9:33:56 PM