Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Ike Skelton | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

Rep. Ike Skelton: Repealing 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Would Harm Children Because Then They'd Know About Gays

Skelton

Rep. Ike Skelton (D-MO), the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, says repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" would put families "in a difficult position" because then children would be asking about homosexuality:

Said Skelton: "What do mommies and daddies say to their 7-year-old child?"

Skelton said yesterday that he would continue to oppose it (he was one of 26 Democrats who opposed repeal in the House) even though his constituents don't care:

Comments

1. 7 year-olds don't watch Ellen? Never heard of "Glee"? Unfamiliar with Neil Patrick Harris?

I do hope the cave Rep. Skelton is living in has central heating.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 9, 2010 10:43:11 AM

2. That corpse's name is Ike Skeleton? LOL The jokes practically tell themselves.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2010 10:44:28 AM

3. OK, this man needs to go.

Posted by: Bob | Jun 9, 2010 10:44:58 AM

4. What about liver spots? Is it okay to talk to children about liver spots?

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 9, 2010 10:45:42 AM

5. hmmm my 7 yr old niece doesn't seem to have a problem with her 2 uncles. She understands that some boys like boys and some girls like girls and thats normal, just like girls liking boys and vice versa. Maybe I should have her call this douche up.

Posted by: Amaezm | Jun 9, 2010 10:48:54 AM

6. Primary the bastard out of office as soon as he's up for reelection.

Posted by: Rich | Jun 9, 2010 10:51:07 AM

7. His "biggest concern are the families."

Right. Because gay people don't have families.

Posted by: ryan | Jun 9, 2010 10:55:50 AM

8. @Amaezm: That would be all sorts of hilarious if a bunch of 7-year-olds suddenly started calling this douche's office and explaining how simple it is.

Facebook campaign, anyone?

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2010 10:56:33 AM

9. “I was everywhere in my district, everywhere. It just wasn’t raised. There are other things on people’s minds, like jobs and the economy.”

Hey, Rep. Senility, isn't your own statement the point in this matter? Your constituents don't care who serves openly in the US military. They've got bigger, more important fish to fry with you DC politicians -- like how to make a living, afford family health care coverage and their children's education, etc.

It's time to get your bigoted head out of the 60s and into the 21st Century, ol' fella. Seems you need to retire next election.

Posted by: Rob | Jun 9, 2010 10:59:23 AM

10. Ya know, I'd be laughing hysterically over this if the subject wasn't basic human and civil rights...

Still, I have about half a dozen snarky comments to Mr Skelton and his ilk just screaming to get out.

I taught my nephew about he birds and the bees when he started asking his mom -who puritanically refused and threw it on my lap, saying, "Your the one with the degree".

He was six.

My brother wasn't happy with the answer I gave him to part 2 of that talk either. Fuck him, I wasn't asking his 'homophobic highness' for his opinion. Because I knew what was coming and I'd be damned if I'd see my nephew screwed up.

1st talk-basic birds and bees about how he got to be in this world.

Not two weeks later:

Part 2 -why my asshole uncle keeps saying I'm going to be a *faggot* when I get older if I don't stop playing with my 'glow-worm'.

Did it harm him in any way shape or form?
    Nope.
    He's 30 now, leads with his larger head, is responsible, will help someone in need, serves his country,treats others with respect and dignity... and loves his auntie -hey, had to add that. He's single-handedly broke the cursed mold that damn near most have been hatched out of in this family when it comes to men.

Am I proud of that boy? Damn friggin' straight I am.

Posted by: aleabeth | Jun 9, 2010 11:13:55 AM

11. What? Are we back to the “Won’t someone think of the children?!” bullshit. Really, dude, get some new material...

Posted by: ichabod | Jun 9, 2010 11:15:47 AM

12. this man should follow the yellow brick roar in search of a brain or if not a brain with that sunken lower jaw a good pair of teeth.he just goes to prove the repuks have no hold on assholes. the dems have them too.

Posted by: walter | Jun 9, 2010 11:16:51 AM

13. At five years old my neighbors daughter asked her mom and dad about me and my partner. They just simply told her that we just loved eachother and wanted to be together like he mommy and daddy did. She just said, "oh, okay". And now at 10 she and her little sister are coming to show us things, telling us stories and see us no different as any other couple. It's a much bigger deal for adults than it is for kids to understand love.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 9, 2010 11:24:54 AM

14. CALL HIM AT 202-225-2876

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jun 9, 2010 11:30:53 AM

15. Here's what you say to a seven year old, sometimes boys like boys and sometimes girls like girls. End of story. Idiot.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 9, 2010 11:31:56 AM

16. Skelton says he and others have more important things, "like jobs" to worry about. Hey, asshat, this issue IS about jobs. More specifically, it is about job discrimination against gays in the military.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jun 9, 2010 12:09:06 PM

17. I don't Skeletor, I knew I was homosexual when I was 6, what the hell could my parents tell me that I didn't already know?

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jun 9, 2010 12:12:10 PM

18. SERIOUSLY? Remember when a whole generation of children learned about oral sex because the congress found it important enough to shut down the business of government to discuss it (and infidelity, and cum stains on dresses) for months on end? But now when it's gay rights (which in this case can be dealt with without much discussion, actually) it's think of the children? REALLY? STFU, congress, and just get this done.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jun 9, 2010 12:14:54 PM

19. But he can't have that position! He's a Democrat. And we gays all know that all Democrats are good and all Republicans are evil.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jun 9, 2010 12:16:33 PM

20. Stupid Republicans.

Posted by: anon | Jun 9, 2010 12:21:26 PM

21. Maybe Mommy and Daddy can tell their children, oh I don't know, the truth?

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 9, 2010 12:33:37 PM

22. I understood homosexuality better than this guy when I was seven years old even WITHOUT anyone ever having explained to me anything about it, because I was gay and I was forced to notice the heterosexism that existed in the world. When I was 9, I asked my mom what "homosexual" meant, and she told me. There's need not be anything more "confusing" about it for a kid than learning things like dolphins are mammals or that oceans are larger than lakes.
    My niece asked what "gay" meant when she was about six and her parents said that most women fall in love with men but some women fall in love with women and some men fall in love with men, and if someone only falls in love with someone of the same sex then they are gay. She understood instantly and gave the example of her uncles who love each other and he said, "that's exactly right."
    People like this man probably grew up thinking things like gays are that way because they ate too much fried chicken, Jews have tails, the moon is made of cheese and women can't get pregnant if they do it upside down. People like him can't identify with the concept of NOT spending one's childhood as an idiot, and the ignorance they started with seeps into their adulthood.

Posted by: GregV | Jun 9, 2010 12:39:12 PM

23. Is he Red's long-lost unfunny brother?

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jun 9, 2010 12:48:05 PM

24. 'Mommy, Daddy, why isn't that skeleton buried like Grandma and Grandpa?'

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jun 9, 2010 1:12:08 PM

25. Wow. Here's the deal, Ike. Taking on the responsibility of being parent means having to explain things to them. If you don't want to put parents in the position of having to explain how the world works, encourage them to use better birth control methods.

Fucking idiot.