Maps | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Tourists vs. Locals in NYC

Tourists

Here's an interesting graphic for you map and data lovers, based on geotagging Flickr data:

"Blue points on the map are pictures taken by locals (people who have taken pictures in this city dated over a range of a month or more). Red points are pictures taken by tourists (people who seem to be a local of a different city and who took pictures in this city for less than a month). Yellow points are pictures where it can't be determined whether or not the photographer was a tourist (because they haven't taken pictures anywhere for over a month). They are probably tourists but might just not post many pictures at all."

There's a whole set of them for various cities.

In related news, flashmob group Improv Everywhere recently busted out NYC sidewalk lanes for locals and tourists, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Don't tell me that I have to add my camera to the list of other possessions like my car and my tv and my computer that are spying on me...oh well, pass the tinfoil.

Posted by: gaylib | Jun 9, 2010 11:31:25 AM

2. Yup, that's Soho all right. Damn Hollister models have just exacerbated the Houston/Broadway mess with their hotness.

Posted by: Zack | Jun 9, 2010 11:42:09 AM

3. Let me preface this with a disclaimer. I am old school. Not very tech-savvy by any stretch of the imagination...

So pray-tell, how the hell do they know this?

*passes GAYLIB some tin foil*

Posted by: aleabeth | Jun 9, 2010 11:51:30 AM

4. No need to break out the tin foil... Here's an explanation of how he was able to get the data from geotagged images.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 9, 2010 12:18:04 PM

5. Well, on the one hand, how clever! On the other, do we really need computer servers and data crunching to determine that there are more tourists in Central Park than there are in Queens? Isn't this sort of a 21st century Rube Goldberg device?

Posted by: buster | Jun 9, 2010 2:26:40 PM

6. on Improv Everywhere: That's insulting. Not every tourist moves like a snail. In fact, when I'm visiting Manhattan, I'm often frustrated by fat tourists blocking the sidewalk while they eat their m&ms, study maps with no clue, and take pictures of every little thing. Argh!

Posted by: Rodney | Jun 9, 2010 4:55:44 PM

7. I have found the elitist anti-tourist attitude of New Yorkers vile now in four generations passing through that city .... actually I think all anti-tourist attitude is pathetic elitism

If you do not want to deal with tourists do not live in a city famous for them and it's sights

btw --- LOCAL NEW YORKERS are monied slime.

Posted by: Walter | Jun 10, 2010 12:51:04 PM