Chely Wright | GLAAD | Immigration | New York | News | Theatre | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #680

THE SIXTH SENSE: As reimagined by Iowa Rep. Steve King.

CHELY WRIGHT: Performs "Heavenly Days" at the SF GLAAD Awards with Rodney Crowell and Jeremy Lister.

TOO MUCH PRIDE MAKES THE BABY GO GAY: The New York Neo-Futurists are presenting 30 short plays in one hour on June 25 and 26 with proceeds to benefit advocacy and activism in Uganda. Here's the cute teaser for their show.

BATHHOUSE VIRGINS: YouTube's Davey Wavey and OurSceneTV's Matt Maggiacomo discuss their visit to a gay bathhouse.

For Previous Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. The NY NeoFuturists are great! They do an amazing Pride show every year and donate portion of ticket sales to an LGBT organization. Good cause plus really fun, funny, witty and interesting show = I'm there.

Posted by: darby | Jun 18, 2010 4:53:40 PM

2. If the "friends" who gave Maggiacomo the lowdown on the East Side Club and the West Side Club knew he and Davey were gonna flip a coin to choose their destination—and didn't say anything—they're not really friends at all.

Sorry, guys, but ever since the West Side Club opened, the East Side Club has been beyond tragic. Not an option.

Posted by: 24play | Jun 18, 2010 6:34:50 PM

3. Poor little hairless prudish east coast gays all gigglly about going to a *gasp!* bath house! squeeeeeee!
    BARF
    Man up boys

Posted by: redbearded | Jun 18, 2010 7:21:26 PM

4. Pretty boys but please stop talking...

Posted by: Beargrin | Jun 18, 2010 7:38:56 PM

5. Giggling in a sex space? Please!
    They should visit Montreal. Lots of bathhouses, some with mostly 20-somethings, most where you can get a locker for under $5 with no memberships.

Posted by: KevinVT | Jun 18, 2010 8:58:07 PM

6. These idiots couldn't be trusted with solid food...and I mean in the sense that they'd forget to chew, and choke to death.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 18, 2010 9:23:39 PM

7. Oh, and bathhouses perpetuate homosexual oppression. Never been, and never will go.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 18, 2010 9:24:12 PM

8. Even allowing for all kinds of people, all ranges of taste and levels of comfort, Davey and Matt *do* seem to have an awful lot of wide-eyed "oh my goodness!" and "tee hee!" going on for grown gay men in a bath house in New York in 2010... even on a first visit.

Posted by: JauntyJohn | Jun 18, 2010 9:39:15 PM

9. andy, i beg you. no davey wavey. he's one of the reasons i don't read queerty anymore.
    don't turn into queerty. pretty please.

Posted by: gomez | Jun 18, 2010 9:43:34 PM

10. if that screaming queen came anywhere near me on the street (forget the bathhouse), i would run. grow a testicle-your voice will thank you for it.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 18, 2010 11:05:36 PM

11. I came to comment to say the exact same thing as Gomez. Davey Wavey typifies why Queerty sucks (though it sucks for many reasons). Please don't start wasting space with him. Thanks.

Posted by: brian | Jun 19, 2010 1:24:56 AM

12. Why does Davey Wavey speak like that? I mean, by growing those muscles, one would think it would give him enough testosterone to deepen his voice and not sound like a girl. Fascinating.

Posted by: Allan | Jun 19, 2010 5:52:05 AM

13. Ugh, FFS someone slap those two obnoxious giggling queens. I can't believe I watched that whole damn thing. I mean how fucking stuck-up, judgmental and stuck on yourself can a person possibly get? I'm ASHAMED to be the same age as them. Worse is that all their comments are fawning "tee-hee omg they really have teh secks there?!" teen girls. Nauseating.

Posted by: Blake | Jun 19, 2010 7:25:31 AM

14. Davey Wavey is young, positive and likes having fun. Odds any of the above commenters share any of those qualities: pretty low.

Posted by: E | Jun 19, 2010 10:15:28 AM

15. I agree Queerty sucks for many reasons, but the underlying story these kids are telling about the generational split in the US regarding the aging of the bathhouse population, is real. Want to see someone naked? Go online. Free. Why should kids go to bathhouses when GRINDR is here? The landscape has changed. I like bathhouses, but I came of age in the 70s and most of the guys at the bathhouses in Chicago are older. Not always and not all the time, but the trend is clear.

Posted by: JH | Jun 19, 2010 10:37:10 AM

16. I'm with Gomez as well...this Davey twit is the epitome of why Queerty is now such a pointless online destination. Please don't give him any attention. Sort of pretty and stupid is not something to which we should be aspiring.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 19, 2010 11:56:23 AM

17. I've been at a sex club and seen twinky queens like these two running around the place practically holding hands, squealing, giggling and running away like a couple of ten-year old girls every time they see something sexual. So sad.

But these are the types who act like their freaked out with their friends and then are hooking up on Craigslist on the sly, so it's all good.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 19, 2010 1:14:13 PM

18. OMG! The Neos Pride show is fabulous! Whether it's mashing fruit together with their faces or waving their collective junk like a flag, I am always completely blown away and inspired. (And have been for the last three years!) Don't miss this one!

Posted by: MaxT | Jun 19, 2010 2:00:30 PM

19. I can count the number of times I've been to a bathhouse on one hand — in other words, too few to get beyond the initial nervousness; but I'd like to hope I never carried on in such a silly way as these two dolts. They give young and pretty (or, in the Magic Homo's case, borderline hottt) a bad name.

Posted by: SLK in SF | Jun 19, 2010 3:06:59 PM

20. Why so many hateful comments about the two guys? Could it be you have been rejected so many times by hot guys who look like them that you are just bitter? I think they are adorable.

Posted by: GOD | Jun 19, 2010 5:27:41 PM

21. There's a huge generational divide about bathhouses. I went to one about 15 years ago on a dare and left within 15 minutes because I found it repulsive and bizarre. But I've had quite a few men in their 50s sing their praises as safe places to meet men, especially in an unknown city where you don't know anything about bars and just want to get laid.

To younger guys, it's probably even grosser or just weird. I had a good idea what to expect because I had older friends, but I'd never go back.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 19, 2010 6:05:40 PM

22. Shirtless boys talking about potentially serious topics - what did you expect? The concept alone is a slap in the face to the content itself!

Posted by: Jeremy | Jun 19, 2010 6:39:37 PM

23. I'm around the same age as Davey and Matt. And wow, they need to grow up. Matt seems like a nice guy and more grown up than Davey. But Davey, my god. He's very teenage girl. Please don't post his silly videos on here anymore. They aren't entertaining.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 19, 2010 9:47:42 PM

24. To E & GOD: Davy maybe young, but he is not adorable or fun in any way at least IMHO.

I am from South America, and the first time I stumbled upon Towleroad I thought many of the posts and certainly many of the people who commented were like Davey, that is sanitized neo-gay america-centric (what, Rio is not the capital of Argentina?) stereotypes.

Fortunately I found out with time that was not the case, and even better after watching most of you guys responses to the video, I feel like I am reading the right webpage.

And I think I've read queerty once or twice but if this is what that site is about, then I'm staying here. Thank you!

Posted by: P | Jun 20, 2010 7:31:25 PM

25. Just because you criticize Davey Wavey doesn't meant you are bitter and jaded. That's such a simple, unfair generalization.

Posted by: Toby | Jun 21, 2010 10:03:01 AM