Crime | Georgia | News

Two Marines Attack Gay Man In Savannah

Two marines beat a 26-year-old gay man so severely early this morning that he was left unconscious in the streets of Savannah. The victim, Kieran Daly, is still hospitalized.

The Savannah Morning News reports on the incident:

"The officer caught up with the two men who were running away, identified as Keil Joseph Cronauer, 22, and Christopher Charles Stanzel, 23. Police records show both men are stationed at Marine Corps Air Station in Beaufort, S.C. Cronauer and Stanzel told police they were being harassed by a gay man and wanted to get away from him. But witnesses painted a different picture, according to the report."

Savan "They told police one of the men grew angry because he thought Daly was winking at him and struck Daly in the back of the head with his fist, knocking him unconscious. Saturday night, from his bed at Memorial University Medical Center, Daly insisted he tried to convince the Marines he was not winking at them. 'The guy thought I was winking at him,' Daly said. 'I told him, 'I was squinting, man. ... I'm tired.'"

"Daly said one of the men told him he demanded respect because he served in Iraq. And at least one hurled slurs at him as he tried to walk away. 'That's the last thing I remember is walking away,' Daly said."

Daly, who only came out six months ago, suffered serious injuries which included bruising to the brain. he also experienced two seizures after the attack. Cronauer and Stanzel were arrested and charged for the possible hate crime.

The paper also reports that the attack is being investigated by the police the Savannah police department's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender official.

Comments

1. Why are many self described heterosexual men so insecure in their sexual orientation that they continually feel the neeed to prove their manhood at the slightest provocation.

"I beat him up because he winked at me." Really? Are you kidding me?

Bizarre.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 13, 2010 6:21:46 PM

2. Great FB post by one of them:
    Chris Stanzel #1 = God. #2 = family. #3= LSU!!!

Posted by: Alpha | Jun 13, 2010 6:24:50 PM

3. I am a military brat and have spent most of my younger life growing on bases around the world…..

I have been winked at…. and hit on…. by Marines, Airmen… Sailors and Soldiers from Norfolk to Nuremberg to Naha… and I never once beat the crap out of any of them.

I hope we read soon that the Commandant of the Marine Corps… General James Conway… has condemned this assault as forcefully as he has condemned the repeal of DADT.

Posted by: Paula Brooks | Jun 13, 2010 6:58:33 PM

4. Seriously, I can't wait for Conway's Pentagon public relations machine to spin this into something fluffy and adorable:

Greetings oppressed people of the world,

I am Troy McClure, you may remember me from such propaganda films as 'Those Okinawa Girls Raped Themselves' and 'That Unarmed, Pregnant Woman is a Terrorist.' Meet two of your heroic liberators...

Posted by: John | Jun 13, 2010 7:22:07 PM

5. Well that just doesn't seem like a fair fight. And no doubt these scumbags will hide behind their "service" for leniency. Disgrace.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 13, 2010 7:26:27 PM

6. Keil is one hot sexy man. He could beat me after I get my lips around that cock. Yummy.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 13, 2010 8:04:08 PM

7. Follow the like to the artice in The Savannah Morning News. The comments there are unbelievable! The victim is still married to a women and his Sister-in law is posting saying he deserved the beating.

Posted by: James | Jun 13, 2010 9:33:58 PM

8. The few times I've been in Savannah I've definitely noticed a few Marine types in the company of gay men, especially in the middle of the night at Denny's-type 24 hour restaurants. Each of the few times I have been in the city I've noticed these couples: some muscle-bound, thick-necked lug or farm boy in his early twenties with some forty-something gay man. Maybe they have come together to discuss their mutual interest in sports cars or poker or whatever in the middle of the night at Denny's, but I think I know what I'm seeing. Maybe there's money involved and I'm sure the Marines are all straight but...

Also, the Marine Corps spends so much money on advertising so heavily at MMA/UFC events and broadcasts, I'd be surprised if there weren't quite a few gay marines.

I hope the perpetrators, who appear to have confessed their guilt, will be appropriately punished and that Mr. Daly recovers. It's sad that anyone in our society still uses or tolerates the gay-panic defense...As if these two haven't hit on indifferent young women.

Also, when I read that at least one of the accused had been in Iraq, my thought was untreated PTSD. Our stupid wars in the Middle East have left us with quite a few unemployable young men with hair-trigger tempers.

Still, I believe even these goons are entitled to the presumption of innocence, but I'm glad people are giving them a piece of their mind.

Posted by: Fahd | Jun 13, 2010 9:55:51 PM

9. I suspect one of the Marines may be completely innocent except that he bolted from the crime scene. Only one punch was thrown to the back of the head; therefore, only one person is likely to have comitted the intentional act. Both ran from the scene of the crime, which may mean that both are guilty of fleeing but It is likely only one will be held responsible by the local judicial authorities. Only one of the marines committed the crime.

Posted by: jack | Jun 13, 2010 10:46:58 PM

10. So obviously trash like this would not be hired anywhere but they are in the military. They won't accept top tier gay people but scumbag trash like this are there in droves. Prosecute them and throw away the key.

Posted by: Chad | Jun 14, 2010 12:06:48 AM

11. Please stop bashing S.C. I doubt they are actually from the state-they are/were just stationed there.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 14, 2010 1:27:10 AM

12. What is this?! WTF is this? Your defense and excuses of these two sex fantasies/degenerates of yours is disgusting, piglets. I don't care if the vic and perps are white trash...everyone in georgia/south carolina is white trash! the perps ARE white trash...it's a white trash state full of white trash. And no, I'm not saying that everyone from south cackalacky is addicted to meth...not everyone, anyway--but prove me wrong.

Betcha if the marines in question were a little DARKER--if ya follow--you'd all be howling for their heads on spikes. Disgusting...but predictable.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 14, 2010 2:11:56 AM

13. I thought the Marines where real men of honor, now I just lost all my respect for them!

Posted by: Dawnell_do | Jun 14, 2010 2:26:13 AM

14. This is for the straight girls;

Next time a straight guy onto you or you think he's winking at you; kick him in the nuts.

And use the same defense that the straight marines are using.

Posted by: GaryJ | Jun 14, 2010 4:53:00 AM

15. Haterosexuals being haterosexuals. They use implied sex to justify their actions and haterosexuals in the justice system wether it's the police, judge or jury will agree with them because they have the exact prejudices these haterosexual criminals have. These two haterosexual males beat Keiran because he's gay, that's it.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 14, 2010 9:04:58 AM

16. @Tank

Aren't you getting a little hysterical?

Posted by: Concerned | Jun 14, 2010 9:38:39 AM

17. I just sent Chris a wink on FB... and stated that I am gay...

Posted by: anet | Jun 14, 2010 9:57:24 AM

18. What a horrible thing to have happen! His recovery is the most important thing, but i hope Kieran gets himself a good litigation attorney to sue them for every dime they have, those dirty #$%^&'s.

Posted by: grego | Jun 14, 2010 11:22:05 AM

19. The victim is now RICH and these two typical, crazy, WACK JOB Christians just said peace out to life as they know it. Looking at their facebooks, it's not as though either imbred looking hick would amount to much anyways...but now they will be nose deep in legal bills, serve prison time AND have their reputation publically tarnished for life. Again, dirt deserves dirt in life...enjoy it boys!

Posted by: CJ | Jun 14, 2010 12:47:51 PM

20. Thank goodness for the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act. Ironic that it was passed by attaching it to the defense spending bill back in 2009. Prosecute these 2 criminals to the full extent of the law and make them pay a hefty sum to the victim for the cost of his injuries, lost wages, pain and suffering.

Posted by: Paul | Jun 14, 2010 1:08:07 PM

21. Keil Cronauer and Christopher Stanzel -
    When you were abroad serving in the military and were there because you believed you were defending for us Americans our freedoms, liberty and our right to the pursuit of happiness.

But then after you come home following your tour of duty abroad and proceed to beat the s.h.i.t.e out of the citizens you were defending here at home because you don't agree with their right to freedom, liberty or pursuit of happiness ... then wouldn't you agree that your whole reason for going to Iraq (or other foreign lands) just became null and void.

In other words, when you first joined the Marines did you fully comprehend what you were doing when you raised your right hand and took that sacred oath to defend the Constitution of the United States?

Posted by: EuroRant | Jun 14, 2010 10:39:20 PM

22. It tells me that Savannah will not ever get the pleasure of my visit or assets. If this seems to be a on going issue there, then I will gladly steer clear of the whole city. To bad to because I had really wished to see it but not at the expense of being beaten for any reason. Not sure of local laws about defending yourself but wouldn't want to be arrested as in other places for fighting back. I agree as well that WOMEN should mace any guy that makes an unwanted pass at them.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Jun 16, 2010 1:43:18 AM

23. Funny how the men who "demand" respect are running away from the police officer.. If they were doing every thing right and were worthy of respect they wouldn't have been running. They knew they did something wrong.

Posted by: weeee | Jun 20, 2010 10:09:52 PM

24. What a shameful disgrace that these men bring to the Marine Corps. They probably had to put them in protective custody for having their fellow Marines take them to task for such behavior.
    If they are guilty, and it does not look good, then I hope that they are given dishonorable discharges.

Sadly this stuff is all to typical of the east coast Marine training function. The west coast seems to have more open minded people. The Marine Corps needs to do something about the east coast homophobic attitudes.

Posted by: PupDog | Jun 21, 2010 11:43:15 AM

25. I believe the marines should have not attacked. They should have let him go and the only way to say: May God be with you.

Posted by: Melvin | Sep 14, 2012 11:12:38 PM