Anna Paquin

Singer Vanessa Carlton Comes Out As Bisexual

Van
Carlton made the announcement during a performance at Nashville Pride yesterday. Said the singer, "I've never said this before, but I am a proud bisexual woman." Just a few months ago, Anna Paquin also came out as bisexual.

Good for Carlton for not only bravely coming out but for choosing to do so in front of her fans during Pride month.

Watch the music video for her first big hit, "A Thousand Miles," AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Good for her!

Posted by: Rob | Jun 20, 2010 1:09:02 PM

2. she also joined Amnesty International, the Student Union and will be a hardcore vegan until she goes home for summer break.

Posted by: Kitty Boots | Jun 20, 2010 1:43:47 PM

3. Good for her. She's very pretty and a talented girl. Wish her all the best.

Posted by: lala | Jun 20, 2010 2:10:45 PM

4. love her, but she also has a new album coming out...perfectly timed

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 20, 2010 4:26:25 PM

5. LOL@kb. so true.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 20, 2010 5:58:37 PM

6. Oh wow, this is totally excepted. A woman comes out as bisexual and people say she's doing for attention or it's temporary. And people ask why a lot of bi people aren't more active in the community. Look in the mirror.

Keep up with the fail people, doing a good job at it.

Posted by: missanthrope | Jun 20, 2010 6:41:09 PM

7. Although I've always liked her music, I thought it was great when, in Vanessa's video for "Pretty Baby" (off her first album), she predominantly featured a gay male couple as part of her small circle of friends.

Posted by: Tommy Marx | Jun 20, 2010 7:04:25 PM

8. @Missanthrope Is this better or worse than when a man says he is bisexual and people assume it is a "stepping stone" to truly being gay? (Honest question. I find both responses terrible)

Good for her. Who cares if she has an album coming out or not. She did it at a Pride festival - that's good timing.

Posted by: Lis | Jun 20, 2010 7:04:39 PM

9. Oh fuck you people. I'm so tired of the PC faggot/genderqueer/tranny brigade blaming gays and lesbians first for "biphobia"...more bi people aren't out in the community because they're living heterosexual lives (yeah yeah, there are bi men and women who identify as gay and lesbian, and I'm not excusing biphobia on the part of gays and lesbians)... it's all the gay biphobes fault and not the overwhelming homophobia perpetuated by straights in society. And heaven forbid that someone make the scientifically proven case that female sexuality is different from male sexuality...Fuck you people.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 20, 2010 7:13:56 PM

10. Awww, hooray for Vanessa! Her must recent album (year or 2 ago?), Heroes and Thieves was awesome! I'm glad she decided to share this with her fans :-)

Posted by: James | Jun 20, 2010 8:37:16 PM

11. Who cares what she does in a personal life??????????????

Posted by: jim green | Jun 20, 2010 9:42:13 PM

12. yes, tank. you're also part of the problem.

Posted by: gomez | Jun 20, 2010 10:08:45 PM

13. and you pee sitting down, gomez. Vapid idiot.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 20, 2010 10:32:36 PM

14. Perhaps it's good that coming out can be seen as a positive marketing tool now rather than a career killer.

Posted by: Sean Mac | Jun 21, 2010 8:26:18 AM

15. @ LIS:

"@Missanthrope Is this better or worse than when a man says he is bisexual and people assume it is a "stepping stone" to truly being gay? (Honest question. I find both responses terrible)"

It's neither, some people use it as a "stepping stone" while for many (like me) are bi all of thier lives. That's not the issue, the issue is taking what people idenitity's seriously. If she says she's bi, then she's bi. I'm sure you've had people accuse you of being "confused", it's hurts just the same for bi people.

@TANK:

Shut up and deal with it.

Posted by: missanthrope | Jun 21, 2010 5:45:35 PM

16. Sorry but I'm not buying this bisexuality shtick of women. They've hopped on the bandwagon to get some sort of media status or attention designed to enhance their record sales.

When there are at least the same number of men declaring their bisexuality as are women, only then will I believe there is a level playing field that isn't based on an exploitative double standard. Until then, girls, you'll just have to put up with our cynicism.

Posted by: jason | Jun 22, 2010 2:21:11 AM

17. Spell check time- I think she meant "Come Out and Buy" my new album.

Posted by: FagZilla360 | Dec 27, 2011 10:05:55 PM