Fashion Men | Johnny Weir | News | PETA

Watch: Johnny Weir Taunts PETA with Look into His Furry Closet

Weir

Figure skater Johnny Weir switched to faux fur at last year's Olympics after threats of disruption from animal rights groups, but a new video for Bluefly.com may very well reignite their anger.

Said Weir in January: "I totally get the dirtiness of the fur industry and how terrible it is to animals. But it's not something that's the No. 1 priority in my life. There are humans dying everyday. There are thousands if not millions of homeless people in New York City. Look at what just happened in Haiti. I tend to focus my energy, if there is a cause, on humans. While that may be callous and bad of me, it's my choice."

In the new "Closet Confessions" video for Bluefly, Weir declares his love for fur, showing off a collection of his clothes made of python, beaver, fox, lynx, and a Balenciaga "tree" of leather bags.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I wish this sorry sack of shit was required to kill the animals he wears. Most of them have sharp teeth.

Posted by: homer | Jun 29, 2010 3:48:59 PM

2. Humans > Animals. PETA should be destroyed.

Posted by: SongBird | Jun 29, 2010 4:10:36 PM

3. Animals rights over your own rights...dude, you should be shot.

Posted by: Visitor | Jun 29, 2010 4:12:19 PM

4. He's a fucking idiot, plain and simple. It's one thing to say 'well, it's not ideal, but how do you avoid the killing of some animals?' and quite another to deliberately seek out python and beaver and exotic furs. It's like, if I can't be good I'll be horrible?

Also, his argument about Haiti and the homeless...what has he ever done for them?

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jun 29, 2010 4:15:07 PM

5. Go back to queerty, visitor. It's where you belong. You'll fit right in amongst the detritus and debris that visit it.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 29, 2010 4:16:36 PM

6. Yea animal rights to not be tortured over my right to have a fucking marriage license. I'd like to see your punk ass try to shoot me, I'm for gun rights too:) Thank you for illustrating my point perfectly. You think you matter so much to other people? That whatever personal issue you selfishly cling to is "worldly" to them? You don't and its not.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 29, 2010 4:23:55 PM

7. Humans are animals, songbird.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 29, 2010 4:26:45 PM

8. What a prick. Yeah, yeah there are starving blah, blah, but do your really need a fur coat? I agree that little Johnny should go out and slaughter all those animals that had to die for that coat or have a trap snap and break his precious foot. Then maybe she will change her tune.

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Jun 29, 2010 4:34:25 PM

9. This is disappointing from Weir. It's so easy not to support the fur industry.

While PETA goes to insane, over-the-top measures, they are also responsible for the a great deal of progress in the animal rights arena.

It's odd to me that people can't make the connection that animals feel exactly what we do physically - and should be respected as much as possible. That doesn't make them equal to humans, but its something we should consider.

Posted by: Tonic | Jun 29, 2010 4:35:36 PM

10. Karma's a bitch, and she never quits.

Let's see how Johnny's life goes...

Posted by: lewlew | Jun 29, 2010 4:48:50 PM

11. Sadly, we can't force everyone to do what we want them to do.

Posted by: veg | Jun 29, 2010 4:55:56 PM

12. I love Johnny and I love fur. Really I don't give two shits about the animals that die for my clothes. I find it still incredibly hypocritical for those who eat meat and/or buy leather products to continue to talk mess about fur wearers. Faux fur is bull. I only do real.

Posted by: New New | Jun 29, 2010 5:02:26 PM

13. I also love and cosign on everything he had to say about Louis Vuitton. I would buy anything with that trademarked LV monogram.

Posted by: New New | Jun 29, 2010 5:05:14 PM

14. New New, I'm a vegetarian, but how is it hypocritical to eat meat and be against fur? To eat meat and be against the torturous conditions animals are systematically put through while they are alive? I actually see nothing wrong with eating meat or wearing fur in principle, but I don't believe in causing unnecessary suffering. The people who actually kill animals themselves for food and warmth often show far more respect towards life than the spoiled people of modern societies who are wasteful and selfish in just about all they do. There is enough necessary suffering in the world, seems sadistic to foster unnecessary suffering for truly shallow superficial reasons, especially from behind closed doors where you can willfully ignore the reality. Necessary will always be a subjective question of course, but you have to be a cold person to consider fashion and symbols of status for otherwise insecure people adequate justification. I support hunters who control deer populations, I don't support hunters who come along to steal babies from a family of seals so some sad person with too much money can get their jollies from a dumb coat. That you would buy anything bearing the logo of a brand says everything thats wrong with our society.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 29, 2010 5:23:59 PM

15. If we were all the same, life would be boring.
    Johnny can keep on being Johnny for all I care and I'll support whatever he does in HIS life.

Posted by: Drew | Jun 29, 2010 5:28:44 PM

16. You don't really hope to have a "conversation" with someone like new new, do you? That thing is beyond salvage, reason, or interest.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 29, 2010 5:32:49 PM

17. I agree that the arguments he makes are weak but frankly people have been wearing fur and leather for thousands of year so get over it. If he wants to wear fur more power to him and glad he stood up to the fascist freaks over at PETA. Go Johnny!

Posted by: Brad Nichols | Jun 29, 2010 5:36:06 PM

18. Brad, people have also been murdering queers for thousands of years so get over it.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 29, 2010 5:39:51 PM

19. He went from being incredibly amusing to unbelievably annoying in less than his allotted 15 minutes. And fur is beyond tacky; only tacky bitches wear it.

Posted by: And so it goes | Jun 29, 2010 5:41:11 PM

20. Delicious irony, brad. You admit that the argument he gives is weak, and yet proceed to give another weak argument. People have been raping, murdering, other people for thousands of years...torturing, disemboweling and buring alive gay people, too...idiot.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 29, 2010 5:43:00 PM

21. These points may have come up in the 45 comments that proceeded mine-- surely unemployement is up or people with jobs are increasingly goldbricking at work, but

I don't think Weir knows what he is getting himself into.

He doesn't have the money for Aretha Franklin style security.

I'd rather mess with Texas.

Posted by: Ted | Jun 29, 2010 5:51:09 PM

22. The man can wear what he wants and spend his money on what he wants. He is correct animals are killed and abused each and every day for 1000 different reason. Some for fur, some for food, some for fun. If you are not going to jude you must judge all animal killers; the meat eater, the hunter as well as the fabulous fur wearer. Very little animal killing is necessary. Most of it is because of want. You don't have to eat meat to stay alive but I bet most of the negative posters do. You don't have to wear leather belts and shoes but i bet most of the negative posters do. So please people stop being so hypocritical, stop the hate and go eat a burger or go protest in front of almost every store in America. In most of them the you will find some incarnation of a dead animal from the supermarket to the pep boys.

Posted by: LBPhilly | Jun 29, 2010 6:20:23 PM

23. Most animals used in the fur industry are skinned alive - it takes about 15-20 inutes to skin a live dog - I've unfortnately seen the videos and can never forget them. Would like to sit Weir down in front of them with his eyes taped open. But he'd still probably be fantasizing about how he would look in their skins.
    As for his pretending to care about human suffering - somehow I don't believe a word, Johnny.

Posted by: tarxien | Jun 29, 2010 6:31:05 PM

24. I do eat meat. I consider it an ethical failing of mine, and I try to reduce the amount I consume for good ethical reasons. I also don't buy meat that was processed in factory farms, but from local farms because they at least give their animals a life that is infinitely better than those in factory farms. It is the experiential and preferential points that need to be stressed. Needless suffering is never justified under any circumstance for any organism, but also the preferences of those organisms need to be taken into account, for preference satisfaction is happiness or at last the absence of suffering; and that is what motivates all sentient life (a life worth living without suffering). It is wrong to consume the flesh of beings capable of suffering, and capable of having a life worth living (this isn't just for humans) simply because you enjoy their flesh.

A thought experiment would be along the lines of if a more intelligent species were discovered earth, and also that it enjoy the taste of human flesh, we'd have to be consistent and enable them to do what they wish with us just as we do whatever want to animals in ignoring their preferences and compounding their suffering for profit.

People do have the choice to do bad things, and many do bad things. I'd much prefer it if people were to come their good decisions with reason rather than coercion, but in light of satisfying the preferences of the most possible beings capable of having preferences satisfied, this isn't required. And this is where cosmopolitanism and even libertarianism fail in the ethical domain.

Now, hypocrisy doesn't void the truth of a statement. If a person who fails to live up to their own standard makes a true statement (e.g., needless suffering is bad)...then that proposition is distinct from their hypocrisy.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 29, 2010 6:31:45 PM

25. " ...if not millions of homeless in New York City ..." WTF planet is this guy on ? I mean really,seriously did his mother drink a lot when she was pregant ? are his parents siblings ?
    and all this in defense of the barbaric vanity of wearing fur that always, without exception looks better on its original owner.
    sounds someone really did **** his brains out when he was bottoming

Posted by: jerry | Jun 29, 2010 6:48:13 PM