Gay Rights | New York | News | Pageants

Watch: Miss New York 2010 Claire Buffie Talks About Being the First Miss America to Compete on a Gay Rights Platform

Buffie

Miss New York 2010 Claire Buffie is the first Miss America contestant in the 90-year history of the pageant to run on a gay rights platform. Plum TV caught up with Buffie at the Empire State Pride Agenda's annual Hampton's Tea Dance.

Says Buffie: "I fell like gay rights are the civil rights movement of my generation, and I think it's really important to have straight ally support because any time you want to effect a change with a minority you have to have support from the majority, and I'm that voice now...My older sister Sarah is a lesbian, but in addition to her, I grew up in the performing arts. So many of my friends are LGBT, and it's my duty as a straight ally to represent them."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hearing a young person use the word "Duty" in such a way makes me cry happy tears.

Posted by: Brian Stroup | Jul 21, 2010 8:07:43 PM

2. This is real right? If so, that's awesome and she should definitely get positive exposure! Go 'head gurl!

Posted by: B | Jul 21, 2010 8:10:29 PM

3. I need more info on that reporter! How cute is he?

Posted by: mike | Jul 21, 2010 8:24:50 PM

4. Brilliant and impressively said. Glad to have you on our side, miss.

Posted by: g_whiz | Jul 21, 2010 9:07:48 PM

5. I want her on my facebook now....
    And in the words of Sassy Gay friend... She is a stooopid betch.

Posted by: raul | Jul 21, 2010 9:12:51 PM

6. Woo Hoo, love her... and Carrie Prejean can SUCK IT!

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 21, 2010 10:13:54 PM

7. I was enjoying this and then she said she went to Ball State University. Woohoo! My alma mater! The reporter was slightly annoying.

Posted by: KFLO | Jul 21, 2010 11:00:04 PM

8. I think the reporter is Nick Leighton. He does a lot for Plum TV.

Posted by: pete | Jul 22, 2010 12:06:54 AM

9. Amazing interview from an amazing young lady...this just days after the reigning Miss California 2010, Nicole Johnson, posed for the NO H8 campaign and announced her stance for marriage equality.

As a pageant queen who's two sisters competed for these titles, I can tell you all that the Carrie Prejeans ARE the outliers in the industry. Most pageant titleholders are the most gay friendly, accepting, loving friends a gay pal could have. Carrie Prejeans do not represent the pageant community (hence, her getting her title yanked from both the state and national orginizations, neither of which supported her platform of intolerance)...my experiences have been nothing but pretty positive with not only the contestants but their families too.

Posted by: James Burrow | Jul 22, 2010 3:28:55 AM

10. Not only is this outstanding woman more attractive than Prejean, she's clearly more bright and her resume alone should get her into the finals. If the pageant commitee shuns her from placing, I'll change the channel faster than anything and won't be tuning back in. this story made me very happy and even happier to know the next Miss America could potentially be a LGBT spokesperson.

Posted by: IonMusic | Jul 22, 2010 3:30:57 AM

11. "... I grew up in the performing arts. So many of my friends are LGBT..."

Yay anecdotal stereotypes!

Posted by: bastian | Jul 22, 2010 6:58:51 AM

12. Too bad she's so unattractive. If we had a more attractive supporter, that'd definitely get more exposure. Look at her buckteeth!

Posted by: Tank | Jul 22, 2010 8:41:08 AM

13. Tank, you're no prize pig yourself.

Posted by: Duh | Jul 22, 2010 8:48:52 AM

14. Bastian- I am not sure why you felt the need to say that but some people are like the stereotypes. That is what they are based on!And you know what? They are still okay with me. I don't look down on them for it unless they are nasty people.

Posted by: Rann | Jul 22, 2010 8:58:15 AM

15. yay nick leighton and yay claire buffie! both totally cute and totally smart. keep it up and hope you win!

Posted by: zt | Jul 22, 2010 9:39:49 AM

16. Aw!!! Brought a little tear to my eye. That is so SWEET. :)

Posted by: Allen | Jul 22, 2010 10:30:46 AM

17. She gets my vote! Go Claire!!!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 22, 2010 11:05:22 AM

18. @RANN: just pointing out that she has let her anecdotal experience transform itself into a subtle and implicit assumption. It presents no danger here, but in other contexts it can be very negative. I don't have anything against the girl.

Posted by: bastian | Jul 22, 2010 11:05:39 AM

19. I would vote for her. GO Miss New York!

Posted by: Susan | Jul 22, 2010 4:59:03 PM

20. I like the way she thinks and talks BUT with all the Gay friends she has , couldn"t they do something with her hair before her trying for Miss America.

Posted by: Kyle | Jul 22, 2010 8:21:32 PM

21. Oh I see... I didn't watch the video earlier (I had only read the quote). I read it as, "... I grew up in the performing arts. So, many of my friends are LGBT..." [comma after so is my original interpretation]. After seeing the video, I see that she used "so" to exaggerate "many", not to conclude anything. That "refudiates" my beef from earlier.

Posted by: bastian | Jul 22, 2010 9:30:19 PM

22. http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5279/clairebuffie.jpg

Claire Buffie, 1998 school picture, 8th grade

Posted by: Jim | Aug 22, 2010 3:07:51 PM

23. thanks admin for sharing this cool thing with us.cqwwq

Posted by: knockoff handbags | Sep 18, 2011 12:29:49 PM

24. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work.

Posted by: renlewei | May 10, 2012 6:30:33 AM