AIDS/HIV | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Family Research Council | Health | Military | News | Tony Perkins

BigGayDeal.com

FRC: Military at Greater Risk of HIV, STDs if Gays Serve Openly

Labutta

The Family Research Council, in addition to putting out fraudulent pamphlets in Holland, Michigan, is ramping up its attacks on gays in the military in advance of the Senate debate on the Defense bill. Last week they put out a podcast with an all-star cast of right-wing nutjobs and dangerous crackpots to try and give credence to their distorted statements about gay people.

On Tuesday, they released a clip of that podcast featuring the American Family Association's Dr. Robert LaButta, a retired U.S. Army Col., who suggested that allowing gays to serve openly would somehow put the military at greater risk of HIV, STDs, and psychological disorders.

Says LaButta:

I think as I look at the health implications, I look at the medical risk. So I look at the medical risk for the military and that’s – that was my job as a military medical officer, was to look at the medical risk. And when there’s an individual who’s a practicing homosexual, there’s no question that they are at a significant medical risk. They have an increased risk of HIV, they have an increased risk of sexually transmitted diseases and they have an increased risk of psychological disorders. Between 1993 and now, actually, there’s well over a decade more of information to actually highlight those risks, to define them. They’re still there...

...As a military physician, I’m guided by two things. Was guided by two things: The military oath and the military mission. Most of the times, the military mission and the medical oath coincide with each other almost perfectly. Very rare circumstances, say, in combat triage where they don’t. But mostly, they go hand in hand. I think that the military that – the health of the services, the health of the forces would be decremented. I also think the care of the person, if we said that people could come into the military and openly practice a homosexual behavior, we’re not caring for that person. So for both of my – the oath that I took, it actually violates both of them.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

The entire podcast. with transcript, is here.

(via LGBT POV)

Comments

1. Pardon my strong words: WTF?! Such an unlogical statement.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 28, 2010 12:28:28 PM

2. what a laughing stock AMERICA must be TO other Western Countries where Gays/Lesbians Serve Openly....what a Friggin-laughing stock. Even that they allow a Group like FRC to even have a Say is beyond the pale...and an affront to ALL service members.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jul 28, 2010 12:36:38 PM

3. I think those people need to focus less on the sex part.

Posted by: Alco | Jul 28, 2010 12:36:59 PM

4. This Country makes me sick..to even gives these homophobic A-holes a forum...wow,just wow.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jul 28, 2010 12:38:12 PM

5. LaButta? That's really his name?

Posted by: K in VA | Jul 28, 2010 12:52:55 PM

6. TheButt is all that Sinclair Lewis promised--Fascism will come to America wrapped in a flag and holding the Bible.

Posted by: candideinncc | Jul 28, 2010 12:53:13 PM

7. LaButta? LaBUTTa? This shit writes itself.

Posted by: Sean | Jul 28, 2010 12:53:49 PM

8. According to the findings of a poll that the national science foundation conducts every two years, only 45% of americans believe in evolution BECAUSE it conflicts with their "religious faith"...even in China, 69% of the population believes in biological evolution.

Only 33% of americans believe in the big bang...

Given that this guy works for an organization that is founded on the principles of christian theocracy and dominionism, how much would you bet that this guy believes in neither biological evolution nor the big bang? Beliefs that the absence of literally makes one scientifically illiterate...so, a physician who doesn't believe in evolution (as is extremely likely the case) BECAUSE of his religious faith is likely to disbelieve anything that conflicts with his religious faith....like the fact that there is absolutely no "greater STI" risk in eliminating DADT.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 28, 2010 12:57:00 PM

9. Many, like myself, believe that any organization with the word "Family" or "Values" or "Traditional" in their title should not be allowed to congregate; these are all words used to hide their homophobia, bigotry, and hate; we as a country would do well to squash the hatred that exists within our own society, as these groups harbor the same feelings towards freedom of expression as the Taliban in regards to homosexuals and similar issues.

Posted by: Shane | Jul 28, 2010 1:05:27 PM

10. I think he misspoke. He meant to say, "...As a military physician, I’m guided by four things. Was guided by four things: The military oath and the military mission, my hope that our country will become a Christian theocracy, and my choice to be homophobic bigot."

Posted by: David in Houston | Jul 28, 2010 1:06:22 PM

11. what a load of bull shit. FRC and their Labuttboy should be ashamed of themselves. frc has targeted holland, mi. with pamphlets fraught with disinformation. they are shameless liars. if those people really do believe in god, she will not look kindly on them at the reckoning.

i sent an e-mail to perkins expressing as much.

Posted by: nic | Jul 28, 2010 1:16:45 PM

12. Did anyone else see that PBS documentary Carrier? The one thing I was struck with was how for military people they truly are soldiers first and above all else when they are on active duty. This is reinforced by a strict code of conduct that is vigorously prosecuted by the military itself Keeping that in mind how is who you have sex with even an issue for the military. Clearly straight sexual relationships are frowned upon within the ranks - an even punished. The same rules will obviously be applied to gay people who I'm sure will be just as professional as the other men and women of the military. This whole thing is just a smokescreen to enable discrimination. The sad thing is the secondary victims are everyone in the military. Apparently none of them can be counted on to keep it in their pants and he whole moral and military code hangs on such a razor-thin edge that the smallest breathe of change will send it into full blown orgy mode.

Posted by: MT | Jul 28, 2010 1:21:39 PM

13. I am a current ACTIVE DUTY Army physician, and I specialize in Infectious Diseases, and this guy (of course he is RETIRED) is full of CRAP!

Anyone with any sense can see the CURRENT policy increases the risk of spreading STDs--obviously if you can lose your job for being gay, you are less likely to get treated for an STD at a military clinic, and less likely to tell the public health nurse who you got it from so they can be treated as well. I see this in my practice every day, and it has been my major argument AGAINST the current DADT policy.

So Dr LaButta: keep your bigoted and untrue opinions to yourself!

Posted by: Josh | Jul 28, 2010 1:23:13 PM

14. It's only a matter of time before we see the video of him obeying orders and being a good buttboy for the general. :)
    Just come out of the closet already and quit your self loathing and your ignorant denigration of your fellow brave closeted and openly gay soldiers. The Religious Wrong must be getting more afraid of us by the day if they are willing to stoop to these levels.
    Tragic actually.

Posted by: SFshawn | Jul 28, 2010 1:35:49 PM

15. That man is a walking talking violation of the sacred Hippocratic Oath and should not be a doctor any longer.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 28, 2010 1:39:29 PM

16. Right on, Josh.

And thank you for your service.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 28, 2010 1:46:42 PM

17. Military personell have a greater risk of STD's, HIV and psychological disorders than the general public.

Posted by: SammySeattle | Jul 28, 2010 2:18:22 PM

18. In the Korean War, gonorrhea accounted for three-fourths of all STD diagnoses.

How many of those soilders were straight and serving openly as straight, I wonder?

Posted by: RJ | Jul 28, 2010 2:19:15 PM

19. Tank says: Given that this guy works for an organization that is founded on the principles of christian theocracy and dominionism, how much would you bet that this guy believes in neither biological evolution nor the big bang?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 28, 2010 2:58:52 PM

20. This guy has really got me angry. See my post above for my own background.

I just checked Dr LaButta's board certification, and he is a NEUROLOGIST. Dr LaButta, leave the discussion of infectious diseases, epidemiology, and public health to those of us who know what we are talking about, please!

Posted by: Josh | Jul 28, 2010 3:09:17 PM

21. Because furtive people are safer?

Posted by: jimstoic | Jul 28, 2010 3:19:43 PM

22. As a european I have ot been aware of reports in the euro media about an epidemic of STDs in the armed forces of european NATO countries who allow openly gay service personel.

Does Dr LaButte (honestly one could not make that name up if one tried...) think that US service personel have less discipline and self respect than their european allies ?

Utter rubbish of course and reallt quite disrespectful of all those US service personel both gay and srainght to suggest that they will indulge in God knows what sexual practices once your army "goes gay" honestly what planet does this man live on ...clealry not the same one as your NATO allies (or perhaps he thinks that the British soldiers out in Afganistan are having orgies all of the time?)

FOOL

Posted by: arch | Jul 28, 2010 4:04:17 PM

23. Gosh, if only there were countries that allow gays in the military that could provide data to validate or refute those assertions... guess we'll never ever know. Sigh.

Posted by: Rebel Agenda | Jul 28, 2010 4:21:04 PM

24. OMFG! This guy can't possibly be a physician! I think I'll Lebutta my bread with LeFACTS instead.

Posted by: Ishaq | Jul 28, 2010 4:37:25 PM

25. Don't US troops serve with British troops, Canadians, Norwegian, etc......what horrible adverse consequences have flowed from association with such troops that might have "the gay" ?
    Come to think of it, don't US troops already serve with silent gays ?
    Does saying you're gay give you "the gay" ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 28, 2010 5:11:06 PM