Film | News | Tom Hardy

'Inception' Star Tom Hardy: 'Of Course' I've Had Sex with Men

Hardy

Inception star Tom Hardy tells the Daily Mail that he's had sexual relations with men:

"The 32-year-old Inception star, who is engaged to British actress Charlotte Riley, 28, and also has a two-year-old son with a former girlfriend.  But asked if he'd ever had any sexual relations with other men, the broody actor said: 'As a boy? Of course I have. I'm an actor for ****'s sake. 'I've played with everything and everyone. I love the form and the physicality, but now that I'm in my thirties, it doesn't do it for me. I'm done experimenting but there's plenty of stuff in a relationship with another man, especially gay men, that I need in my life. A lot of gay men get my thing for shoes. I have definite feminine qualities and a lot of gay men are incredibly masculine.'"

The paper adds: "In an interview with Now magazine, the former party-boy who has battled drink, drugs and crime to turn his life around, added: 'A lot of people say I seem masculine, but I don't feel it. I feel intrinsically feminine. I'd love to be one of the boys but I always felt a bit on the outside. Maybe my masculine qualities come from overcompensating because I'm not one of the boys.'"

Comments

1. This man is effin sexy! He was my 2nd favorite character in Inception behind Joseph Gordon-Levitt & who wouldnt mind being behind Joseph ;) I hope we see more great work from him!

Posted by: Cesar | Jul 28, 2010 2:02:02 PM

2. lucky bastards!

Posted by: clemsonaj | Jul 28, 2010 2:04:10 PM

3. I love how frank he is, It made me immediately want to see inception, but then I IMDB'd him and he was Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis so..... pass....

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 28, 2010 2:05:27 PM

4. I wanted to marry both Joseph Gordon Levitt and Tom Hardy after Inception. Swoooon.

Posted by: Alejandro | Jul 28, 2010 2:06:40 PM

5. huh. He was hot...until I saw bronson, and then his sex appeal died.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 28, 2010 2:09:15 PM

6. Yea I know I wasn't the only one who had trouble focusing on the actual movie whenever he was on screen. Those lips, my god. He played a gay guy (in love with Gerard Butler's character) in RockNRolla and went totally nude for like 5 minutes straight in 'Bronson', fyi.

Posted by: Wes | Jul 28, 2010 2:09:53 PM

7. First of all of course Tom you have had sexual relations with another man because I am one of them. It was 2007 in South Wales, we ran into one another several times over the course of my stay there. We ended up finally saying "hello" near Holland Park and with no more than that we were chatting like old friends. I did take note of your smile and told you so but you were a bit shy so I left it alone. Soon we worked our way to the outskirts of Chelsea; I needed to check in with a friend and you "awkwardly" agreed to wait for me. the rest of the evening was full of laughs and slight touches on the leg and shoulder. Grabbing a black box around 1AM, I said I was done for the evening. With great ease you leaned forward and kissed me full on the lips; while shocked i accepted and we retired at my place in Knightsbridge. Tom you are a prince full of manners and desires. I do think about you!

Posted by: True Words | Jul 28, 2010 2:14:16 PM

8. Well...OK.

So he's a Kinsey 1.5 ort even a 2, no big deal.

It'sa really nice that Hrady approaches it as not being a big deal.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jul 28, 2010 2:14:49 PM

9. Sounds like a very emotionally mature bisexual to me. More please.

And get your mitts off of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I saw him first!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 28, 2010 2:18:07 PM

10. He is an honest man who admits the truth about the nature of sexuality. As in most things, there is no black and white, only shades of grey.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 28, 2010 2:20:38 PM

11. I hope that we can all be so honest and open about ourselves.

I kind of feel the same way as Tom Hardy, but in reverse.

To many of my friends I'm a lesbian and a feminist. And although I'm petite and Asian I identify most with traditionally masculine pursuits and, in my mind, I am larger and tougher.

But, like some lesbians, I'm also drawn to gay men of all persuasions (and I wouldn't be a regular reader and commentor on Andy's blog if I weren't so drawn).

And I've messed around with quite a few men. Ha!

But after exploring around, and as I've aged, I've found that my primary orientation is lesbic.

Last year I read this book called SEXUAL FLUIDITY by Lisa Diamond. I totally found myself in those pages. Yes, there are folks who would never, ever think of being with anyone outside of their primary gender-of-focus. But others of us at certain times in our lives are/were fairly sexually fluid.

I appreciate Tom Hardy's honesty so much.

Thanks for the post, Andy!

Posted by: veg | Jul 28, 2010 2:21:23 PM

12. Refreshingly honest! We need more of his type in the world!

Side bar: Interesting that all the sons of Star Trek captains were played by gay/gay-affirming actors... (Merritt Buttrick comes to mind).

Posted by: Rad | Jul 28, 2010 2:34:49 PM

13. Tom you are a prince full of manners and desires.

As opposed to you, True Words, who couldn't wait to 'kiss and tell'. Ick.

Posted by: dib | Jul 28, 2010 2:39:16 PM

14. Just another straight dude purporting gay sexual encounters for publicity. It's getting tired.

Posted by: Jackson | Jul 28, 2010 2:39:58 PM

15. Jason has a new screenname. How exciting!!

Posted by: crispy | Jul 28, 2010 2:42:46 PM

16. True Words, that sounds like a memorable evening/morning

Posted by: jerry | Jul 28, 2010 2:44:21 PM

17. Uhh, Jackson? He was asked in an interview. Should he have lied, in order to minimize the publicity?

Posted by: ben | Jul 28, 2010 2:45:47 PM

18. He dinged the dar, surely enough. And I loved him in the movie. Cool to hear he's at least an ally, open, whatever. Wish him well and success.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 28, 2010 2:46:13 PM

19. this is a shining example of the incredible power of "coming out" that so many of us gone through! When we come out we provide safety for everyone to come out in truth and acceptance. What a beautiful trickle down effect!

I am grateful to this very visible man for speaking and owning his truth, so that others may find the courage to do so!

He is beautiful on the outside, no doubt, but now even more attractive from the inside out!

Posted by: tkirk | Jul 28, 2010 2:52:46 PM

20. Seriously, his confident honesty is the sexiest thing about him.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 28, 2010 2:54:13 PM

21. In a heartbeat!

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jul 28, 2010 2:56:19 PM

22. Ive always fancied him, yes, even in Star Trek Nemesis. He just exudes sex appeal and he does seem such a nice guy.
    In bronson he was over pumped, and looked older than he is (fitted the part perfectly) , but he is reducing back to a more natural shape slowly (so as not to look scraggy and used up as some actors do after a bulk up).

Posted by: Rovex | Jul 28, 2010 2:56:54 PM

23. I've loved him since the first time I saw him as one of Daniel Craig's partners in 'Layer Cake'. Double-swoon in that one!!

Posted by: Esteban | Jul 28, 2010 2:57:32 PM

24. Sweet Jesus. If you loved Hardy in Inception and you haven't yet seen Mr. Madonna's "RocknRolla," get thee to thy Netflix queue post-haste!

Hella hawt—and served with a smoking helping of Thandie Newton on the side, too!

Posted by: 24play | Jul 28, 2010 3:00:07 PM

25. Wow. An actual grown-up. "Refreshing" is the right word, I agree.

Posted by: Clay | Jul 28, 2010 3:06:15 PM