Film | Iraq | News | Wachowskis

'Matrix' Filmmakers Begin Casting Gay Iraqi War Romance

The Wachowskis, the siblings who directed The Matrix, have begun casting their latest project, CN9. There's still plenty of mystery surrounding it, as Cinematical notes:

Wachowskis  "Production Weekly took to Twitter to report that casting on the film has begun. There's not a wealth of information out there about CN9 -- in fact, all we really know for sure at this point is that it's going to be a "hard-R war picture about a homosexual American soldier who falls in love with an Iraqi." But, before you assume it's just Brokeback Mountain set in the Middle East, consider that CN9 could stand for the ninth cranial nerve (it does in medical terminology), which is the nerve responsible for receiving information from the tongue, middle ear, and tonsils according to website Playlist. When you do that, the site suggests that it doesn't seem like a stretch to picture the filmmaking duo once again venturing into the world of strange alternate realities and sci-fi. Of course, people could be reading this totally wrong -- CN9 might stand for something entirely different. That's the thing, at this point no one really knows."

Comments

1. Five bucks says America is the bad guy. Another five bucks says there will be no mention of how gays are treated in Islamic countries. It would be nice to be wrong, but these kinds of things are entirely too predictable.

Posted by: Max | Jul 14, 2010 6:41:03 PM

2. First of all, both things can be true: America is the bad guy and Muslims violently hate gays.

Second of all: Lana Wachowski has been billing herself by that name for a while now, so regardless of whether she had surgery or not, she is choosing to present herself as a female publicly. I would just defer to that choice were I you, Andy.

Posted by: LetSodomRing | Jul 14, 2010 6:50:09 PM

3. Max, it's not an either/or proposition: America is the bad guy in Iraq and Muslims violently hate gays.

Andy, Lana Wachowski has been billing herself as such in movie credits and press releases, so regardless of surgery, she is choosing to present herself as a female publicly. I would defer to that choice were I you.

Posted by: LetSodomRing | Jul 14, 2010 6:52:52 PM

4. Pardon the double postage. I thought the intertubathingie done swallowed my post like the greedy hoe that she is.

Posted by: LetSodomRing | Jul 14, 2010 6:54:32 PM

5. Who cares. The Wachowskis haven't put out anything decent since The Matrix anyway.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | Jul 14, 2010 6:58:06 PM

6. muslims violently hate gay people?!

If this were another blog...affectionately titled moonbat, free mumia central...you'd be called a racist! RACIST! Because racism has nothing to do with race...rotflmao.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 14, 2010 6:58:11 PM

7. I def like the premise; I'd watch just for that and the Wachowski brothers put out great stuff so I'm in. The trans-gender thing sure came out of nowhere, lol. But, I think its great!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jul 14, 2010 7:40:01 PM

8. Letsodomring, you're too smart for Hollywood, but I'd still break even. ;)

Posted by: Max | Jul 14, 2010 7:53:27 PM

9. So, which obscure author will they wholesale rip off with this film?

The Matrix concept was directly lifted from Stanislaw Lem.

Posted by: evan | Jul 14, 2010 8:29:20 PM

10. The polite answer to your last question is: none of your fucking business.

Posted by: TTIZ | Jul 14, 2010 9:28:09 PM

11. @Ttiz, it becomes people's business when someone is in the public eye and gave numerous detailed (some extremely graphic) interviews about the planned transition. It basically seemed like she wanted to be as public as possible, then shrank back a bit on realizing the repercussions, whether personal or professional. I'm not judging her, but you're in no position to be judging Andy for wondering given Lana's past self-publicity.

Beyond that, I've no idea why anyone would possibly assume the Wachowskis are going to make a movie suggesting that things are sunshine and rainbows for gays in Muslim countries.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 14, 2010 9:45:54 PM

12. @Paul I didn't judge Andy, I said it was none of his (or anyone's) business. If the info is so public, then one should easily be able to find it, particularly someone so adept at finding news on the internet. If she did shrink back and stop talking about her transition, then it ceases to be our business.

The greater point is that speculating about the state of others' bodies, however innocently, is not a noble quest.

Posted by: TTIZ | Jul 14, 2010 9:56:03 PM

13. On another note, can anybody fill us in on whether Larry Wachowski did indeed complete a male-to-female gender transition? The general info out there appears to still be unclear.

There's a number of pictures of Lana out there.

Posted by: SarahC | Jul 15, 2010 1:30:11 AM

14. ooo sounds cool!!i hope its a super cool flick

Posted by: sal | Jul 15, 2010 1:37:22 AM

15. I still wanna know what all those young n horney grunts are doing for sex in Iraq & Afganistan.

Posted by: smallhandff | Jul 15, 2010 1:58:53 AM

16. I dunno Andy, the name Lana has been commonly accepted and used by sources as varied as Arianna Huffington (http://twitpic.com/skll8) and IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0905154/) the latter of which is notoriously difficult to directly request changes. Sounds like it's time to get on board. . .

Posted by: FrancoisTrueFaux | Jul 15, 2010 3:06:58 AM

17. How about this fags...It's none of your DAMN business worry about your own weiner between your legs!

Okay?

Posted by: Bruski | Jul 15, 2010 7:04:51 AM

18. why do people feel the need to be so ugly in comment sections. Some of this comment read like they should be on Perez Hilton. relax people be nice.

Posted by: artsenyc | Jul 15, 2010 4:37:14 PM

19. Yes, I know that he is a she no matter if he had the surgery or not. I would like to know if he had fully transition, so I can be happy for her that she had finish this very trying journey...

Posted by: artsenyc | Jul 15, 2010 4:42:00 PM