News | Village People

BigGayDeal.com

Rebranding: YMCA to Now Be Known as 'The Y'

Ymca

Say good-bye to the YMCA:

"One of the nation’s most iconic nonprofit organizations, founded 166 years ago in England as the Young Men’s Christian Association, is undergoing a major rebranding, adopting as its name the nickname everyone has used for generations. 'It’s a way of being warmer, more genuine, more welcoming, when you call yourself what everyone else calls you,' said Kate Coleman, the organization’s senior vice president and chief marketing officer."

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Is nothing sacred?

Couldn't they make it "THE Y" and put "Young Men's Christian Association" in small print underneath.

Also, how will this change affect the Young Men's Hebrew Association?

Posted by: NY John | Jul 12, 2010 8:52:45 PM

2. It won't effect Young Men's Hebrew Association because GOYIM aren't THE CHOSEN

Posted by: Mensch | Jul 12, 2010 9:11:28 PM

3. Ask anyone, nothing beats dining at the Y...

Posted by: Tone | Jul 12, 2010 10:17:41 PM

4. Singing about the Y Y Y Y just won't be the same.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jul 13, 2010 12:00:13 AM

5. Diane Sawyer used a clip from this video on ABC World News Tonight and a very homoerotic picture of men in tight gym clothes from the founding years of the YMCA.

Posted by: Joe from Atlanta, GA | Jul 13, 2010 12:42:46 AM

6. This morning on Fox and Friends: “Is it is all a plot to remove Christianity from every aspect of our public lives?!!!!!!”

Some wingnut will say it

Posted by: Gus | Jul 13, 2010 3:35:08 AM

7. Nothing will EVER remove the instant vision of the Village People, no matter how you shorten the name. I say they should embrace the whole gay thing and work it.

Posted by: Walter Mason | Jul 13, 2010 5:03:19 AM

8. Anything that removes or reduces the prominence of "Christian" from an organization's name has my support.

World would've been a much better place without ANY organized religion.

Posted by: sparks | Jul 13, 2010 5:40:45 AM

9. Being Christian and male are not politically correct in 2010. It's a shame the organization feels the need to remove these two names. Especially when now more than ever we need organizations that focus on making men better men.

Posted by: James | Jul 13, 2010 7:46:05 AM

10. Wrong James. We can see empirically that christianity's ridiculous beliefs don't make anyone a better person. In fact it poisons your mind.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 13, 2010 7:51:10 AM

11. "The charitable organization will still be known officially as the YMCA, however."

This was from an article in my local paper this morning.

Posted by: John S. Hall | Jul 13, 2010 8:26:55 AM

12. Marketing-wise, it will be known as "The Y", since that's the way it's been referred to for years.

Each branch is still required to refer to itself as "The YMCA of Anywhere, USA" So the one I belong to will still refer to itself as "YMCA of Lancaster, City Branch".

Charity-wise, it will still be known as the "YMCA".

Posted by: DR | Jul 13, 2010 10:07:37 AM

13. As a young 18 year old Navy seaman fresh out of Boot Camp at "Great Lakes" in 1945, my first leave with a fellow seaman found us in Chicago at the YMCY (pronounced "Yimca") Hotel for the weekend. My strict Catholic upbringing received its first real test that night, and I have never regretted the fact that I "Failed" that test. My heart will never forget the "Y" for setting me free.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Jul 13, 2010 4:22:15 PM

14. Ahhhh! The short video of the VP!!

It all started at my Navy A training in Memphis. I would crank up the stereo with SanFrancisco/Hollywood. Then after I made my way to my permanent duty station is was YMCA. And the last biggie ?? IN THE NAVY!! And with every single tune was scores of US Navy boys dancing their asses off.

Play it again!!