Watch: BYU Students Spoof Old Spice Commercial

Byu

It's difficult for me to enjoy this Old Spice spoof knowing that it was made by a bunch of Mormon students and promotes a library at BYU named after the eleventh President of the Church of Latter Day Saints, but, on its own merits as a parody, it's pretty slick.

Deseret News: "Student employees came up with the commercial idea in late May, planned all the stunts (is that a dead 'No on 8' activist I see at 0:19? j/k) and filmed it in nine hours on a Saturday in early June. The commercial stars HumorU comedian and BYU student Stephen Jones."

If only studying in that library would teach the Mormon students that taking rights away from gay people is a bad thing.

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Since he does so much studying at a library dedicated to Mormon history, I am sure he knows that until 1978, black people were not allowed to be full members of the LDS church. Well, I say "people," but I really mean *men*, since all women are *still* second-class participants as far as Mormonism is concerned.

Posted by: Thomasina | Jul 16, 2010 9:54:02 AM

2. genius, i love it.

Posted by: seamiek | Jul 16, 2010 9:55:42 AM

3. One of the few times I have seen racism close up was at a LDS Family History Center when one of their elders was busy saying terrible things about black men.

Posted by: homer | Jul 16, 2010 10:04:23 AM

4. In other news, Old Spice still smells like Old Spice.

Ewwww.

Posted by: Kurt | Jul 16, 2010 10:15:08 AM

5. Why no magic underwear? Also no mention that Joseph Smith was a con artist who was killed by a mob that stormed the jail he was held up in.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 16, 2010 10:18:22 AM

6. They have Black people at BYU?!

It's a pretty good riff on the the Old Spice commercial, but I don't believe that anyone Black would seriously *want* to go to BYU....

I call "Bullsh-t" on this one

Posted by: Terrance | Jul 16, 2010 10:29:24 AM

7. Hey, FYI, according to AP Style, the name of the Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." Not that it's important to show respect to the name, but when you don't include the full name properly, it makes you seem like you really don't know what you are talking about. And clearly you do.

Posted by: Mark in Portland | Jul 16, 2010 10:30:27 AM

8. Is it equally "difficult" to enjoy & promote the career of equally Mormon Brandon Flowers?

Posted by: smallhandff | Jul 16, 2010 10:43:37 AM

9. As for the library being named after Harold B. Lee, my grandfather was a friend of Lee's, and I remember meeting HBL. I think that both of them would be HORRIFIED at the actions of the mormon church in recent years. Harold B. Lee was a champion of education and independent thinking, and was frequently criticzed by other mormon big-shots for not telling BYU students to toe the party line.

Posted by: mmmsquirt | Jul 16, 2010 10:55:22 AM

10. We should treat people the way we want to be treated. Writing somewhat dismissively about the video because it was "made by a bunch of Mormon students" demonstrates a bias. Even if a majority of Mormans are bigoted against gay people, there are many who aren't. We shouldn't be dismissive of the whole religion. Anyway - just a small quibble about a great blog.

Posted by: JoeBlow | Jul 16, 2010 10:57:22 AM

11. Terriffic - he's getting good grades. Doesn't change the fact I'd rather have my toenails ripped out than hire a BYU grad.

Posted by: GoodForHim | Jul 16, 2010 11:14:52 AM

12. I dount any gay "wants" to go to BYU, but due to the high emphasis on families and pleasing their families, a lot of gay mormons do. Some think it will help cure them of the gay desease. I think it's ironic that this was filmed in the library and is now on a gay website. The two have more in common than what you would think. ;)

Posted by: BYUgay | Jul 16, 2010 11:23:27 AM

13. You will see a lot more ethnic minorities in LDS news. It's planned to be the new emphasis in the Mormon Church's missionary efforts.

I'm impressed with the student's production. Cudos to the students involved.

Ask a Mormon why this student's father probably was discriminated against in the not too distant past. Ask why. Ask why when there was never any doctrine in the LDS church that prevented African-Americans from having equal rights in their Temples. Ask why the LDS Church has never apologized for its past racism.

But that's not the focus of this thread on this blog.

Posted by: cowboy | Jul 16, 2010 11:50:59 AM

14. Ahh Mormons. I really don't understand the resentment here about them. They are kind, generous people who would never hurt a fly. I once lived next to two mormon missionaries. The taller one always gave me chocolates and pamphlets with pretty pictures and even gave me a bible. One day he invited me inside their house and even let me play in his room. Then he asked me to lie down on his bed and put his arms around me. Strangely I don't remember anything else beyond that point no matter how hard I try, but I'm sure we just watched TV or talked about religion. Oh, and did I mention I was just 8 years old when it happened?

Posted by: Dev | Jul 16, 2010 12:19:31 PM

15. As a gay BYU grad, I feel I have to speak up here. Not to defend the religion - feel free to bash that as much as you want.

I studied a lot in the Harold B. Lee library. You all will be happy to know that there's something in the air in that library that makes the men SUPER HORNY, me included. (Could it be...Satan?!) At times I had to conclude my studies and go somewhere else because of it.

I thought it was just me until my senior year when my roommate got a job with library security. He complained (and I fantasized) that they had at least 10 complaints of indecent exposure per week in the mens' bathrooms and that one time 5 security guards had to chase and tackle a guy who decided to streak on several floors. I'm sad I missed that - I know it would have helped me at least with my anatomy exams!

Posted by: Josh | Jul 16, 2010 1:26:26 PM

16. Never liked the Old Spice commercials in the first place so I'm not watching this video.

Posted by: Sam | Jul 16, 2010 2:11:10 PM

17. "We should treat people the way we want to be treated. Writing somewhat dismissively about the video because it was "made by a bunch of Mormon students" demonstrates a bias. Even if a majority of Mormans are bigoted against gay people, there are many who aren't. We shouldn't be dismissive of the whole religion. Anyway - just a small quibble about a great blog."

Yet another inelegantly reasoned comment from an "intelligent" person...I'm sure. So, as goes this argument, we shouldn't criticize any faith EVER because a slim minority of its members maybe aren't completely behind all that bigotry stuff that is supported by its majority BECAUSE OF THEIR FAITH!...their participation in that faith entails complicity in its consequences, so they're far from blame free...and moreso, faith needs to be criticized because for many rasons (it's irrational and compounds human suffering and death)...no more of this "if you criticize islam, you're a racist..." "If you criticize x religion, you're a bigot!" FUCK YOU, MOONBAT (disgrace to liberalism)! Faith is bigoted, and bigotry deserves--at the very least--harsh criticism.

And why shouldn't we be dismissive of an entire faith? It's ALL epistemically vacuous and unjustifiable FALSITY...and contributes to human suffering and inequality of lgbt americans (mormonism is the enemy of lgbt equality). I'm just glad most christians in the u.s. are uncomfortable around mormons, and it isn't considered "christianity"...because if you can't defeat bigots, let them defeat each other.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 16, 2010 3:10:58 PM

18. and josh proves why there isn't a single mormon comedian...and why there never will be. You people aren't funny! Corny!

Posted by: TANK | Jul 16, 2010 3:14:57 PM

19. Hilarious. "I'm on a cart."

Posted by: huh? | Jul 16, 2010 6:47:53 PM

20. Then Miss Sam BITCH don't!

Posted by: Buster | Jul 17, 2010 1:17:54 AM

21. The position of the LDS Church is frequently misrepresented.

The Church is pro-traditional marriage, but is not anti-gay.

The Church is in favor of preserving the traditional institution of marriage - a social construct which predates all other institutions, including government.

A majority of Americans hold the same views, and nowhere in the U.S. where the issue of same-sex marriage has come before the public for a vote has it been approved. In fact, it has been turned down in all 31 states in which it has been directly put to a popular vote.

The LDS Church is not anti-gay. On this issue the Church has stated, "No one is, or ever could be, excluded from the circle of God’s love or the extended arms of His Church, for we are all His beloved sons and daughters. As President Hinckley said: 'We regard you as our brothers and sisters.' "

8 out of 5 dentists agree.

Posted by: ziggymarley | Jul 17, 2010 3:05:59 AM

22. "The LDS Church is not anti-gay."

You keep saying that, but even you contradict it with "the church is for traditional marriage." The nazis weren't antigay...they just were for "traditional" (any sexuality that they deemed traditional...like marriage) sexualities. And by that standard, the catholic church isn't antigay, either...after all, they love the "sinner", too. You're crackers, arentcha...a raving loony. Uh huh.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 17, 2010 1:24:18 PM

23. "The Church is pro-traditional marriage, but is not anti-gay."

Being "pro-traditional marriage" IS being anti-gay. You are basically denying an entire minority of civil rights. If that is not "anti" then I don't know what is. Do you somehow think that being "anti" is only about about bashing and shooting people?

Oh, and you might want to research some of the official statements released by the LDS on homosexuality if you wish to spout nonsense defending a hateful (redundant) religion.

There are tons of statements, let me give you an example: "Homosexuality Is Sin: Next to the crime of murder comes the sin of sexual impurity." This was a pamphlet given out by this "not anti-gay" religion. Oh, they are quick to follow it up by saying that they welcome everyone, a good example is the "We regard you as our brothers and sisters." bullshit. Of course, it's an answer that doesnt really answer the question. The next line after that answer is "AS LONG AS YOU DONT ACT ON IT"

The official stand of the LDS is still that homosexuality is a sin even in committed relationships. One of the reasons they give is because this is done outside of marriage. HMMMMM. So you say that gays aren't allowed to marry, but it is sinful to be "act" on homosexual feelings because it is done outside marriage, but of course allowing commited gay couples to marry is WRONG. If you cannot see the sheer stupidity of this argument then I suggest you take up some philosophy classes to hopefully improve your logical thinking.

LDS teaches hate. PERIOD.

Posted by: Dev | Jul 17, 2010 1:52:19 PM

24. "Terriffic - he's getting good grades. Doesn't change the fact I'd rather have my toenails ripped out than hire a BYU grad."

Nice comment. I wonder why it's okay for people to say that about Mormons, but somehow Mormoms are the bigots and hateful ones? I see a bit of hypocrisy there. I've never heard a Mormon say they hate gay people, but there sure is a lot of hating on Mormons.

PS - I would probably look into hiring some BYU grads, since you can't seem to spell "terrific" correctly.

Posted by: Jessica | Jul 18, 2010 2:08:28 AM

25. Because they are hateful bigots, you stupid cunt.

Now go sell your 'love' and 'tolerance' dressed up as religious bigotry somewhere else, you ridiculous mormon freak. And you ARE a freak...and the vast majority of christians believe that.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 18, 2010 2:13:39 AM