Boycotts | Minnesota | News | Republican Party | Target | Tom Emmer

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Mom Boycotts Target Over Anti-Gay Campaign Donation

Tget

Randi Reitan is a mother of a gay son and grandmother who shops at Target but won't anymore because of its anti-gay donation to Minnesota Forward PAC, which contributed to ads for anti-gay gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer.

She took her protest directly to the store, and shot this video.

Says Reitan: "They've lost that $226.32. And they've lost every purchase from my family. What's important in life is people. I love the people in my life. I love them more than anything I could buy at this store. I'm going to boycott Target until they make this right."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Note: There is now a Facebook group pushing a Target boycott.

Previously...
Target, HRC Refuse to Budge Over Campaign Contributions Funding Anti-Gay MN Gubernatorial Candidate Tom Emmer [tr]

Tget1

Comments

1. good for her!

Posted by: KFLO | Jul 28, 2010 8:02:30 AM

2. What a thoughtful, well-calculated protest. Heartfelt, specific and totally professional. Let's have more. And let's hope Target listens.

Posted by: Ron | Jul 28, 2010 8:02:49 AM

3. I have mixed feelings about boycotts - on the other side you have folks pushing for boycotts on companies who have pro-gay stances. The big difference here of course is we're right... LOL... but seriously, Corporate America as a whole has embraced inclusion and diversity. It is just good business and they know it. That is why they do it.

Here you have an instance of Target making contributions to someone who apparently is pro-business while at the same time is anti-gay. That being the case, one would think anti-gay policies in a state would decrease the number of gays wanting to live there, which would affect the talent pool. This is why a few years ago, Eli Lilly the large pharma in Indiana broke with policy and lobbied AGAINST the anti-gay marriage amendment being considered for the state (it failed btw).

One question I have is why Target is so afraid of the other candidate?

That all said, bravo to this lady for making the effort. If I were Target, I wouldn't like all the attention and would be thinking of how to gracefully fix it. At a minimum, they should be applying pressure to the anti-gay guy to change his stance.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 28, 2010 8:21:26 AM

4. she made me wish i had a mother like her.

Posted by: Bosie | Jul 28, 2010 8:26:59 AM

5. You go girl! I with you!!

Posted by: Dave | Jul 28, 2010 8:32:46 AM

6. I agree this is a tricky situation. Target does have a good reputation in the LGBT community but decided to make this donation.

Its hard for me to boycott because of the millions it pours into the community, especially the arts (which is my field). I would not have a job without the specific funding the provide to my non-profit.

There are a lot of LGBT friendly companies who donate to right-wing candidates and organizations (mostly because it is in their business interest). Disney is one of these companies but we all know they have taken crap from religious groups for allowing Gay Days to occur. For them it is a Catch-22. Big corporations are extremely complex.

I doubt Target will take their money back, but if they donated to a LGBT organization or backed an important piece of equality legislation, I could see forgiving them.

We should focus energy on the numerous companies (like EXXON-MOBIL) who refuse to even allow their gay employees the same rights as their straight employees.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 28, 2010 8:43:02 AM

7. Typical leftist, liberal do-gooder ... well spoken, thoughtful, polite, kind, practices rather than preaches real human values, we need more people like her to stand up and be counted.

Posted by: nyrkr | Jul 28, 2010 8:49:20 AM

8. What a wonderful mother to have. She gets how corporate-owned politicians can harm her family and she's having none of it.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jul 28, 2010 9:05:17 AM

9. What a great mom :)

Posted by: Frank | Jul 28, 2010 9:39:22 AM

10. As some people say, this could be tricky given that Target has some pro-gay stances; on the other hand, most corporations will play the political field so that no matter who is in power, they'll have a friend in that halcyon hall. However, when a child misbehaves, no matter how good a child they may be, you have to punish them. They have to learn that their actions have repercussions.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jul 28, 2010 9:40:04 AM

11. Everyone should go in and buy thousands of dollars of items and then immediately return them. The cost just to return and restock would be so over whelming.

Posted by: MIke | Jul 28, 2010 9:45:29 AM

12. I sort of feel bad for the employees who had to deal with her since it's not their fault, BUT I'm very glad that she filmed the event so that she could send her message to a wider audience. As others put it was calculated and well thought out. Good for her!

Posted by: Matthew | Jul 28, 2010 9:52:04 AM

13. She's "a mother of a gay son and grandmother"? Seriously?

Posted by: Anon | Jul 28, 2010 9:55:07 AM

14. go grandma

though I would have taken the shorter route...after all the items were rung up, say, "oh I changed my mind, I can't support Target anymore." Would cause more havoc than returning at customer service.

hmmm Target flash mob anyone?

Posted by: Qjersey | Jul 28, 2010 10:01:52 AM

15. "I love the people in my life. I love them more than anything I could buy at this store. I'm going to boycott Target until they make this right."

Amen...

Posted by: stephen | Jul 28, 2010 10:15:45 AM

16. She and her gay son were featured in the 2007 documentary "For the Bible Tells Me So." They protest outside Dobson's Focus on the Family "campus" and get arrested. It's a must-see.

Posted by: acolyte | Jul 28, 2010 10:21:11 AM

17. Good for her!

Posted by: Vito J. Oliver | Jul 28, 2010 10:21:39 AM

18. Signed the Facebook page to protest an hour ago and was contacted by ABC news immediately.

I just got off the phone interview with them and I would encourage you to join the petition. I told them my kids and my money will no longer enter a Target store if they continue to enter in to the political arena.

Make your voice heard.

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 28, 2010 11:12:40 AM

19. There is another element to this. Tom Emmer also supports legislation to have local police detain illegal immigrants for deportation. I hear a lot of Spanish spoken at Midway Target, and I'll bet some of those customers are illegal. Target takes their money, then uses a share of it to support candidates who would have those people treated as criminals.

Posted by: P Nelson | Jul 28, 2010 12:10:36 PM

20. @ P Nelson, "I hear a lot of Spanish spoken at Midway Target, and I'll bet some of those customers are illegal". God, you are a moron!!!

Posted by: GIO | Jul 28, 2010 1:51:18 PM

21. Wanted to introduce the Target CEO's letter to employees into the discussion:

A Message to Target Team Members from Gregg Steinhafel, Target Chairman, President & CEO

Dear Target Team,

In the past week I’ve heard from some of you, including our GLBT team members, regarding your concerns with Target’s recent contributions to MN Forward, an independent expenditure committee that is supported by a broad coalition of large and small businesses throughout the state, including the Minnesota Business Partnership and the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce.

As you know, Target has a history of supporting organizations and candidates, on both sides of the aisle, who seek to advance policies aligned with our business objectives, such as job creation and economic growth. MN Forward is focused specifically on those issues and is committed to supporting candidates from any party who will work to improve the state's job climate. However, it is also important to note that we rarely endorse all advocated positions of the organizations or candidates we support, and we do not have a political or social agenda.

In the context of this contribution, some of you have raised questions regarding our commitment to diversity, and more specifically, the GLBT community. Let me be very clear, Target’s support of the GLBT community is unwavering, and inclusiveness remains a core value of our company. Some current examples of that support include:

• Domestic Partner Benefits
    • Sponsorship of Twin Cities Pride
    • Sponsorship of Out & Equal Workplace Summit

In addition, Target’s rating of 100% on the 2009 and 2010 Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index further demonstrates the reputation our company has earned.

As CEO, I consider it my responsibility to create conditions in which Target can thrive, and I promise to do so with the best interests of our guests, team, shareholders and communities in mind. I appreciate your input and understanding.

Sincerely,

Gregg Steinhafel
    Chairman, President and CEO
    ¤ Target

Posted by: TheseThreeTombs | Jul 28, 2010 2:04:06 PM

22. Gregg Steinhafel is not very candid with his employees. There has never been an endorsement of a political candidate by Target, especially before all political parties have finalized selection of candidates for the office, before the Supreme Court decided Citizens. You endorse the social agenda of a candidate when you pay for the type of ad that MN Forward has plastered on TV endorsing Tom Emmer. You support his homophobic record, his platform of lowering minimum wages for employees who get tips, and his support for the unconstituitional Arizona law aimed at Hispanics. To suggest to your gay, lesbian or transgendered employees that you both support diversity and pay for a supportive ad for Tom Emmer is absolutely a contradiction! Follow the money!

Posted by: Robert Langford | Jul 28, 2010 3:37:17 PM

23. Target wants to open two stores in San Francisco. I know MANY gays who are thrilled with this idea... This news kinda rains on the parade and hope the locals will consider this as we look to make it easier for Target to enter our city...

Posted by: Tom | Jul 28, 2010 6:00:27 PM

24. Google search MN Forward and you will see that BestBuy also contributed 100K.

Posted by: SeattleSez | Jul 29, 2010 12:08:39 AM

25. I was almost in tears when I saw and heard her genuine emotion when she said that the people in her life mean more than anything she can buy at that store. I agree. Despite Target's claim of respect when it comes to GLBT issues they dropped the ball when came to putting their money where their mouth is and they need to make this right. As a black man I say to my fellow GLBT brothers and sisters that this is a civil rights issue and don't let anyone tell you differently. Target needs to realize you cannot say you feel my pain and you respect me and then give your money to the folks that would have me sit at the back of the bus. So to paraphrase this beautiful human being - my self repect means more to me than anything I can buy at that chain. I hope others will follow suit.

Posted by: erick johnson | Jul 29, 2010 1:39:44 AM