Nature | News | Surfing

Watch: Surfer Films Two Massive Sharks Circling His Board

Sanonofre

If you were paddle surfing and two massive sharks circled you for 15 minutes, would you return to the same spot the next day on just your paddle board to try and film them?

Shark Chuck Patterson did, off San Onofre State Beach in California:

"The day before I shot this video, I was SUP [stand up paddle] surfing with a couple friends and 2 sharks circled us for about 15 minutes. The next day, I decided to go back out at around the same time and take my camera mounted on a 10 ft pole and do some exploring. Sure enough within 5 minutes, a 9 ft shark came out of nowhere and circled twice and slapped his tail on my board before disappearing. Then a minute later, a 7 ft young juvenile Great White swam circles around me for 12 minutes."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via rats off)

Comments

1. Massive? Great footage but that thing is not all that massive!

Posted by: chris | Aug 12, 2010 11:52:29 AM

2. I'll be at the bar...

Posted by: Dave | Aug 12, 2010 11:53:01 AM

3. dude, I watch all the stuff about people being in shark cages and stuff and think it's pretty awesome, but watching this actually raised my heart rate a bit!

Posted by: Bradford | Aug 12, 2010 11:55:14 AM

4. I want to know what camera he used. cool fisheye effect and it could go underwater ...

and isn't San Onofre a nude beach?

Posted by: Alejandro | Aug 12, 2010 12:09:48 PM

5. Massive enough to guarantee my ass wouldn't be out there the next day!

Posted by: AERES | Aug 12, 2010 12:10:52 PM

6. I would poop my pants. Are sharks attracted to poop?

Posted by: crispy | Aug 12, 2010 12:13:58 PM

7. The shark circled him for 12 minutes? Why didn't he paddle his ass to shore?

Posted by: joseph | Aug 12, 2010 12:14:12 PM

8. Obviously, the sharks did it to be on youtube.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 12, 2010 12:15:48 PM

9. The guy has balls, but jeez, is he eager to be a hot pocket or something? Those fuckers chomp first and ask questions later.

Posted by: MikeMick | Aug 12, 2010 12:23:08 PM

10. "I would poop my pants. Are sharks attracted to poop?"

Yeah. It's known as "shark sugar."

Posted by: Dusty | Aug 12, 2010 12:23:50 PM

11. Yikes! We were snorkeling in La Jolla cove with Leopard Sharks (harmless) last weekend. Glad I didn't see this video before then!

Posted by: Markles | Aug 12, 2010 12:31:13 PM

12. The instant I found a link to this stunning The Top 12 Reasons To Burn A Quran On 9/11 piece on Hubpages I determined that Towleroad's visitors really must be able to pass judgement on this: http://hubpages.com/hub/The-12-Top-Reasons-To-Burn-A-Quran-On-911

Posted by: Cammie Novara | Aug 12, 2010 12:42:35 PM

13. I must be in a great mood today - because "i would poop my pants" guy totally cracked me up for about 2 minutes. nice work. those sharks are SCARY.

Posted by: JoeyB | Aug 12, 2010 12:55:16 PM

14. Awesome footage. Yes, Great Whites are large and powerful apex predators, but they are also beautiful and endangered animals that are worthy of our respect, awe and protection more than our fear. Only 70-80 people are killed annually by sharks worldwide- tens of thousands of sharks, on the other hand, are killed worldwide by people.Great Whites and their kin have a lot more to fear from us than we do of them, in the long run.

Posted by: wirrrn | Aug 12, 2010 1:18:36 PM

15. I think sharks are wonderful and they are endangered. Buuuut I like having limbs. I wouldn't have paddled back out there. Taken a boat sure.

Posted by: cmh | Aug 12, 2010 2:29:27 PM

16. @CAMMIE NOVARA Please go fuck yourself.

As for the surfer, I think he is incredibly lucky that either one of the sharks didn't decide to take a chunk out of him. I do admire his courage to go back out there the day after his first sightings. This video made my heart race just a little bit. Nerve-racking!

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 12, 2010 2:36:12 PM

17. I think the guy is fucking nuts!

Posted by: John Simpson | Aug 12, 2010 4:01:29 PM

18. @ Chris....men esp. str8 men always think things are bigger then they are!! ie; massive!!

However...I would not be anywhere close to those suckers!!

Posted by: mnrocko | Aug 12, 2010 4:25:05 PM

19. I've seen enough shark shows to know that surfers on boards have the outline that is similar to seals to stupid sharks. These sharks were just smarter once they got a good look. It's also why one is more likely to be attacked either at dawn or dusk when the visibility is less, not in the middle of the day.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 12, 2010 6:17:34 PM

20. More people in the world are bitten by New Yorkers every year than sharks. 81% of victims attacked by sharks suffered only minor injuries. However, 120 millions sharks are killed every year for shark's fin soup, which is a tasteless thing (chicken stock needs to be added to it) and only the fin is used. The rest is thrown away.

Courtesy of Stephen Fry's QI

Posted by: Philippe Landman | Aug 12, 2010 7:06:43 PM

21. I would have been terrified, but this just proves they aren't the vicious wanton bloodthirsty killers we usually think they are. Not even a nibble of the surfer. TWICE

Posted by: AJ | Aug 12, 2010 7:36:43 PM

22. Did this insanely brave nitwit ever stop to think what might happen if one of the sharks decided to capsize his board?

Posted by: Jay | Aug 12, 2010 8:28:37 PM

23. Nothing focuses your attention like a great white. This I know from experience. A buddy and I were scuba diving off the coast of Monterey, California a few years ago and we ran into a great white who swam around us for a few minutes and then disappeared. Needless to say we worked our way back to shore and decided to call it a day. I respect their place in nature as an apex predator and they are beautiful to watch, but as I am prone to say when I dive off the California coast, "it only takes one great white to ruin a perfectly good day."

Posted by: wilburinla | Aug 12, 2010 9:25:52 PM

24. Somali-music.com is committed to protecting your privacy online. We are also committed to providing you with the very best experience we can on our web site. In order to enhance your experience at our sites we gather certain personal information about you that helps us customize our content to your tastes and preferences.

Posted by: somali music | Aug 13, 2010 5:48:42 AM

25. lmao @ Crispy!

(What's up with these trolls postings links for shit no one cares about? And it's actually doing the opposite of what they want; It makes us NOT wanting to go there! Morons...)

Oh well, have a great day all. No, most ;)

Posted by: TheNiebur | Aug 13, 2010 8:48:18 AM