Calvin Klein | Fitness | Marc Jacobs | News

BigGayDeal.com

Calvin Klein Talks to Marc Jacobs About Why He's Always Naked

Jacobs

Calvin Klein interviews Marc Jacobs in the new issue of Harper's Bazaar. He asks Jacobs about his propensity for not wearing clothes.

Jacobs explains:

"I had 21 percent body fat four years ago. I was in and out of the hospital because I had flare-ups of ulcerative colitis. I’d be in the office for 16 hours a day, six of which were in the bathroom because I was so ill. I ate nothing but junk food. Basically, the doctor said, 'We’re going to have to remove your colon.' And I said, “I’m not doing that!” So I went to a nutritionist named Lindsey Duncan, and he said, “If you are 100 percent compliant with what I tell you to do, you will be in better shape than you’ve ever been in, and you will not have to have your colon removed.” I said, 'Okay, sign me up.' He said no caffeine, no sugar, no white flour, no dairy from a cow, take açaí every morning, goji, noni, mangosteen, et cetera, omega-3, wheatgrass shots with ginger. The list is endless...

...He said, 'You gotta laugh every day, you gotta rest every day, and you have to perspire every day, which means you have to go to the gym.' I hadn’t stepped foot in a gym. Well, I hadn’t walked a block in 20 years. So I started, and like everything — I say this, and I hope it’s not misinterpreted, but I like what makes me feel better. That probably doesn’t come as a shock. When I started to feel better, and when my stomach wasn’t hurting, and when I wasn’t on the toilet all day, and when I could look at myself in the mirror, and when I went from 21 percent body fat to 5 percent body fat and I had muscle, I was like, This is great! When guys started looking at me and asking me out on dates, I felt way better about myself. So it was hard to keep my clothes on, actually."

Comments

1. Does quiet confidence really turn you on, stephen? Thank you for that information. I don't think I could complete my day without knowing that. I feel enriched, like uranium.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 2:27:28 PM

2. The actual conversation went more like this:

Marc: Say, Doc, will smoking help me lose weight?

Doc: Ahh, yes, but...

Marc: Bingo!

Acai and Noni are somewhat toxic and therefore act like a laxative, so take them with caution (and they taste bad too).

Posted by: anon | Aug 11, 2010 2:32:03 PM

3. "Dude looks sketchy! Tats are gross, and he's old. Once you're fifty, who cares?"

Back in the day, gay guys used to say that about turning thirty.

Posted by: elg | Aug 11, 2010 3:03:49 PM

4. Stephen said:

"And by the way, to all the people out there that think a daily diet of cocaine and cigarettes will turn you from an overweight schlub into someone that looks like Marc Jacobs, I have news for you. It aint that simple. If it was, every overweight "fatty boom batty" on the planet would do it."

No, true, but they will curb your appetite. A healthy diet of meth will also melt the fat away. I have known people who have lost significant amounts of fat doing all of the above. None of those will give you muscles, and I have no doubt that he DOES work out, but I find it highly unlikely he lost all of that body fat 'naturally.' Not impossible, but unlikely. And given the fact that he has obvious pec implants and a very public substance abuse history, I don't think it's an unrealistic suspicion. I'm not saying I don't think he looks good, I just don't think he did it the way he said he did. Like Star Jones' bullshit about how she didn't have gastric bypass...until she admitted she did. We're not fucking stupid, and Marc isn't sitting around chiseling his midsection drinking wheatgrass protein shakes and doing a few ab exercises. Not after a lifetime of excess and sloth. 99.99% guaranteed.

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 3:07:28 PM

5. Wow, I finally realize that the majority of discrimination we face as a group does not come from outside our community but from within. With such divisiveness, we'll never see full equality. Very sad.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 11, 2010 3:22:38 PM

6. Go to hell, elg! They still say that...well, it's a long fall to the bottom, but a quick ride. I'll be getting the most of it by drinking strawberry milkshakes and smoking in the parking lot of my gym instead of going inside.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 3:28:04 PM

7. ============
    "All that wealth, all that talent, and still vain, obsessive, insecure, and lusting for approval from men.

Kind of sad, actually."
    ===========
    I agree! That's why I dropped the wealth and talent! (Drrrump.. Chish!) Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Re: guys who don't shower at the gym -- first of all, that behavior just screams mental case to me unless they live in the same building. Second of all, it also usually means that this jerkwad is walking the gym floor in shoes he wore out on the street. ACK! GAG! Gross! Far more disgusting than seeing Marc Jacobs naked.

Posted by: Name2 | Aug 11, 2010 3:38:18 PM

8. Oh Tank...you're much more amusing when you have an actual point. The "bitching about shit people never said" stuff just doesn't become you...

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 3:38:35 PM

9. Honestly, anyone who praises the movie Arthur has no room to talk about being old! I mean, seriously, when did that movie come out, the sixties? LOL. Stop being old, Tank.

Posted by: asdf | Aug 11, 2010 3:40:17 PM

10. I didn't see Arthur at the movies...or when it came out, as I was an infant. But the point remains that if you didn't enjoy Arthur, you have no taste in movies (not your taste and mine...just no taste whatsoever). So if I said that I really enjoyed north by northwest, I have to be old? You're consistently stupid, asdf.

What stuff am I bitching about that people never said, ugh? Do try to keep up.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 3:49:31 PM

11. But you're still smarting from being proven wrong by me about pilot salaries.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 3:50:28 PM

12. You guys are a bunch of "NARCISSISTIC" bitches!

Posted by: Brains | Aug 11, 2010 4:01:10 PM

13. Pilot salaries? I believe you must be confusing me with someone else. I've never claimed to know anything about pilot salaries, and certainly not on this website. Dumbass. Can't even keep track of what you're arguing about with who. Yeah, THAT doesn't make you look like you have obsessive anger or anything, lol. Lord your little Towleroad "successes" over someone who might be suitably impressed. Someone with as little real life you as you have.

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 4:01:40 PM

14. It doesn't matter if you saw it in the theater! Arthur is a movie about old people, doing old people things, made FOR old people. There ain't a person (at least not a socially accepted one) under 50 who likes that movie! You're the very thing you claim to despise. Now shut the fuck up and drink your prune juice.

Posted by: asdf | Aug 11, 2010 4:09:31 PM

15. Mmmhmmm, ugh. Whatever you say...

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 4:09:49 PM

16. Alright Tank, then prove it. Find the post and show me. And remember, anyone can type an unoriginal name like 'Ugh' into the name field.

Also...whether or not Arthur is a 'young' or 'old' movie, it is pretty terrible. And don't even get me started on Arthur 2. (Yes, I only watched it for Liza. I AM that gay, lol)

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 4:14:44 PM

17. Huh? I'm sorry, you no longer matter and therefore, you're invisible to me, ugh.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 5:04:13 PM

18. Yep. AKA, "I couldn't find it." Thought so.

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 5:08:51 PM

19. That other shoe is never going to drop. Perhaps...just maybe...that airplane pilot salary comment wasn't directed atcha...but asdf. Now go back to sucking.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 5:28:55 PM

20. I see. Rather than clarifying the vaguely-aimed multiple insults in your post, you just decided to engage and be an asshole. You're right, "you win" lol

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 5:33:59 PM

21. Did you just imply that I'm some internet troll, some comment section loser on another "gay blog",ugh? I'll have you know that that hurts my feelings GREATLY. I demand satisfaction in the form of a sincere apology immediately, and a commitment to civil discourse from here on out...douche.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 5:50:35 PM

22. Tank - i thought gay men were worthless after 35?

in any case, i'm sure i speak for many when i say i look forward to the day when you are forced to kill yourself because you are no longer young. :(

Posted by: gomez | Aug 11, 2010 8:05:56 PM

23. I am chubby. I get my picture taken and Facebooked all the time (not cute!). Not too long ago I read an old article where Jacobs talked about his lack of confidence and the difference a "new" body made in his life. I started trying right then and there to change my body and have been slipping lately. Thanks for posting this because I'm jumping back on the wagon.

What's wrong with being accomplished and hot? We ALL like it when someone thinks we're hot. No shame in that. When I get to my goal weight I don't think I'll always have my shirt off, but, I won't be hiding my mannies in loose shirts and blazers in 100 degree heat anymore, that's for sure!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Aug 11, 2010 8:15:03 PM

24. Tank - I'm over 50. I'm hotter than you ever were or ever will be. Thanks for proving your ignorance (again) and have a nice day.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Aug 11, 2010 11:44:12 PM

25. Nah, rocks. I'm so hot I need...to take some aspirin to reduce this fever...ouch... Anyway! Gomez, who's advocating forced suicide or murders past a certain expiration date? What is the gay community some version of children of the corn? LMAO! Someone's comin' for me...better than at me or on me, I suppose. Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 11:54:35 PM