Charlie Crist | Florida | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Charlie Crist Clarifies Remarks on Same-Sex Marriage Ban

Crist Last night, closeted Florida governor Charlie Crist clarified remarks he made earlier in the day to Ed Henry on CNN's State of the Union, in which he expressed his support for a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

Said Crist in the clarification:

"In an interview that aired today, I was not discussing an amendment to the U.S. Constitution banning same-sex marriage, which I do not support, but rather reaffirming my position regarding Florida’s constitutional ban that I articulated while running for Governor. In fact, the interviewer’s question reflected just that. I am fully supportive of civil unions and will continue to be as a United States Senator, but believe marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman."

Watch the Crist State of the Union clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think what he meant to say was, "I believe marriage is a sacred institution between a self-loathing closeted gay man forcing himself to pretend to be straight so he can be a conservative politician, and a gold-digging whore of a woman that will pretend to be in love with a gay man just so she can be in the spotlight."

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 30, 2010 11:03:40 AM

2. What a sad human being.

Posted by: Chris K | Aug 30, 2010 11:03:45 AM

3. Apparently he likes to flip-flop.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 30, 2010 11:11:57 AM

4. so, he does not support amending the constitution to discriminate (except in fla)

Posted by: r | Aug 30, 2010 11:24:33 AM

5. he makes me wanna vomit....come on..anyone must have stories of him and HIS SECRET LIFE & TRYST.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Aug 30, 2010 11:25:24 AM

6. Where's Mr. Poe when he matters?

Posted by: Antwan Robitusin | Aug 30, 2010 11:25:32 AM

7. He is such a repulsive hypocrite.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 30, 2010 11:40:49 AM

8. Po-TAY-to/Po-TAH-to!

Scumbag/Douchebag!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 30, 2010 11:43:20 AM

9. If the moron had ever read Amendment 2, now a part of Florida's state constitution because, as he acknowledges, the support of people like himself, he'd know that it bans not only marriage rights for gay and lesbian people but also civil unions. He can't claim to support civil unions in Florida after suuporting an amendment of the State's constitution which banned them!

Posted by: Patric | Aug 30, 2010 11:47:53 AM

10. Like a State ban on Same Sex Marriage is any better. Everyday I wake up here in Florida I feel discriminated against because of Proposition 2. This type of political ambiguity on what is clearly a civil rights issue, is unacceptable and deplorable. Shame on you Gov. Crist.

Posted by: Rafael | Aug 30, 2010 12:00:39 PM

11. Actually, Charlie doesn't mind if we get married, so lets all get married to the woman he married. She's apparently up for anything, including closet cases.

I gotta believe marrying an out gay man would be easier for her, fewer lies to remember.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 30, 2010 12:15:26 PM

12. "Sacred" should not be a reason for law in the US. That would be the establishment of a state religion. Duh.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 30, 2010 12:35:16 PM

13. I hope all progressives/moderates in Florida will remember this in November. Time to end his political career. I mean, seriously, what's the difference on our equality between Crist and Rubio? Zero, zip, zilch.

Posted by: Terry | Aug 30, 2010 1:16:23 PM

14. What a piece of shit. Did HOMOSEXUAL Florida Governor Charlie Crist get married so that he could have MORE RIGHTS than a civil union provides?

Posted by: Queer Equality Revolution | Aug 30, 2010 2:11:20 PM

15. Charlie has flipped so many times he isn't sure which flip rings his chimes

Posted by: Bear2bare | Aug 30, 2010 2:49:03 PM

16. yuck!

Posted by: Dave | Aug 30, 2010 4:18:41 PM

17. I'm so glad I went to the rally where he declared he was running as an Independent and boo'd him.

Posted by: Jason (the commenter) | Aug 30, 2010 11:22:50 PM