Florida AG McCollum Can’t Recall Urging Ban on Gay Foster Parents

Florida gubernatorial candidate Attorney General Bill McCollum tried to distance himself on Monday from recent remarks to the Florida Baptist Witness that the state's gay adoption laws should be expanded to ban gay foster parents.

Mccollum Said McCollum: "I have no recollection of my specific words. I’m not trying to parse with you; I just don’t. But I’m telling you what I believe today, and that is, that the laws are inconsistent, and that there needs to be a review.”

McCollum's words were, according to the FBW: "I think that it would be advisable [to expand the law]. I really do not think that we should have homosexuals guiding our children. I think that it’s a lifestyle that I don’t agree with. I realize a lot of people do. It’s my personal faith, religious faith, that I don’t believe that the people who do this should be raising our children. It’s not a natural thing. You need a mother and a father. You need a man and a woman. That’s what God intended."

Comments

1. Bill T says

I hope voters pay attention when elected officials say they can’t remember things – kinda puts them out of the realm of needing to making decisions for others and they should not be re-elected…

2. TampaGary says

I presume the poll numbers still show him losing to Rick Scott even after playing the gay card and pulling in his bud, Jeb Bush. Maybe he’s going after the moderates now with his selective memory. Problem is, Rick Scott is likely as conservative if not worse regarding these issues. I urge my fellow Floridians to support Alex Sink.

3. Drew says

I know Florida takes the cake regarding political ‘intellektuals,’ but I sure hope they wise up and kick this asshole to the curb. Alternatively, into the Everglades.

4. Rucka says

I believe that right handed people make better parents. I have no proof, but it’s what I believe. Based on my personal belief of the percieved inferiority of left handed people in general (the left hand IS reported to be the ‘hand of the devil), left handed people should not be allowed to get married or adopt.

5. bobbyjoe says

I think I might have recently said that Bill McCollum is “a lying sack of sh*t,” though at the moment I have no recollection of my specific words.

6. TampaZeke says

He’s RIGHT! The laws ARE inconsistent! It makes no sense whatsoever that a gay person can foster a child from birth for 18 years but gays are considered unfit to adopt.

Where he gets it wrong is in his proposed solution to bring the two standards into line.

He wants to make the foster standard meet the adoption standard when he SHOULD be working to bring the adoption standard into line with the foster standard.