Chord Overstreet | Chris Colfer | Glee | Playing Gay | Television

Glee's Kurt Hummel to Date Star Quarterback

Glee

Jane Lynch basically confirmed that, as suspected, Chord Overstreet has been cast as Kurt Hummel's boyfriend on Glee.

Marc Malkin reports:

"They've cast him already," Jane Lynch told us last night at the Audi and Chopard Emmy party when we asked about Kurt's much-anticpiated love interest. "He becomes the new star quarterback and he's going to be Kurt's boyfriend."

While Lynch said she couldn't remember the name of the actor who is playing Kurt's beau, she described the lucky guy as "a good looking kid."

"He's tall, boyish with straight blonde hair and big fat, pouty lips," she said.

Comments

1. I'm just hoping Chord's character will be willing to stand up to the rest of the football team and whomever. Maybe it'll take Kurt to teach him how even?

Posted by: Rob | Aug 24, 2010 10:09:05 AM

2. Yeah. Cuz that would happen.

Posted by: MarkDC | Aug 24, 2010 10:15:57 AM

3. is chord gay in real life as chris is? that would be great if this is an opportunity to cast the few out actors.

Posted by: me | Aug 24, 2010 10:18:45 AM

4. Ye course he's gay, he's far to pretty not to be.

Posted by: Jake | Aug 24, 2010 10:46:50 AM

5. Considering he's a football player and the writers write the show like a 12-year old in 1986 would, I'm guessing he'll be closeted. But it might be interesting if he stayed that way. I don't need to see another heavy-handed coming out story.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 24, 2010 10:52:33 AM

6. Mmm, those lips!

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Aug 24, 2010 11:08:06 AM

7. Another intellectual comment from MarkDC

Posted by: Pete | Aug 24, 2010 11:26:23 AM

8. guy, do a little research, eh? chord overstreet is one of several children of country music singer and writer paul overstreet. if he is gay, he certainly is not out at this time.

as i understand the scuttlebutt for the character, he is supposed to be comfortably out to start with, defying convention, but that remains to be seen.

Posted by: jack | Aug 24, 2010 11:39:11 AM

9. Chord has the face of an angel.

Maybe having a boyfriend will allow Kurt's character to be a little less snippy.

Posted by: sparks | Aug 24, 2010 12:27:40 PM

10. @ ME I love this site, I am gay, but why do you hope that actor is gay in "real-life"? So the commenting, piss elegant, judgmental BITCHES on this site can disect him and tear him apart? Even if he is gay, he is in for it on this site. If he supports us, he will still find severe critics here. Not with me though.

Posted by: SONNIE | Aug 24, 2010 1:22:01 PM

11. @sonnie, because it's been well-documented that gay (out) actors have a hard time getting roles. and because the millions of closeted tweens out there might not realize that gay people can be football players, etc. if the actor is straight in real life it will be a confirmation of the thought that gay = chris colfer, insted of gay = diversity just like any other group.

Posted by: me | Aug 24, 2010 1:35:50 PM

12. Annoying, simply because its pandering is so obvious. "And now the out girly gay character is dating the CAPTAIN OF THE FOOTBALL TEAM!!! Because of course, wasn't that your DREAM FANTASTY when YOU were the girly gay guy in high school?"

Um, no. And it wasn't for a lot of guys I know. And as MarkInDC said, it would never fucking happen. Annoying. Ugh.

Glee was never a good show, but at least it used to be enjoyable. You know, back when they would actually pay to license some decent music and it wasn't so obsessed with being Ryan Murphy's gay wet dream and worshipping all of his idols with tribute shows. The finale was mostly satisfying but most of the episodes leading up to Regionals were a chore. It has another season at most before the gays (and surely, Lea Michele) abandon it.

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 24, 2010 1:39:25 PM

13. @ ME, Well said, I see your point. Unlike the average JOE BLOW who can't distinguish between reality and ficticious characters, actors should know that, because you play a gay character, does not need to scare the hell out of you. I am an actor, so I know this. Theatre, not Hollywierd. I could play a football player, or a whatever. (Don't want to step on any toes.) Oh well, i'm done with this.

Posted by: SONNIE | Aug 24, 2010 1:56:02 PM

14. Ryan has already revealed that Sam is going to be openly gay. They'll be the new power couple of WMHS and prom kings and kings.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Aug 24, 2010 1:59:54 PM

15. Annoying+ Self-Important + Bitchy = Ryan Murphy
    Watch/Vomit/Die

Posted by: Andy Hofler | Aug 24, 2010 2:44:38 PM

16. Oh, PLEASE YES! Let it be so! I was hoping for him to be the casting.

My secret crush in highschool was a member of the wrestling team, who looked somewhat like Hugh Jackman, and at whom I could barely manage to stutter intelligibly.

Now they have my full attention.

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Aug 24, 2010 2:45:34 PM

17. He looks an awful lot like Macaulay Culkin.

Posted by: Alan E. | Aug 24, 2010 3:56:34 PM

18. "Yeah. Cuz that would happen."

Right, because "Glee" and pretty much every other musical ever made are all about the hardcore realism.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Aug 24, 2010 4:23:01 PM

19. Whatever. I hooked up with the captain of the football team. Were we out then, no. Was it effing hot, yes. These hook-ups are happening all around the country, let's see how it plays out in Hollywood...

Posted by: RDUB | Aug 24, 2010 4:25:29 PM

20. @RDUB: "let's see how it plays out in Hollywood..."

Maybe for once a "happy" gay love story? There's not a lot of 'em out there.

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Aug 24, 2010 5:09:08 PM

21. I loved loved loved Glee during the first part of last season. The second half just wasn't the same, it was all gimmicks and pandering to the audience. The strongest points of the show have always been when it tried to be at least somewhat realistic - mostly with Kurt's character. But near the end of the season it just started to feel way to Lifetime movie of the week.

As a somewhat closeted Kurt-like character in high school I would have loved to have hooked-up with the hot quarterback, but it would never have happened in the small town America that I was from. Actually the only thing that really bothers me about the show is how the kids are instantly and flawlessly able to perform all their routines. I was in show choir all throughout high school and we were state champions and we worked our fucking asses off. I know, I know it's a tv show and musical tv show, no less, but it feels all too American Idol snap of the fingers with no hard work.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Aug 24, 2010 5:43:00 PM

22. Question: Doesn't the straight audience hope the actor playing the straight role is straight in real life? Or just ASSUME the actor is straight in real life? And that doesn't make the person in the audience a jealous bitch indulging in wishful thinking?

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Aug 24, 2010 5:47:36 PM

23. Pass. I abandoned Glee midway through the first half of the season because I can't stand the camp over the top qualities of all the characters of the show (and the writing felt kinda lazy). I really do hope this character isn't a rehash of a coming out story (though I get the idea that audiences should see several versions). Couldn't they come up with something more original though than the Quarterback of the football team?

I honestly am much more interested in Artie and Tina, underdeveloped talents on the show.

Posted by: Drew | Aug 24, 2010 7:03:27 PM

24. YAWN, this story is already being done, and almost finished up, with Riley & Zane on Degrassi. So not only are GLEE's characters as flat as cardboard, now the writers are stealing from Degrassi. GLEE just sucks & the people who watch it prefer to be brain dead while in front of the tube, as the stereotypical characterizations on that show require no discernable thought whatsoever.

Posted by: Ian | Aug 24, 2010 7:41:00 PM

25. I can see the appeal of this show to children and teens straight and gay.

But to adults - this is just silly pandering stuff.

Jane Lynch aside - this show and it's adult fans turn my stomach.

Posted by: rjp3 | Aug 24, 2010 8:53:30 PM