Bill O'Reilly | Gay Marriage | Glenn Beck | News

BigGayDeal.com

Glenn Beck: Gay Marriage is Not a Threat to America

Beck

Bill O'Reilly asked Glenn Beck about threats to the country, and asked him his thoughts on gay marriage.

Said Beck: "Honestly, I think we have bigger fish to fry. You can argue about abortion or gay marriage or whatever all you want. The country is burning down...I don't think marriage, that the government actually has anything to do with...that is a religious right...I believe that Thomas Jefferson said, 'If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference is it to me?'"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via huff post)

Comments

1. Glenn Beck hot? No. Never.

Glenn Beck as Scary the Clown? Definite YES.

Glenn Beck on our side? Scarier.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 12, 2010 10:49:15 AM

2. Too bad for them all their bullshit is still on tape, to be seen for years to come.

Not all history can be so easily revised.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 12, 2010 10:58:33 AM

3. he makes a good point, but read between the lines! he's also covering his tracks by saying that marriage is a strictly religious matter (which in this country it isn't), thereby still suggesting that gays shouldn't have this right. it's a civil right, not a religious privilege!

Posted by: the coolbirth kid | Aug 12, 2010 11:01:06 AM

4. By the way, anyone notice his downplaying of abortion as an issue of importance? Thats actually somewhat surprising, considering the pro-life advocates have actually gained some steam over the years (unlike the anti-SSM folks)

Posted by: Wes | Aug 12, 2010 11:03:25 AM

5. I have been telling you all for months that Beck is NOT ANTI-GAY. His religious beliefs tell him it's wrong but he does not impose his stuff on others, they are his beliefs and he is entitled to them. I have heard him SEVERAL times make this EXACT same comment. I've encouraged you all to look at the REAL clips, not the soundbytes.

It is attitudes like Beck's that are going to get us what we want. We need more conservatives to say, "Gay marriage doesn't matter to me." We're not going to convince all conservatives to become activists for our side, but if we get them to stop being ANTI-gay and gay-neutral, we're golden!!!

Posted by: BC | Aug 12, 2010 11:14:37 AM

6. BC, the same cannot be said for O'Reilly, who has indeed hinted at a changed tune as of late.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 12, 2010 11:26:14 AM

7. Could be a problem for Democrats if Repubs get off our case. Many gays I know, especially older ones that are more likely to vote, tend to be conservative on most issues other than gay rights. But a lot of us of all political stripes are being hit hard by the second Depression here being more vulnerable than straights, so who knows?

In any case, I think Dems need to get off the dime about us. November looks like a close election.

Posted by: romeo | Aug 12, 2010 11:36:44 AM

8. They have just realized there are LOTS of slimey gay ELITISTS who will sell out all other progressive groups if the GOP gives them equal rights ---

Nothing worse than a Conservative Gay Man.
    NOTHING -- well except anti gay civil rights Blacks.

Posted by: tonyx | Aug 12, 2010 11:38:15 AM

9. Where in Canada is there a problem with churches having problems with speaking against gay marriage?

I'm in Canada, and I've never heard of this.

Posted by: Cam | Aug 12, 2010 12:01:50 PM

10. I don't care if Glenn Beck marries Bill O'Reilly, he's still a reactionary nutjob. And an asshat.

Posted by: Zinc Alloy | Aug 12, 2010 12:23:39 PM

11. Well, the idea is that this election is all about govt. spending and taxes and regulations. Social issues are to be downplayed. Ironically, lefty activists are pushing a social agenda this year, allowing fears about taxes and unemployment to go to the GOP/Tea Party as an issue.

Posted by: anon | Aug 12, 2010 1:01:09 PM

12. Neal Boortz was taking calls on the Prop 8 decision the other day and nailing his callers to the wall. It was awesome.

Posted by: Dusty | Aug 12, 2010 1:17:26 PM

13. "Many gays I know, especially older ones that are more likely to vote, tend to be conservative on most issues other than gay rights"

This is true, I think. I'd never ever vote for a Republican for even local dogcatcher --I started voting during the Nixon years and that left a scar-- but I've met a lot of gay men throughout the years who are a bit racist, bitch and moan about a $50 a year (= $1 a week) property tax increase because "it might go to some loser who doesn't want to get a job", who want to nuke Russia > China > the Middle East > whoever the chosen bad guys are this week etc.

The Republicans (and Blue Dog Democrats) have been very successful with their professional gay bashing as a cover while they loot the treasury, but they probably realize that it's a generational thing, that in another 20 years professional gay bashing will be a loser issue.

Frankly, the Democrats digust me more. The Republicans are just being the same party they were 35 years ago --pandering to racists, nativists and the easily frightened for their corporate lords-- while the Democrats have shown the spine of jellyfish, they cave at the slightest bit of blowback. They'll take The Gays money but they sure do find us an embarrassment too many times for comfort. As David Frum noted recently "The Republicans fear their base, the Democrats hate theirs" (ie gays, women and labor).

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 12, 2010 1:19:05 PM

14. laura bush,the power of laura bush eyes!!!!she did it!!!bless her and her powerful eyes

Posted by: sal | Aug 12, 2010 1:24:41 PM

15. It seems after the Judge Walker decision that they are going to start looking like real fools if they continue siding with the losing side.

Posted by: AidenRaccoon | Aug 12, 2010 1:54:18 PM

16. DOMA "picks my pocket" every year to the tune of $3k-$5k a year since my husband and I have to file as single taxpayers.

Posted by: Rucka | Aug 12, 2010 2:06:20 PM

17. Beckie, honey, you're right. Gay marriage is NOT a threat to America.

However, sweetcakes, YOU are!

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 12, 2010 2:44:20 PM

18. Gay marriage will bring money into this very poor economy. That is why the talking points have shifted. It also could be that every 5 seconds a new Tea Bagger is found to be a true Tea Bagger. Glenn Beck, welcome to your life. He certainly doesn't have positive relationships with women, based on my reading. That doesn't mean that makes him gay, but please, just connect the dots. I am fascinated that someone here finds him attractive. I don't get it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Posted by: ZaZu | Aug 12, 2010 3:48:12 PM

19. No mercy! Besides, he's a mormon...and that's creepy weird. Much like the mormon church is trying to reinvent its image through a series of propagandist commercials where so-called "real" mormons tell stories about their interests and lives in a desperate attempt to impart that mormonism can "make you a chess grandmaster, too!" (imagine NAMBLA doing that? I mean...just following a person around as he talks about his interests and his family and how he's really into mountain climbing and skydiving...and at the very end saying that he's a pedophile?)...FOX news and the professional right are trying to rebrand itself as the face of tolerance...in the case of the mormons, it's all for Mit Romney and their secret plan of taking over the u.s. government...with fox it's about money.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 12, 2010 4:07:17 PM

20. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Posted by: BobC562 | Aug 12, 2010 4:19:13 PM

21. One enduring quality of the GOP is to look you in the eye & lie.
    They realize elections often come down to razor-thin majorities. If they can peel off a few naive gay votes and win, they'll do it.
    Once they're in power, their other enduring quality...HOMOPHOBIA...will once again take precedent.

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Aug 12, 2010 4:59:32 PM

22. Beck is not a complete idiot.

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 12, 2010 5:52:49 PM

23. Sorry but anything Beck says is for his own motives and hardly a support for the LGBT community. He is evil and nothing he says should be considered in our corner. He is the McCarthy of today and no one should forget that.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 12, 2010 7:34:32 PM

24. What's the problem with Canada ... Beck says "as long as we dont end up like Canada" ? I live in Canada & am unaware of any problems imposed upon "the church" up here.

Posted by: SearchCz | Aug 12, 2010 8:29:26 PM

25. He still has it wrong. Marriage IS NOT a religous right. It is a civil right administered by the government. Plain and simple. The church has no right to marry anyone other than in a non binding ceremony. They still need the government to give them the power to marry and to issue a license to make the union lawful and binding.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Aug 12, 2010 8:37:37 PM