AIDS/HIV | Crime | News | Ray Gosling

BigGayDeal.com

BBC Presenter Ray Gosling, Who Admitted Killing Lover Dying of AIDS, is Charged with 'Wasting Police Time'

Back in February I posted about BBC newscaster Ray Gosling, who admitted in a documentary on death and dying that he had killed a lover who was dying of AIDS. Gosling was arrested and questioned over the admission.

GoslingGosling won't be charge with murder. He'll be charged with wasting the police's time:

"Helen Allen, a lawyer in the special crime division of the CPS, said Gosling had been interviewed several times by police and an 'extensive investigation' had been conducted into his claims. 'The police established that there was sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of proving that Mr Gosling's confession was false and asked the CPS to consider whether he should be prosecuted for wasting police time, given the amount of work they had to carry out to establish what had happened,' she said. 'After careful consideration of all the evidence I decided that Mr Gosling should be prosecuted for wasting police time and advised the police to obtain a summons to that effect.'"

Said Gosling regarding the charges:

"I'm sorry if the police think they wasted their time. It was a small item on a regional TV programme, Inside Out, to my people, with whom I have had an intimate relationship. It got out of hand that winter evening. I had had a week or two talking to people who had told me of the pacts they had had – some fulfilled with wives, lovers, husbands, who were dying in pain and some told me of pacts unfulfilled. I did not expect it to cause this fuss, I'm not joining any cause. I know what some people say, that I said what I did for publicity to promote a book I'm writing. That is absolutely not true, I haven't finished the book yet. Some people say I did it to revive a dying career. I didn't. I said it out of my heart, out of my feeling for people who had told me their intimate private stories and it got out of hand and I'm sorry."

Watch Gosling's confession, if you missed it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That's rich--it sounds like the police wasted their own time!

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 20, 2010 9:39:00 AM

2. SO from his statement, that means he did lie about it?

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Aug 20, 2010 9:48:19 AM

3. Can we charge him for wasting our time too?

Posted by: Karl | Aug 20, 2010 10:43:06 AM

4. Oh well - they can always prosecute me instead.

I've helped three people I loved die, one of them my partner of 14 years. It's sad and difficult, but it's no more scary, scandalous, or macabre than having helped them eat while they were still strong enough to do so.

The fact that it's illegal is a reflection on a self-deluded culture of cowards who'd rather prohibit compassion and simple decency than suck it up and do the right thing. After all, when someone let's his dog live in agony with no hope of improvement, we call the SPCA.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Aug 20, 2010 2:53:27 PM

5. Only you can waste your own time, unless you're forcibly confined or something. Police fail.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 20, 2010 4:28:30 PM

6. Should we believe someone who says he's not promoting his book when he's explaining it to a reporter...?

Posted by: Gay Texas | Aug 20, 2010 6:42:26 PM

7. This guy should be ashamed of himself. He's just a smartass who got called out on one of his probably many lies.

Posted by: neckbeard | Aug 20, 2010 8:58:00 PM

8. Bryan Harrison speaks a lot of sense, more people should listen to him,
    if you truly love someone or some animal ,you set them free from their pain etc. that is the greatest love.

Posted by: jinty | Aug 21, 2010 3:21:24 AM

9. Oh, indeed he should pay a fine of £5.00 to everyone who had to watch that minute of video. What a cheesy asshole with apparently no journalistic ethics whatsoever.

Posted by: Scot Colford | Aug 21, 2010 5:28:29 PM