AIDS/HIV | Iowa | Jeremy Walters | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Iowa GOP Condemns Republican Candidate Jeremy Walters for Saying AIDS is Punishment for Sin of Homosexuality

Walters

Jeremy Walters, an Iowa GOP candidate for Congress, running in House District 67 against state Rep. Kevin McCarthy, D-Des Moines, posted a series of messages on Facebook last week suggesting that AIDS is a punishment for homosexuality.

Walters  The Iowa Independent first noted the messages, posting screenshots (above) on its website.

The Des Moines Register reports that the Republican Party of Iowa has condemned Walters' remarks:

"The civil rights group One Iowa on Tuesday called for the Republican Party of Iowa to disavow the comments by Walters, who is challenging state Rep. Kevin McCarthy, a Democrat, in House District 67. Later Tuesday, Matt Strawn, the party's chairman, said in a statement: 'Mr. Walters' comments are inappropriate and in no way represent the beliefs of the Republican Party of Iowa. HIV/AIDS does not discriminate, and our hearts and prayers go out to any Iowa family facing this disease.' Walters at first told the Register that he had no plans to remove the posts. But he said Tuesday night that after talking to Republican officials, he took the messages down. 'I'm sorry, that's how I felt because I had friends that passed away of having AIDS,' said Walters, a stay-at-home dad who works part time cleaning cars. A party spokeswoman said Walters had planned to volunteer at the party's State Fair booth but will not be allowed to do so."

Comments

1. Uhm. If his grammar is any indicator of his intelligence, I am not surprised by his comments. I really hope that the people of Iowa do not elect someone who A] Is an ignorant bigot, or B] doesn't know when to use your/you're or recognize that a lot is in fact, two words.

Posted by: Danny | Aug 18, 2010 8:17:05 AM

2. You're ignorant of the book you quote from, you're logic is at best that of an imbecile and I feel terribly sorry for your children because they have you as a father, someone that one day they will be embarrassed to say they looked up to.

And that's how I feel.

Posted by: Bart | Aug 18, 2010 8:20:37 AM

3. Fortunately this guy is not running for a seat in the US Congress, just the Iowa state House. There no federal congressional district numbered 67 in that state.

Posted by: James C. | Aug 18, 2010 8:21:17 AM

4. and the countdown till we discover Walters is a rent-boy hiring closet case begins...NOW!

Posted by: dizzy spins | Aug 18, 2010 8:31:50 AM

5. So . . . what does he feel the punishment is for eating pork and shrimp? Last I looked the bible clear states that doing so is an abomination. I wonder if he believes that rape victims should be arrested and put on death row? Does he believe the world flat as well? Hell, the bible clearly states that God approves of abortion, does he?

Bottom line, there is a hell of a lot written in the bible that we as a society (including the Republican Party) find abhorrent. Why pick one line to justify a point when you'd never use the remainder. Just plain ignorant.

Posted by: LiamB | Aug 18, 2010 8:53:02 AM

6. Sinclair Lewis "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.”

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Aug 18, 2010 9:02:23 AM

7. This morning the guy "apologized" and removed the posts, although he also changed his privacy settings, so who knows what sort of crazy stuff he's saying now.

Posted by: Paul | Aug 18, 2010 9:02:33 AM

8. I don't get it. These idiots that spout this old adage that AIDs is a punishment from god for being Gay are really giving god very little respect. If that is the case God is a very bad shot as more straight people die of AIDS than Gays.

Posted by: Brett | Aug 18, 2010 9:06:14 AM

9. 'I'm sorry, that's how I felt because I had friends that passed away of having AIDS,' said Walters

With 'friends' like him...

I also like how the Chairman of the Republican Party of Iowa says they don't discriminate, yet they want to do away with marriage equality. How hard is it, really, to talk directly and not out of each side of his mouth.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Aug 18, 2010 9:11:26 AM

10. God hates people with poor grammar!

Posted by: tish | Aug 18, 2010 9:35:34 AM

11. I haven't paid a lot attention to Iowa over the years, so I was surprised when the state Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality. Perhaps I should not have been so surprised.

"Iowa public schools were desegregated nearly a century ahead of 1954's Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka. The state was the first to admit a woman to the bar, in 1869 -- three years before the Supreme Court ruled that states could deny women the right to practice law. Iowa City, with its renowned writing program, became a nuclear-free zone even before Berkeley. And there is no death penalty in the state."

This type of bigotry probably does not play well in the state, even among conservative Republicans.

Posted by: Charlie | Aug 18, 2010 9:36:00 AM

12. He is sorry he got caught.

Posted by: Verdon Coleman | Aug 18, 2010 9:52:56 AM

13. Who the fuck is Leviticus and why should we listen to him ?
    Just because some desert nomad half crazed by his lonely meanderings says something asinine why does every "born again" pathetic wanker latch on to it without question ?
    Answer: Because it seems to support their innate bigotry.
    The bigotry comes first then the troll for quotes !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Aug 18, 2010 10:19:43 AM

14. I just want to know who Jason Bellinger, as in "Jason Bellinger likes this", is.

What an asshole.

Posted by: John P | Aug 18, 2010 10:21:01 AM

15. Why are all/most GOP members fat, round,smug,with smiles of self satisfaction ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Aug 18, 2010 10:22:39 AM

16. It's "you're". Dick.

Posted by: HellsKitchen | Aug 18, 2010 10:26:04 AM

17. Wow, ignorant as hell _and_ he doesn't know the difference between your/you're.

Posted by: TomSkylark | Aug 18, 2010 10:27:03 AM

18. Just a correction to the post, he's not running for Congress, he's running for a seat in the Iowa State House of Representatives.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 18, 2010 10:43:25 AM

19. Regardless of his views, I wouldn't vote for someone that cannot put together a coherent series of sentences. What sort of example would he set for The Children if he cannot compose his comments with halfway-proper grammar?

Posted by: comodude | Aug 18, 2010 11:22:37 AM

20. Not only is this sack of shit completely bigoted and uninformed, but he can't spell his way out of a paper bag.

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 18, 2010 11:39:30 AM

21. Have you noticed in the screenshot a thumbs up "Jason Bellinger likes this"? Check out his facebook page. He also like the following books: The Bible; Bible; Holy Bible; Pilgrim's Progress; Foxe's Book of Martyrs...
    What a freak!

Posted by: dali | Aug 18, 2010 11:43:57 AM

22. I am not against people having a gay life style and the statements made on facebook have been taken the wrong way. The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive and I deaply appologize. As far as the quote from bible; I was replying to someone elses post. It should have been posted as a comment on their page, not my Facebook wall.I appologize for the mistake and if this statement offened anyone.
    Both postings have been removed and these comments do not pertain to my campaign or the Republican Party of Iowa.My passion is to listen and learn from the people so I can represent them at the state house. Everyone makes mistakes, please forgive me.

Posted by: jeremy | Aug 18, 2010 2:02:54 PM

23. I've never been able to determine whether HIV/AIDS is a judgment from God or not. Some of you seem certain that it is not; how did you ascertain that?

Posted by: Patrick | Aug 19, 2010 5:15:45 PM

24. This guy will soon be arrested for propositioning a male cop in an airport bathroom or at a rest stop.

Posted by: Rich | Aug 20, 2010 12:12:26 PM