News | Steven Slater | Transportation

JetBlue Flight Attendant Steven Slater Held on $2500 Bail

Steven_slater

Overnight celebrity Steven Slater, who now has Facebook pages and websites dedicated to him, was arraigned in court today on felony charges of reckless endangerment and criminal mischief stemming from his dramatic exit down the emergency slide of an aircraft at JFK airport yesterday, following an altercation with a passenger.

More on yesterday's arrest

"Port Authority police said it took jetBlue 25 minutes to report the incident, allowing Slater time to leave the scene. Cops found him in bed with his boyfriend when they arrived to arrest him at a beachfront home in the Rockaways with a porch overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, sources said. He boasted to skeptical cops that he really did escape by chute with his carry-on luggage. 'Oh, yes, I did! I threw them down first and I went down after,' he told cops, sources said. He was grinning as police walked him in handcuffs to a squad car. 'He left with a big smile on his face,' said neighbor Curt Karkowski."

The WSJ reports:

"Before a packed courtroom, Judge Mary O’Donoghue set bail at $2,500. Slater, 38 and a career flight attendant, is charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment. His attorney, Howard Turman said his client is expected to post bail Tuesday. Slater’s appearance in Queens Supreme Court was accompanied with much fanfare. He walked into the courtroom in a green shirt and plaid shorts, wearing what looked like a smirk on his face — a reaction his attorney said was prompted by all the media coverage. 'I think he can’t believe the amount of attention this is getting,' said Turman, a legal aid. Turman did all the speaking for his client during the five-minute arraignment, and O’Donoghue ordered Slater to stay away from two airline employees who offered witness statements — something both sides said was a standard procedure."

More from the NYT:

"Mr. Turman said that on the ground at Kennedy, the female passenger 'was outraged and cursing' at Mr. Slater, who 'wanted to avoid a conflict.' Law enforcement officials said that after the passenger cursed at Mr. Slater, he grabbed the intercom, cursed her out, bid passengers goodbye, grabbed a beer, and activated the inflatable exit chute. When asked why Mr. Slater chose to go avoid the conflict by taking the emergency slide, Mr. Turman replied, 'It was right there.'"

Comments

1. Charge the passenger with assault.
    She broke airline rules, FAA rules and she assaulted the flight attendant, yet he is the one in trouble. I'm sure if it were a male passenger and a female flight attendant, the passenger would be cooling his heels in jail.

Posted by: Tracy | Aug 10, 2010 5:04:54 PM

2. Ok, let me just clarify; Im the original Anastasia Beverhausen.
    A. Beverhausen above is a fake and I have DNA tests to prove it.
    I fully agree with her legal Analysis though. But let's bitchslap now A.B.
    FREE SLATER!

Posted by: anastasia beverhausen | Aug 10, 2010 5:37:08 PM

3. That guy is no HERO, he is a selfish asshole who violated FAA safety rules by deploying the escape chute for no reason. He committed a federal offense and put himself above the safety of the passengers. He's an embarrassment to homosexuals everywhere and does nothing but hurt each and every one of us in the eyes of the public, not the least other male flight attendants, gay or not.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 10, 2010 5:58:13 PM

4. I could be Anastasia Beaverhausen, Esq. to avoid confusion. I'm not a member of the bar, but I've been thrown out of a few over the years.

Posted by: The Other Anastasia Beaverhausen | Aug 10, 2010 6:04:01 PM

5. The vast majority of the public has sided with him, Dave. So you'd be wrong.

Posted by: asdf | Aug 10, 2010 6:16:58 PM

6. Our hero. We love this guy. He'll be ok.
    And these other morons will still be in the back of the plane.

Posted by: kb | Aug 10, 2010 6:31:00 PM

7. No I'm right. He is a disgrace to the gay community. The vast majority of the public's opinion is not relevant here. We are a nation of laws and he, once being a flight attendant, knew the laws specifically as they apply to his role as a flight attendant and he knowing violated the law and in doing so put the safety of everyone in and around that aircraft in peril. He could very well have killed someone on the ground crew servicing that aircraft or a passenger could have walked out that door and fallen to their death. He cost his former employer at least 100k that day in the cost of replacing the chute and the expense of the cascading delay that he caused because he is a selfish asshole. He is facing up to seven year in prison for his needless act and he will never work again unless you call handing out towels at a bath house work. I sure hope he saved his money.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 10, 2010 6:43:27 PM

8. Dave, You are a great example of what's wrong with America. You say that what a majority of people think doesn't matter. Only your opinion does, I guess.

Lighten up a little. You'll live longer.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Aug 10, 2010 7:12:47 PM

9. Sorry, Davey Doodles. Still wrong. Most people consider him a hero of the working class and a crusader against rude behavior. If anything, the fact that a gay man has become an icon of our times is quite remarkable. He's no disgrace.

As for work, I'm purty sure he's gonna be fine. I'd wager he's considering multiple offers right now.

Posted by: asdf | Aug 10, 2010 7:32:54 PM

10. I’m what’s wrong with America? Hardly. Lighten up? I could not be lighter when I’m at a concert, partying with friends or frolicking gaily in a field of flowers; however, work as a flight attendant is very different than that of most industries. When your role entails ensuring the safety of the flying public, your flight crew and the ground crew the margin for error is narrow and you have to put yourself not second, but 500th. His lack of professional control is shocking. Attitudes that what he has done is permissible in anyway is symbolic of what is wrong with America. In this matter, my opinion, yours and that of the public is not applicable, it matters in so much as I think it’s a nice day but who cares. If the vast majority of people thought that it was of to shit on the street, the vast majority of people would be wrong.

He, in throwing his hissy-fit violated FAA regulations he literally committed a FEDERAL OFFENCE. I for one prefer living in a society where people know the difference between self and selflessness. If he felt threatened he could have had the guy arrested for disobeying a member of the flight crew; instead, he behaved like an idiot and put everyone’s safety second. He is lucky that he didn’t kill someone.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 10, 2010 7:46:38 PM

11. Dave - sweetie - WTF - look in the mirror -

Sure, maybe he made a mistake, but disgrace to the gay community? Not so fast buck o.

Posted by: Fred | Aug 10, 2010 7:48:26 PM

12. Would somebody, ANYBODY please fuck Dave? His hole has sealed itself shut.

Posted by: asdf | Aug 10, 2010 8:00:05 PM

13. Every time I see this guy, all I think is "Penny's is having a sale!".

Posted by: Tom | Aug 10, 2010 8:31:17 PM

14. What a drama queen! Yeah, it was pretty fricken' funny though. I've been on plenty of flights where there is ALWAYS some idiot who jumps out of their seat and starts getting their luggage on an active runway. He obviously over-reacted but if I got hit in the head by some idiots luggage I would be pissed also. He should have gotten the stupid passenger arrested. In any event, he should go free.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 10, 2010 9:33:16 PM

15. You, Diva Slater, are my MOTHERFUCKING HERO!!!

But I have a question:

If bail is set at $2500.00, don't you only have to come up with 10% of that to slip-n-slide out of jail on a JetBlue chute? If so, that means Diva Slater (my MOTHERFUCKING HERO!!!) can't come up with 250 bucks to get sprung from jail.

I know they work flight attendants like slaves - with the slave wages to boot - but DAMN! I'd have my boyfriend (who he allegedly was in the middle of fucking when the police showed up at his front door) work the ho stroll up in the South Bronx fou a couple hours and get my ass outta jail!

I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 10, 2010 10:14:56 PM

16. I'm in for $50. Do they take Visa or do I have to wire it from my bank? None of that PayPal crap, please; I'm so over them.

Hey, maybe we can get Target and Best Buy to redeem themselves by allowing gift card balances to be contributed to the Slidin' Steven Slater Bail & Legal Defense fund. I'd go to Target just to make the donation.

Posted by: The Other Anastasia Beaverhausen | Aug 10, 2010 11:13:13 PM

17. Wow what a story:
    I really wish for him he would have had the woman arrested for not complying with instructions before the plane made it to the gate. And sued her for bodily harm.
    However having worked with the public most of my life (waiter) I can understand how you want to snap. One idea that made me laugh is that the woman who must have been in a hurry to get somewhere was most likely very delayed by the shoot deployment. Sorry for the other folks, But HA HA for her. If a customer ever hits me even with an object I am calling security and the LBPD.

Tom in Long Beach

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Aug 11, 2010 1:15:16 AM

18. ALEX borrow the douche bag that CHRIS should have used by now and get a grip on life's little comedies.

Posted by: Lead | Aug 11, 2010 5:29:35 AM

19. Wow, Dave... Living with, or even knowing you, must be a real hoot! You certainly don't come across as pedantic......

Posted by: TheNiebur | Aug 11, 2010 7:48:56 AM

20. I have been a Flight Attendant for 5 years...I know the pay, conditions, customers, and expectations. This guy is nothing more than a crazy selfish idiot. Being a Flight AttendNt can be stressful and frustrating, sure. But I get MORE vacations to blow off steam than any job out there. I have been hit, threatened, cursed at, and disrespected by asshole customers on a weekly basis but NEVER would I endanger my fellow crewmembers or customer the way this guy did. Fed up? Yell and get out. But the lasting damaged he caused to a reputable airline like jetblue is selfish and ridiculous. Sorry everyone, but regardless of all the public support for this so called "hero" he is Going to jail and will pay more than$2500 in bail. He will owe jetblue hundreds of thousands in damages. He is a dumb ass...

Posted by: FlightAttendant5years | Aug 11, 2010 2:07:44 PM

21. girlz, this is the way to leave a job.

with dignity and drama

you just know this bitch has watched valley of the dolls over 1000 times.

you just know

Posted by: shanghai lil | Aug 11, 2010 6:10:41 PM

22. as someone who worked 26 years for the airlines I say bravo, Chris!

Posted by: Peter | Aug 11, 2010 6:42:01 PM

23. sorry that's BRAVO Steven!

Posted by: Peter | Aug 11, 2010 6:45:08 PM

24. As A must fly every week I have to say there are one hell of a lot unhappy crew on must flights. It seems they think we are inconveniencing their life, forget that we are paying their salaries.

There are times when the shoe is on the other foot and this might have been one of them; enough is enough so let the new folk hero have his 20 minutes on Leno, Letterman etc. Maybe it will help both ends of the aisle.

I still resent the $50.00 baggage charge, enough with the 9/11 trauma we have moved on and the airlines made $56,000,000.00 on that little charge, give me a break,.

If it is under 250 miles I’ll either drive or take a bus or a train.

Posted by: EJ | Aug 11, 2010 7:26:15 PM

25. this guy was really something! and he's cute too!

Posted by: glenn beltz | Aug 12, 2010 8:35:15 PM