Ken Mehlman Co-Chairing Major Fundraiser in Case Against Prop 8

Just got off the phone with Chad Griffin, Board President of the American Foundation for Equal Rights, the organization challenging Proposition 8 in federal court, regarding former RNC Chair Ken Mehlman and reports that he is about to come out of the closet.

MehlmanGriffin tells me that Ken Mehlman is chairing a major fundraiser in late September that has already raised over $1 million for the organization battling Prop 8. The fundraiser is co-chaired by prominent Republican donors Paul Singer and Peter Thiel and will be held at Singer's home.

A large number of other Republicans are co-hosts of the fundraiser including Mary Cheney, Margaret Hoover, and Steve Schmidt. Dick Gephardt is also among the hosts.

Said Griffin to Towleroad:

"Mehlman has committeed his own resources and been an integral part of the team at the American Foundation for Equal Rights. Our goal is to get as many people who aren't on the side of gay marriage on our side, and once they are here, to welcome them."

Said AFER board member Dustin Lance Black:

"Ken represents an incredible coup for the American Foundation for Equal Rights. We believe that our mission of equal rights under the law is one that should resonate with every American. As a victorious former presidential campaign manager and head of the Republican Party, Ken has the proven experience and expertise to help us communicate with people across each of the 50 states."

Towleroad has obtained a copy of the invite to the fundraiser:

Aferinvite

Comments

1. There is a whole lot of douchebag going on in that fundraiser, Mehlman, Mary Cheney, Christie Whitman.

Posted by: David | Aug 25, 2010 11:26:27 PM

2. Wow, some of you are pretty ridiculous. Are you saying that there's no such thing as rehabilitation, and that no matter how much one tries to correct the wrongs in his life, there is no redemption?

I could think of a few other situations I could apply that to which would offend your whiny liberal sensibilities. But, of course, you don't care about being consistent.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 26, 2010 12:02:16 AM

3. Save it for your AA meeting, jack...seriously... Yup, there are some things you can't make up for, some wrongs you can't right.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 26, 2010 12:05:53 AM

4. You pathetic people that will eat any kind of shit just so some monsters can momentarily try and cleanse their fucked up consciouses.

WE DON'T NEED THEIR BLOOD MONEY. WAKE THE HELL UP.

Posted by: rick | Aug 26, 2010 12:32:58 AM

5. So, who RSVPed No to such a stunning group that also includes Mary Cheney and Mike Huffington?

Posted by: mjesf | Aug 26, 2010 12:56:01 AM

6. Is it too late to shove this guy back IN the closet? I don't want him, do you? He's done enough damage already.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 26, 2010 1:40:59 AM

7. $5,000 a ticket?! What's in the lube: gold flakes?

Posted by: Jimbo | Aug 26, 2010 5:12:12 AM

8. SKANK!

I find it sad that some gays (probably few lesbians) will find acceptance in their so called "heart" or just let his past go.

THIS GUY SHOULD NOT EVEN BE ALLOWED IN GAY BARS!

SKANK!

Posted by: Glenn Rivera | Aug 26, 2010 5:44:32 AM

9. So, we should trust a guy who has sold his soul to the homophobes for years ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Aug 26, 2010 9:32:41 AM

10. I'm not ready to make nice. Get back to me in a couple of years.

Posted by: Chairman Mo | Aug 26, 2010 9:54:43 AM

11. And considering that Mary Cheney is on the agenda as well, I'm not gonna embrace this. I feel sorry for both of them, but their toxicity calls for an extended sabbatical in the desert.

Posted by: Chairman Mo | Aug 26, 2010 10:00:48 AM

12. Screw the GOP they will gladly take your money while they are shipping your job overseas so they can sit by the pool in their gated community sipping martinis pool side. Now that they look to the tea-leaves and see that they don't have a future they seek the gay vote? Not in my lifetime!

Posted by: Dave | Aug 26, 2010 10:46:57 AM

13. Oh I guess, it's all ok now, this bastard decided to do us a favor.
    Lets all sing, and hold hands.

Fuck that, if you limp-wristed fucking queers want to let it all go, you go right ahead and when they lead you to the gas chamber then come out of the closet, Dont fucking say a word, but Just for the records I am one pissed off Father fucking Fag,
    This shit stain asshole, should get on his knees put the gun to his head and do the world a favor and blow his soul back to hell. Do I sound upset, your goddam right I am,
    would I gladly watch him die right in front of me and not lift a finger to stop his death. You goddam right I would.
    and just so you understand me , I am not a christian, my god did not die on a cross, my god is this earth and she knows just what to do with a creature like this, she does not offer forgiveness, but she does require ands expects that the evil you do you pay for.

May he die alone, screaming the names of his victims.

Be it said, so be it done

Posted by: Austin Rozzell | Aug 26, 2010 10:54:40 AM

14. You are all pretty pathetic...

You are a fag in the worst sense of the way. People like you are why I consider voting republican every once in a while.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 26, 2010 11:47:19 AM

15. "Tank: really? "Save it for your AA meeting?" You think that hurts? Funny, since I couldn't drink even if I wanted to..."

Sooooo, you're defective... Gotcha! And Jack, you're a moron; a stupid useful idiot that can be relied upon by the worst of us to toe whatever agenda line is being promoted. I couldn't care who you vote for, because I don't consider you a member of my community. Better people than you and mehlman will prevail in terms of gay rights. Better people have prevailed. That's a pretty low bar, though.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 26, 2010 2:32:28 PM

16. Too little, too late. Mehlman is the insidious face of a self-hating, closeted homosexual. He doesn't even deserve to be called "gay".

What harm this man has done! He stood there at the apex of Republicon power in 2004 and said nothing as that execrable Karl Rove manipulated the hatred and fear of LGBT people the Republicon "base" harbored and used it to draw those people and like-minded people to the polls.

Rove knew full well that in order to "get out the vote", an issue like same-sex marriage was crucial to the Republicons' electoral strategy. He used LGBT people as pawns in an electoral con-game. He did so shamelessly, almost gleefully.

And, Mehlman stood at Rove's side and said nothing.

We knew even then that Mehlman was "gay". Rover knew Mehlman was "gay". Everyone, including Mehlman, knew Mehlman was "gay".

And, Mehlman stood silently by as the Republicon propaganda machine, that buzz-saw of hatred and resentment, wended its way through the 2004 elections. There has never, but never, been a political campaign that spewed forth such vile, spiteful and hateful misinformation.

One asks how many other closeted gay men, women, and adolescents suffered at the hands of the Republicon hate-machine? What suicides were the result of that despicable surge of evangelical hatred and vitriol against the LGBT community?

Sorry, Ken. This is one betrayal that cannot be forgiven.

However, Ken, you are now the pin-up boy for the Log Cabin republicans and the GOProud butt-boys. Maybe you can do a Levi Johnston thing; you know, pose in a towel. I bet those GOProud and LCR homos will just die to see their back-stabbing, cowardly, dishonest, two-faced, shameless hero pinned up on their bedroom walls. Or, maybe, an image for their iPOD screens.

Enjoy your new, "out" life, Ken. Make lots of money doing speaking engagements to all the "gay republican" groups. Write a book about how much you suffered in the closet, even as you drank, ate, back-slapped, connived, ass-kissed and partied with your Republicon buddies.

Power's a great thing, Ken. Gets you into ALL the best places, gets you the best seats, gets you into all those fabulous parties and fund-raisers. It's a life you'll still be able to enjoy, Ken.

I hope you choke on an hor d'oeuvre, asshole.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 26, 2010 2:56:50 PM

17. Ken should be ashamed of himself, but I hope that he can do something productive with the rest of his life (instead of the destructive past that he lived...).

Maybe he can get a date with Larry Craig?

Posted by: TonyJazz | Aug 26, 2010 3:09:14 PM

18. Ted Olson , who gave us Bush's stolen first term by arguing that case in front of the Bush I - packed Supreme Court. Mehlman, who gave us Bush's second term by riding on the coattails of homophobic ballot initiatives in key swing states.

Why are these people choosing the Prop- 8 battle at this time ? Why the sudden concern? Does anyone really believe the Scalia Thomas Supreme Court will rule for gay marriage?

Is it possible that Mehlman, Olson, and their Republican friends are aiming to drive Christian right voter turn out in 2012 with the specter of this case advancing throught the Federal Court system?

Why are Machiavellian rich Republicans making the tactical decisions that are driving the gay political agenda? Is there actually ANY reason to trust these people AT ALL?

Posted by: hank | Aug 27, 2010 5:06:20 PM