News: Ben Cohen, Frog, Julian Clary, Kissimmee, Modern Family

Road NYT: Mehlman coming out "no bombshell" in age of fiscal issues.

Ben_cohen RoadBen Cohen's jock strap should attract a few bidders to the UK's Gay Sports Day auction.

RoadJohn Mayer goes postal over the Huffington Post.

RoadNew York State Senator Bill Stachowski records defensive robo-call about his attacks on gay marriage: "It's as though Bill Stachowski is no longer running against his opponent, Tim Kennedy, but he's running against you and Fight Back New York."

RoadJeremy Renner decides to accept Mission Impossible 4.

RoadLame Duck Laundry List: GOP includes DADT repeal in bills to block.

RoadKissimmee, Florida adds "In God We Trust" to the city's motto: "The vote comes after a Kissimmee city commissioner proposed adding the phrase 'In God We Trust,' to the city’s logo earlier in the year. The logo will remain unchanged. That stirred up a lot of controversy after Commissioner Art Otero said he wanted to add the motto in response to issues like gay marriage and abortion."

RoadWhat gave it away?

Frog RoadMicro frog species discovered in Borneo.

RoadMegachurch uses Modern Family opening for its own ends.

RoadJulian Clary: Is 51 too old for clubbing? "I thought back to my 20s and picked 10 gay men from the circle of my acquaintance and assessed their current circumstances. Back then we were all out and proud and full of frisky fun. What had become of us? Of the 10, six were partnered up, two were single and two were dead. Four had moved to the country, one emigrated to Australia and three remained in London. Four had gone bald. Two had taken cocaine in the last year (and complained that it wasn't as good as it used to be). Three of us had contemplated adopting children or approaching lesbian friends with turkey baster in hand but it had all been talk and no issue resulted. Five had dogs, of which four were small and camp. Three had been out to a gay club in the last year, and two had pulled."

Chi RoadNYC gay bar Chi Chiz to remain open for now.

RoadReal Housewives of New Jersey rehearse for Big Gay Italian Wedding.

RoadBlue Dog Democrat Bobby Bright of Alabama on the reasons he might not have to support Nancy Pelosi for Speaker of the House again: "Heck, she might even get sick and die."

RoadVintage Dolly Parton.

RoadThere seems to be some real life drama on the set of Glee.

RoadWanda Sykes: Bush administration wasn't anti-gay, but "pro votes".

RoadWhy does the Kentucky Farm Bureau hate gays? "Statements adopted by the Kentucky Farm Bureau's 2009 'Farm Bureau Policies' manual show that the institution believes LGBT people are abhorrent and immoral, and that public institutions ought to discriminate against people based on sexual orientation and gender identity."

Comments

1. Hopefully and jock that Ben has used in practice!

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 27, 2010 3:26:45 PM

2. RE: Kentucky Farm Bureau....

The more pertinent question is: WHY doesn't the US jettison the South? The region is a drain-- financially and intellectually-- on the rest of the country. The people of the region are certified idiots, because the smart ones move away as soon as they possibly can. If we can't burn the South to the ground and sow the scorched ground with salt, why can't we simply wall it off from the rest of the US and call it a day?

The rest of the US-- and the rest of the world-- will be grateful.

Posted by: Recovering Southerner | Aug 27, 2010 3:33:26 PM

3. John Mayer is a twit. I have no great affection for the Huffington Post, which is full of nonsense as much as it is full of news and sensible commentary. However, Mayer made himself a public figure when he pusued a public career. Don't whine about being the object of public scrutiny and gossip as you are pulling in millions on your concert tours.

Posted by: candideinnc | Aug 27, 2010 3:50:35 PM

4. Correction: Bobby Bright is the representative from Alabama's 2nd congressional district.

Posted by: Daniel | Aug 27, 2010 4:02:55 PM

5. If 50 is too old for clubbing, someone please get hold of me tomorrow night while I'm at Mario Diaz' Full Frontal in Chinatown L.A. I'll be the one flirting with the androgynous go-go boys while I'm dancing with my partner of 17 years. We won't stay out until Sunday, but I'll be having the time of my week.

To old? Not from where I sit, baby! Enjoy your weekend, whether you're on the dance floor or on the couch. (Next Saturday, I'll be on the couch!)

Posted by: hank | Aug 27, 2010 8:59:31 PM

6. Yeah, it's way too fuckin' old. Cuts down on other's enjoyment. And besides, if you're still clubbing at that age, you've failed at life.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 27, 2010 9:28:23 PM

7. Not you, Hank...that I know of, which I can't say that I do...but given your description, I wouldn't call you a "clubber".

Posted by: TANK | Aug 27, 2010 9:40:18 PM

8. "And besides, if you're still clubbing at that age, you've failed at life."

Being that snarky and judgmental at any time after adolescence is an equally strong indicator that something is amiss in the "I've Succeeded At Life" sweepstakes.

Posted by: Rob G. | Aug 27, 2010 10:31:39 PM

9. And doing a bump in the bathroom as you pathetically hit on dudes in vain who are decades younger than you isn't? After all, cunt, that's the point, ain't it?

Posted by: TANK | Aug 27, 2010 11:16:30 PM

10. Further, the only people who are really holding the torch here for the olds and are offended are old disgusting trolls themselves...of course you're offended...and if you weren't OFFENSIVE (and you creeps truly are...and you know exactly who you are...), perhaps you wouldn't be.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 27, 2010 11:19:08 PM

11. At 41 I've graduated from clubbing to pubbing.

Posted by: TomTom | Aug 28, 2010 7:07:20 AM

12. Actually, Tank, the only people who are offended by your comments are the ones still reading them. Most of us have learned to just skip them for the most part, because reading just one of your comments is the same as reading them all. You really are that dull and predictable.

Perhaps you should find a new hobby other than obsessively checking the Towleroad comment pages so you can insult the random, anonymous strangers that reply to you...

Posted by: ALC | Aug 28, 2010 10:54:32 AM

13. The Kentucky Farm Bureau may be homophobic, but given the animal husbandry contingent, how do they feel about bestiality?

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Aug 28, 2010 11:26:06 AM

14. Don't think, for a moment, that the KY Farm Bureau is unique in it's homophobia, reactionary conservatism, or its chemical industry-financed political agenda. Most agricultural states have farm bureau affiliates that fund PACs that are major donors to Republican causes.

Tank: you're a ninny. I'll bet your a nice enough guy, but you're still a ninny. I'm 51 and I bet I could club you like the baby seal you are...oh, different kind of clubbing. Never mind.

Posted by: JT - the original | Aug 28, 2010 1:31:35 PM

15. What does "pulled" mean in this context?

Posted by: Distingue Traces | Aug 28, 2010 1:32:17 PM

16. OOPS..."you're a ninny" I hate misspellllings

Posted by: JT - the original | Aug 28, 2010 1:32:35 PM

17. personally, I always loved the "daddies". I've never had any relationship with a guy younger than 36 when we met. the other three were in their 40's. I remember fondly the times I had in clubs as a young guy, (I'm 44, and old now myself) scoping the hot, supposedly sleazy (according to my twink friends who never understood why I didn't think like them) silverfox daddy's who kept themselves up, pursued life and other interests, and wanted to hook up with me. It was great! Now, clubs have drugs and skanks everywhere, nobody wants to hear about the great time me and my partner are having in the garden this weekend, there's just too many reasons why being my age and going to a club is a complete bore. Even Bear bar regulars have a "scene" with older guys like us, and many are partnered, but still, the skanky factor will never replace intimacy I have experienced with my lovers/friends, so maybe that's the real reason we grow out of it. Pink Pistols, barbeques, if we want to hear techno, we can always bring a radio! I know, boring, but that's the deal, really.

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Aug 28, 2010 3:22:44 PM