Human Rights Campaign | Minnesota | News | Target | Tom Emmer

BigGayDeal.com

Target to Take No Corrective Action Over Donation to Anti-Gay PAC

Target Corporation says it will not honor the Human Rights Campaign's request to "make it right" over its sizable donation to MN Forward, a conservative political PAC which has funded campaign ads for anti-gay gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. Emmer supports an amendment banning same-sex marriage in Minnesota, among other anti-equality measures including preventing gay and lesbian couples from using a surrogate mother.

HRC is responding by putting $150K toward pro-LGBT Minnesota candidates, the group says in a press release:

Target_emmer "After two weeks of good-faith discussions, and two tentative agreements, with Target Corporation, the company has informed the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization, that it will be take no corrective actions to repair the harm that it caused by contributing $150,000 to an organization supporting a vehemently anti-gay candidate closely associated with a Christian rock band that advocates death and violence to gay people. In response, HRC announced that it will devote $150,000 of its own resources to help elect a pro-equality governor and legislature in Minnesota. The next governor will likely have the opportunity to either sign or veto marriage equality legislation in the North Star State.

Said HRC President Joe Solmonese: “All fair-minded Americans will now rightly question Target’s commitment to equality. If they’re initial contribution was a slap in the face, their refusal to make it right is a punch in the gut and that’s not something that we will soon forget. However, with full marriage equality hanging in the balance in Minnesota, regardless of Target, it’s important that we as a community send a message that we will work tirelessly to elect pro-equality candidates.”

HRC tells Towleroad it will be supporting Mark Dayton for governor as well as fund "pro-equality legislative candidates and pro-LGBT causes."

Comments

1. and I will continue my HRC boycott since it wants to wag the dog over this still

Posted by: MadM@ | Aug 16, 2010 11:18:29 PM

2. Damn, there are a lot of people on this gay site who apparently have a problem with consumers making an informed decision about where they spend their money and what kind of influence they want corporations to have on their daily lives.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 16, 2010 11:28:33 PM

3. I think you can get just about anything you want from amazon. I personally will no longer shop at Target.

Posted by: Bruce | Aug 16, 2010 11:31:23 PM

4. And here in the NW, we have the gay friendly Fred Meyer stores too.

Bye, bye Target.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 17, 2010 12:09:54 AM

5. Dollar spent at Target in Aug 2009 $368.53
    Dollar spent at Target in Aug 2010 $0.00

Posted by: MN Gay | Aug 17, 2010 12:41:17 AM

6. I actually like the go to shop at Target but don't buy anything idea that someone else suggested. Fill a cart with stuff (preferably small so you get more in), go through check out but before paying just say - I changed my mind, your company donates to people who hate me. It kind of screws the employees but I actually think it could be quite effective.

Posted by: Stop the Insanity | Aug 17, 2010 12:44:57 AM

7. I just cut my Target card in two & will mail it to Target's CEO, Gregg Steinhafel, just as soon as I'm finished posting this comment. Along w/ the card, I wrote a note to Mr. Steinhafel expressing my decision to return the card and NEVER to step foot in Target again. I'm through being polite with corporate cannibal culture. You should be, too...

His contact info:

Mr. Gregg Steinhafel, CEO
    Target Corporate Headquarters
    1000 Nicollet Mall
    Minneapolis, MN 55440

Posted by: Marcito | Aug 17, 2010 12:47:37 AM

8. I guess a lot of these posters have never participated in a gay charity event. If they had, they would remember all the events where Target was the main sponsor.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 17, 2010 6:25:19 AM

9. So stupid. Target has decided to put it's politics ahead of its professed belief in equality. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. Target can make its stand but I'll never set foot in their stores again.

Posted by: matt | Aug 17, 2010 6:45:22 AM

10. I don't know how many of you live in MN but I swear to GOD this boycott better not backfire. If we end up with Tom KILL THE GAYS Emmer after 8 confounding years of Tim VETO THE GAYS Pawlenty I am gonna have to abandon my friends and family and move somewhere sane.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 17, 2010 7:32:17 AM

11. Jeff, I'd rather find other funding for charity events. Just because a company donates to gay pride (and other events) doesn't change the fact that FAR more money has been given to a group who, at the time, supported only ONE candidate... the guy who wants us either fully marginalized, or fully dead. No.

Seriously... we need to be more vigilant about watching our "friends".

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 17, 2010 8:47:46 AM

12. I tried to give Target a chance to make this right. But they won't. Just cashed in Am Ex Membership Rewards points for a year's membership at Costco. My family will be avoiding Target.

Posted by: JoeBlow | Aug 17, 2010 10:12:31 AM

13. The best idea I've seen so far is to go shopping at Target, load up a cart, push it to the checkout and leave it there with a note saying you can't support their policies & walk out.

Posted by: bearheim | Aug 17, 2010 10:13:38 AM

14. Derek- HRC wasn't demanding money, all they said was make it right, meaning give an equal amount of money to the DNC or another Dem group.
    My problem with HRC is that they are not very accurate in assessing scores i.e. keeping Target Corp at 100%. They also are slow to lobby DADT and ENDA, and should be helping more with local races and initiatives.

Posted by: ty | Aug 17, 2010 11:01:05 AM

15. @Joeblow: Costco is an excellent alternative to Target. Jim Sinegal, cofounder and CEO of Costco, is a major financial contributor to Democrat and progressive candidates. His total financial contribution is over $550,000 and not one cent has gone to Republicans. I'm honestly surprised Freepers' heads haven't exploded over that.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 17, 2010 11:18:14 AM

16. I received a flyer in the mail from Target. I grabbed a sharpie and wrote "return to sender" along with the message "I am boycotting Target due to the company's support of an anti-gay candidate. This is unacceptable."

Let's keep up the boycott and the letters. Once they're losing literally millions of dollars, they are more likely to reconsider.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 17, 2010 12:22:46 PM

17. Interesting.
    With this unfortunate decision Target Corp will have an incredibly difficult time convincing the VERY GAY and VERY politically connected GLBT San Franciscans to allow Target to sell their plastic shit at the 2 proposed new stores to be built in San Francisco. Was $150,000 worth it?
    We'll see?

Posted by: SFshawn | Aug 17, 2010 12:55:30 PM

18. Luckily Target Australia is totally unrelated, except in name. Not that I shop there anyway.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 17, 2010 1:27:07 PM

19. I wrote to both Target and Best buy on July 30th regarding the donation - Target sent back a form letter that was actually more offensive than the no response I got from Best Buy. I will not shop at either again anytime soon -- I work too hard for my money to have it used by conservative CEOs to pursue their own personal political agenda - which has nothing to do with business and everything to do with their conservative agenda. Neither of these stores is who they presented themselves to be.

Posted by: ricky | Aug 17, 2010 2:51:07 PM

20. @MICHAEL from one note blog LeoMat...
    Michael --just like FOX NEWS has his own narrative and it;s a bit tiring.
    HRC does NOT exist to support STATE ELECTIONS!!
    That is or WAS the reason for NGLTF or the TASK FORCE if you know your history. It was a turf war that HRC ceeded to.
    So go after the TASK FORCE and ask them how much money they are pouring into the MN election...or are they just interested in circuit parties only.
    Good for HRC in making it right if Target won't...now how about you open up your own wallet and DO SOMETHING cause I'm tired of your constant bashing.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Aug 17, 2010 3:47:06 PM

21. I liked Target's diapers for my grandson...but i will not stand for their b.s....now that they can spend all they want to hell with the little people...yes make Target...THE TARGET...i like that idea so anyhow that's all she wrote folks...No more Target..

Posted by: janet ramsos | Aug 17, 2010 6:16:04 PM

22. I do not shop at Walmart because they put American manufacturers out of business by buying only cheap foreign made goods, and now I can add Target for being bigoted.

Come to think about it, I never shopped at either one before, but now I have really good reasons not to ever start.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Aug 18, 2010 4:51:29 PM