Canada | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | News

Watch: Toronto 'Christians' Pray in Front of Gay Couple's House and Neighbors Drive Them Out

Toronto

Torontoist posted this video of a prayer group from Highfield Road Gospel Hall in the Dundas and Greenwood area of Toronto that apparently prays outside the homes of regularly harasses gay and lesbian couples.

The videographer, resident Geoffrey Skelding, writes:

"This is a group from a church at the end of my street. Apparently they have been grouping in front of a gay couple's house and reading their bible loudly for the past 7 years. They may have also driven a lesbian couple from the area as well by doing the same thing. Tonight most of our neighbours came out and were successful in getting them to leave. The people who go to that church don't even live in our area! Police came by shortly thereafter."

Says one worshiper in the clip: "We have an authority to preach the gospel. We've been doing this seven years."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via slog)

Comments

1. why hasnt the police been called

Posted by: DJ Fruit Loops | Aug 23, 2010 8:11:02 PM

2. Public nuisance is public nuisance, isn't it?

Posted by: latebrosus | Aug 23, 2010 8:11:17 PM

3. wow - please do NOT give the religious wack-jobs here any ideas...

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 23, 2010 8:14:36 PM

4. get out the garden hose - they look like they need a good baptizin'.

Posted by: wtf | Aug 23, 2010 8:20:47 PM

5. Agree with the garden hose idea!

Posted by: Randy O | Aug 23, 2010 8:24:14 PM

6. At least some Canadians know how to tell these small-minded creatures where to go and how to get there. Bravo Toronto!

Posted by: Tone | Aug 23, 2010 8:30:41 PM

7. I don't know for sure if this info is correct but I'm pasting from YouTube, the following is reported to be the assholes address and number:

Highfield Road Gospel Hall
    33 Highfield Rd & Dundas E
    Toronto, Ontario
    (416) 288-0389

Posted by: Dave | Aug 23, 2010 8:32:44 PM

8. I mean it's all nice and well that the neighborhood fought back... but it took them 7 years???? I would have been out there the first night with the garden hose.

Posted by: aleabeth | Aug 23, 2010 8:50:46 PM

9. What FANTASTIC neighbors!!! THey finally stood up against these bigots.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 23, 2010 8:51:43 PM

10. @Randy - Right on! I would have joined you with the Garden Hose. What is it with these so called "Christians". They are the first to whine when someone criticizes them, and also the first to stick their collective bigoted noses in everyone else's business.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 23, 2010 9:01:57 PM

11. 7 years? 7 fucking years!? Holy crap. Some folks are very slow to anger, I guess.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 23, 2010 9:06:38 PM

12. Until millions of christians who allegedly oppose these types of malicious and evil behaviors step up and denounce them, stating clearly that they are opposed to the values that these bigots hold, and that there's no place in christianity for them, this will continue...and they share the blame. Their silence, like the silence of the so-called moderate muslim...is deafening...and it's accomplice!

Posted by: TANK | Aug 23, 2010 9:10:44 PM

13. I didn't know Canada had garbage like this too. I'm sorry but again I saw too many blacks and african accents. My tolerance for these barbarians is over.

Posted by: Chad | Aug 23, 2010 9:14:45 PM

14. Maybe someone should stage a kiss-in across from their church.

As for the seven years, I'd imagine it is something like "monthly, for seven years" or, "on this date" for seven years. Still crappy, but I doubt they got all dressed up every night for seven years...right?? right?

Posted by: adam | Aug 23, 2010 9:15:48 PM

15. As they said, "We don't annoy you in your neighborhood." Perhaps someone should. The intolerance is intolerable.

Posted by: candideinnc | Aug 23, 2010 9:18:11 PM

16. I think a bunch of gays should hold a kiss-in (or is it a kiss-out, not sure) in front of their church. Fight fire with fire. I'm sick of these groups taunting people and not getting taunted themselves.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 23, 2010 9:28:22 PM

17. Chad says "I'm sorry but again I saw too many blacks and african [sic] accents. My tolerance for these barbarians is over."

I saw a white man and white people as the primary ring leader of homophobic religious hatred in this video!

Why are you such a racist, white person, Chad? The last thing we need from you is to racialize this incident. It has nothing to do with blacks, Africans, or race.

Posted by: veg | Aug 23, 2010 9:35:36 PM

18. How arrogant of these foreigners to preach on their hosts. I really will never understand these idiots.

Posted by: ♂ | Aug 23, 2010 9:40:05 PM

19. OK, um, the black guy could not have been any gayer...

Posted by: McMike | Aug 23, 2010 9:45:52 PM

20. So many Christians so few lions.

Posted by: Timzilla | Aug 23, 2010 9:55:03 PM

21. Uh ok, I live in Toronto and this is the first time I've ever heard of ANYTHING like this.

I would have soaked them with the hose first thing.

"Sorry, just watering the sidewalk.. look at all that dust.."

Posted by: Gridlock | Aug 23, 2010 10:02:23 PM

22. VEG:

We have a big issue here where I live with pentecostal / evangelical protestant churches among our especially newly arrived minority immigrant population. Haitians and more and more Hispanics seem to really dig these churches, along with of course most black folks who trace their roots to the American south. These churches here in The North are disproportionately minority. They are also unfortunately ultra-homophobic / anti-gay. Worse...yes worse...than the local Catholic Church. Catholic doctrine does not translate the bible literally as do pentecostals and evangelicals so they are at least marginally easier to deal with by comparison. As a homosexual, if I had the choice between a pentecostal or evangelical church on my block or having the most religious influence in my area vs a Catholic or mainline Protestant, I'd take the mainline Protestant or Catholic any day.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 23, 2010 10:08:05 PM

23. Conservative evangelical anti-gay Christianity is growing fastest among people from third-world nations, e.g., Africa, Asia, Latin America.

Welcome to the future of the rainbow coalition!

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Aug 23, 2010 10:34:10 PM

24. I live in Toronto. I am all for the idea of a kiss in or some sort of organized demonstration in front of their church. If they can do it so can we! I am rarely political but this just pisses me off to no end! Anyone else want to get something going?

Posted by: DavidH | Aug 23, 2010 10:41:02 PM

25. The hell with a garden hose, get a fire hose...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Aug 23, 2010 10:52:33 PM