Advertising | Egypt | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Egypt's Homoerotic Coca-Cola Commercial

Egypt

Via Copyranter comes this Coca-Cola ad from Egypt, highlighting the drink's new screw caps.

This ad crosses some pretty taboo barriers. Writes Copyranter: "Brave of the ad agency, Cairo's Fortune Promoseven, since the country has a de facto ban on homosexuality."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. that guy in the middle is lucky it was just a coke, watch how you spell that. Shukran.

Posted by: cd in DC | Aug 26, 2010 12:16:58 PM

2. the guy in the middle should die and go to heaven if it was spelled cock, that man is HOT

PS fuck you

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 26, 2010 12:25:50 PM

3. Cute!

Fuck you Egypt!

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 26, 2010 12:30:57 PM

4. how cute!

he has a girl's hand so he used a man's hand to unscrew his coke

Posted by: screwmycoke | Aug 26, 2010 12:56:15 PM

5. Of course they're gay. They're watching "Notting Hill." Hello...

Posted by: Timzilla | Aug 26, 2010 12:59:17 PM

6. Straight men in the Middle East routinely hold hands in public. Taking that into account, this ad about Coke's (written like Kak in arabic) screwtop seems even more twisted.

The gentlemen at Cairo's Fortune Promoseven must be western-educated.

Posted by: Fahd | Aug 26, 2010 1:05:30 PM

7. "Straight men in the Middle East routinely hold hands in public. "

I know that's true and, considering that fact, I'm doubt there is anything homoerotic about it from the Egyptian perspective.
    For example, the viewers think the man is just reaching over to hold hands with his friend (or uncle or cousin) -- just like any ordinary man might do while watching a movie -- and then --bang! -- the punch line is that he's just using the bigger guy's hand to open the new-fangled Coke screw-top.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 26, 2010 1:15:39 PM

8. C-
    Didn't feel homo or erotic.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Aug 26, 2010 1:23:45 PM

9. Better link here:

Posted by: Winston | Aug 26, 2010 1:23:45 PM

10. I wonder what the significance of the headshake is (i.e. the one the hottie gives before taking a sip of his Coke)... Would that be the Egyptian equivalent of 'no homo'?

Posted by: Smokey | Aug 26, 2010 2:32:13 PM

11. SO WHEN DOES HE GET BEHEADED????

Posted by: shannon | Aug 26, 2010 2:46:43 PM

12. I think I'm missing something. I don't really understand this commercial...

They're watching Notting Hill....hot guy grabs other guy's hand, uses it to open the Coke.

It is meant to make the viewer nervous that they're gay? And is supposed to be a "relief" to the viewer that they're not?

Am I overthinking this?

Posted by: HellsKitchen | Aug 26, 2010 2:50:23 PM

13. damnit! I want my Coke in bottles too!

Posted by: aleabeth | Aug 26, 2010 3:31:07 PM

14. LOL. If that is homoerotic I'm from another galaxy. Come on people. Come back to your senses. Still unable to understand other cultures' aproach to male to male contact?

Posted by: Lexxvsl | Aug 26, 2010 4:35:43 PM

15. @HellsKitchen: I think you're overthinking it from the eyes of someone used to seeing U.S.-style gay sterotypes in society and media, and you're underthinking it from the perspective of the culture it came from.
    To use an analogy, I'll asssume you've seen a rerun of I Love Lucy from the 1950's. Imagine that that gang were doing mid-1950's plug for Coca-Cola. The scene would be: The girls have won a bridge game and got to pick a movie,w hich ends up being a sappy, sad romance. Fred and Ricky are snoring next to each other in their seats. As sappy music plays from the unseen screen, Ethel wipes a tear with a kleenex. Lucy gently reaches over to hold onto Ethyl's other hand. Momentarily, we assume Ethel will be comforted, but without missing a beat, Lucy uses Ethel's larger, stronger hand to unscrew her co0ke bottle and then puts it back. Cue the laugh track.

Now put that scene in 2010 Egypt, where EVERY man is assumed to be straight, same-sex affection such as holding hands and kissing is common and ALWAYS assumed to be non-sexual, and ignorance of homosexuality is so entrenched that many people think it doesn't even exist in Egypt and that the suggestion that a "handsome" man could be gay is so absurd that it would never even occur to anyone.

We're not supposed to think they're gay. We're just supposed to think it's funny that someone uses a friend's hand as a screw-top opener.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 26, 2010 5:16:18 PM

16. I thought it was funny... geez.. you guys need to lighten up!

Posted by: Lee | Aug 26, 2010 6:36:50 PM

17. Where's the part where they bury him in the sand and stone him to death?

Posted by: sheeple | Aug 27, 2010 12:18:52 AM

18. I remember that line from "Pretty Woman". I never saw "Notting Hill". And I love the Lucy/Ethel analogy - you guys rock!!

Posted by: Mark | Aug 27, 2010 11:02:52 AM

19. Did some research - was wrong about the quote - OOPS!!

Posted by: Mark | Aug 27, 2010 11:15:46 AM

20. @GregV

While I completely agree with you, it's the fact that they are watching a romantic movie (with the actress specifically talking about love) while this is occurring that gives the scene homoerotic subtext more than the actual event. You have to wonder, though, with the movie being spoken in English in the background, how many Egyptian viewers would actually understand it well enough.

Posted by: Jake | Aug 27, 2010 11:30:29 AM